Candle Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candle Testing

Okay folks, even though I have not started making them yet I have prepared a candle testing sheet for each fragrance I am going to use. I am not sure if I have left any info off the sheet and would appreciate it if you could have a look at the list below and see if I have missed anything out

Fragrance Used
    Fragrance Supplier
    Temp Fragrance was added
    Wax Used
    Dye Colour
    Container Description
    Candle No (1,2,3,4 etc)
    Wick Used
    Start Burn Time
    End Burn Time
    Pool Depth measurement
    Comments (i.e wick flame height, sooting, mushrooming etc)

I will be doing this for each scent I use. Now I know it might be a bit OCD but I have a set of vernier gauges I will be using to measure the pool depth.

Is there anything else I have missed out???

Getting up early Saturday to start!!
    A very wise friend said to me once when I was training DO OR DO NOT THERE IS NO TRY.

Hi Stuart

You may want to add wax supplier and wick supplier and dye supplier incase you change in future. OCD in my house stands for Obsessive Coffee Drinker.
    Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by W33 Eck View Post
      I will be doing this for each scent I use. Now I know it might be a bit OCD but I have a set of vernier gauges I will be using to measure the pool depth.

Is there anything else I have missed out???

Yes Stuart you have missed a few things, ambient temp, day of the week, full moon, shoe size but most importantly, where to get a set of Vernier gauges because Spencer will be down the ironmongers first thing tomorrow to get a set! (Now I just know he's going to say he's already got some)

Isabel

PS Are chandling and pedantic men synonymous???

Comment

Hahahahahaha that made me chuckle, forgot to say that I do have the ambient temp of the room I will be using. No full moons in this cycle.

The gauges I have I need for work and they have been calibrated to the national standard (haha)

Never thought about wax supplier, wick supplier etc thanks debs. Can't do coffee makes me come out in prickly heat!!!

Spencer you need one of these if you haven't got one already

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/calipers/3074571/

Great for accurately measuring diameters of containers and pool depth!!!!!
        A very wise friend said to me once when I was training DO OR DO NOT THERE IS NO TRY.

Comment

Also should mention you should make note when you use a new batch of the wax you're testing. Sometimes even the same wax, but from a different bag/batch can react differently. But yeah looks like you've got a great list to keep notes with - far more detailed than mine are!
          Jennifer

Welsh Candle Creations
          http://welshcandlecreations.blogspot.co.uk/
          twitter.com/WelshCandles
          facebook.com/WelshCandleCreations

Comment

Cheers Jen, I never thought of that, I will add it to the spreadsheet I created.

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
              Spencer will be down the ironmongers first thing tomorrow to get a set! (Now I just know he's going to say he's already got some)

Isabel

PS Are chandling and pedantic men synonymous???
              Originally posted by W33 Eck View Post
              Spencer you need one of these if you haven't got one already

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/calipers/3074571/

Great for accurately measuring diameters of containers and pool depth!!!!!
              I tell you what, you lot are unbelievable! I visit the forum, give my time (and hopefully good advice) for free to help you lot out and what do I get? Abuse! Extracting the urine (or Taking the P***) of the highest order!!! :P

I'll also tell you, you're not wrong in the slightest, Isabel! I do indeed have a set. Digital ones at that! Although I call mine Vernier Callipers (or "Vern" for short). Vern lives in the Candlearium next to Theo Mometer, Lou Menmeter, Wayne Scales... Also, Steve Stirringthingy, but we're not so sure about him...

@Stuart, the vernier is great for MP depth in glass container candles, but unsurprisingly not so good for pillar candles. As I mainly make non-container candles, I have resorted to measuring melt pool depth with a rather technical piece of equipment I like to call "a stick".
              Literally a stick. I poke it in until I feel resistance and measure it upon withdrawal. Stop snorking at the back of the class please! You know who you are, Isabel!!

On another note, if anyone would like copies of the sheets I use to record my test burns, then drop a postcard (or PM) to the usual address and I'll wing them your way.

Right, after a [email protected] day at the office, I need a glass of something fruity. Now where is RWR with that corkscrew!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                I tell you what, you lot are unbelievable! I visit the forum, give my time (and hopefully good advice) for free to help you lot out and what do I get? Abuse! Extracting the urine (or Taking the P***) of the highest order!!! :P

I'll also tell you, you're not wrong in the slightest, Isabel! I do indeed have a set. Digital ones at that! Although I call mine Vernier Callipers (or "Vern" for short). Vern lives in the Candlearium next to Theo Mometer, Lou Menmeter, Wayne Scales... Also, Steve Stirringthingy, but we're not so sure about him...

@Stuart, the vernier is great for MP depth in glass container candles, but unsurprisingly not so good for pillar candles. As I mainly make non-container candles, I have resorted to measuring melt pool depth with a rather technical piece of equipment I like to call "a stick".
                Literally a stick. I poke it in until I feel resistance and measure it upon withdrawal. Stop snorking at the back of the class please! You know who you are, Isabel!!

On another note, if anyone would like copies of the sheets I use to record my test burns, then drop a postcard (or PM) to the usual address and I'll wing them your way.

Right, after a [email protected] day at the office, I need a glass of something fruity. Now where is RWR with that corkscrew!?!?
                I knew it, knew it, knew it! I just knew you would have a set of these callipers! There's a club act I've seen advertised up here called Big Vern and the Shootahs (honest) wonder if he measures wax pools too.
                By the way-- I would never comment or snigger or snork at anything you say/do
                Steve stirrything.......snork!
                PS...you know you love being abused by me!!
                Last edited by holehouse; 08-11-2013, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X