Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of NEOM candles scent throw

Hi everyone,

Because I'm using EOs, I bought a NEOM small candle (couldn't afford the 3 wick candles!) in Maroccan Rose and tested it in my small study to use as a benchmark against my own candles.

It does smell nice but the scent is subtle. Is this normal with EO scented candles?

Just had a look at their website, my god the price of some of them.
    I'm new to candle making myself and I use F/O's instead. Maybe they are not adding enough not sure though.

They do look nice candles.
    A very wise friend said to me once when I was training DO OR DO NOT THERE IS NO TRY.

Comment

<RantMode>

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!
      No further words needed I'm sure.

</RantMode>

Comment

Originally posted by W33 Eck View Post
        Just had a look at their website, my god the price of some of them.
        I'm new to candle making myself and I use F/O's instead. Maybe they are not adding enough not sure though.

They do look nice candles.
        For the price, I was expecting more scent throw.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
          <RantMode>

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!
          No further words needed I'm sure.

</RantMode>

Likelikelikelikelikelikelike

Comment

At the candle workshop last weekend, one of the students said they had brought a NEOM candles and it had a big hole appear near the wick downwards after burning it for a while and was this a quirky feature Of the candle

erm no ha

Comment

Are you not a fan of their work Spencer

Akamar - in my (somewhat limited) experience of making EO candles with little success as far as scent throw goes, I'd say that it is usual for them to have a very subtle scent. However, I'm not sure how they can justify that price if they can't really deliver on scent, so not sure thats on! Although to be fair to them, having just looked at their moroccan rose candle online they do describe it as having a 'soft scent' and being suitable for 'scenting smaller rooms'. Not sure calling it a 'treatment candle' and claiming that its perfect for headaches and hayfever is entirely ethical though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicky View Post
                At the candle workshop last weekend, one of the students said they had brought a NEOM candles and it had a big hole appear near the wick downwards after burning it for a while and was this a quirky feature Of the candle

erm no ha
                at that price, they should get a discount.

Comment

Originally posted by squeakyclean View Post
                  Are you not a fan of their work Spencer

Akamar - in my (somewhat limited) experience of making EO candles with little success as far as scent throw goes, I'd say that it is usual for them to have a very subtle scent. However, I'm not sure how they can justify that price if they can't really deliver on scent, so not sure thats on! Although to be fair to them, having just looked at their moroccan rose candle online they do describe it as having a 'soft scent' and being suitable for 'scenting smaller rooms'. Not sure calling it a 'treatment candle' and claiming that its perfect for headaches and hayfever is entirely ethical though.
                  to be fair, the scent throw was good, subtle but good and Rose Moroccan costs in the region of £20 for 5ml although I don't know they make their money on this candle if it is indeed 100% EO

Comment

That is a good point, not sure I'd waste pure rose eo on candles to be honest myself mind

Comment

Akamar - they will most likely include geranium EO (as well as aroma chemicals) instead of rose as its much cheaper and has a similar scent.

Found this - very interesting - http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...DJ_206801.aspx

Even though Neom state "100% pure essential oils", essential oils naturally contain well over 30 aroma chemicals which perfumers isolate to create FOs so Neom could be using parts of essential oils (aroma chemicals) and use that to justify the 100% claim even though this would mislead consumers. Using that method, the fragrance will be very cheap, same as us using an FO.

Another way they might be getting round it - adverts often say a product is 100% pure XXXX. Yes the XXXX they are using is 100% XXX but there's other ingredients in there too which aren't mentioned. So consumers read it that there aren't other ingredients and the product only contains the 100% XXXX as the advert mislead them. Neom could be doing the same.

an example, Rose FO formula to show that rose EO is used to create a rose FO as well as aroma chemicals:-

the numbers below are drops

383 Geraniol - found in palmarosa EO
                      265 Citronellol - found in geranium EO
                      155 EO Rose (Bulgaria)
                      115 EO Geranium (terpeneless)
                      30 Phenyl ethyl alcohol - found in Pine EO and other EOs
                      21 Linalool - found in lavender, bay laurel, neroli, bergamot, and sweet basil EOs
                      15 Alpha ionone - this isn't found naturally
                      8 Geranyl acetate - found in more than 60 essential oils, including Ceylon citronella, palmarosa, lemon grass,
                      (i haven't listed where the aroma chemicals below are derived from - do google if you're interested)
                      2 Phenylethyl butyrate
                      2 Aldehyde C8
                      1 Eugenol
                      1 Aldehyde C9
                      1 Citral
                      1 Butyl Phenylacetate
                      Last edited by itunu; 20-11-2013, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Exactly...since when was Bluebell an essential oil

Comment

Yes but I bet they sell because Rose smells so nice

Comment

Working...
                          X