Votive Burn testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Votive Burn testing

Hi, Im about to test my first votive (not the prettiest looking) after curing for 7 days. Is there a tried and tested method for testing burning of votives or candles for that matter. Burn time, wick performance etc etc, I did a search on the forum but nothing answered my questions completely.

Thanks

Debs

Hi Debs,

Tried and tested method? You're joking I presume?

Everything in this game is TRIED and TESTED, but there's no such thing as "industry standard" I'm afraid.
    You and I could make the same candle from the same wax, using the same FO, the same wick, the same dye, the same everything and they would still turn out being slightly different when it comes to burning.

When test burning votives I tend to follow a set pattern. No other candles (or any other fragrance systems) in the room, make sure the candle will be burning in a draft free area, ensure it's up and out of the way of kids/pets/drunk relatives and go for it.

Votives burn for a LONG time for their size but test burning means keeping an eye on them the whole way through. I have a sheet that I print out that has enough rows to record it's progress over the 15 or so hours it will burn. I record the length of burn time and then comments on hot throw, wick behaviour, melt pool size, flame behaviour etc... Might sound a bit overkill, but it helps iron out a lot of issues.

I have a similar sheet for all my candles and melts. It has a section at the top for details on candle type, specific ingredients, suppliers and all that malarkey. I have folders and folders full of them. Each and every test burn is in there for reference.
    My missus thinks I'm a little OCD with it all... But I have to point out I'm not OCD, I'm CDO. It's similar, but all the letters are in the right order, which is how it should be.... (Isabel, have I used that 'joke' previously? I do hate to repeat myself!)

Anyway, Debs. Just get test burning and record everything. It will help no end when it comes to trouble shooting.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Spencer101; 05-11-2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

LOL thanks for the honest no shortcut answer spencer, i have a new sheet in my workbook, I called it "ODE to Spencer Test Test Test"
      only joking, i appreciate the advice, im off to test.

Debs

Comment

Oooh, I love the idea of an ode to me

Let us know how you get on with the testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
          My missus thinks I'm a little OCD with it all... But I have to point out I'm not OCD, I'd CDO. It's similar, but all the letters are in the right order, which is how it should be.... (Isabel, have I used that 'joke' previously? I do hate to repeat myself!)

Errrmm, so I'm the keeper of the bad jokes?? No I don't think I've seen that one before but I'll confirm later once I've counted the number of vowels in your post!

Isabel 219, 220, 221........

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
            Errrmm, so I'm the keeper of the bad jokes?? No I don't think I've seen that one before but I'll confirm later once I've counted the number of vowels in your post!

Isabel 219, 220, 221........

Good egg. I just KNEW you had a purpose!

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
              Good egg. I just KNEW you had a purpose!
              My purpose is clear!

Comment

PS, on a serious chandling note- I hope I'm not the only one who read Spencer's post and thought--- oh God....I need to sharpen up my testing data!

Comment

Errmmm, I now have a spreadsheet that records every test detail, it might even test how ofter i hold my breath when testing!

Comment

Originally posted by debs1104 View Post
                    Errmmm, I now have a spreadsheet that records every test detail, it might even test how ofter i hold my breath when testing!
                    Well done Debs! A girl after my own heart Record EVERYTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                      PS, on a serious chandling note- I hope I'm not the only one who read Spencer's post and thought--- oh God....I need to sharpen up my testing data!
                      I'm not called Mr.Pedantic for nothing you know!! :P

Comment

OK so here is my testing result, i would love opinions, feedback, etc.

I used unblended paraffin wax, 3% Vybar, 3% FO, LX8 wick.
                        Tested in 4 Hours burns,

Obeservations.
                        1st burn (4 hours) - nice flame, good melt pool, goot hot scent throw.
                        2nd burn (4 hours) - nice flame, good melt pool, good hot scent throw, but then i noticed the flame getting smaller almost starting to drown in the melt pool but never went out, perhaps LX8 too small a wick?.
                        3rd burn (4 hours) - same results as burn 3, except the melt pool was no longer reaching the edge so started leaving a wall of wax as it burned down, again maybe too small a wick?
                        Total burn time approx 16 hours.

Comment

Hi Debs,
                          Does sound like your wick could be too small or even too big, I have had that happen before, sometimes the wick melts the wax too fast and cant cope so it drowns. Perhaps try going up and down 1 wick size? 3% fragrance load is quite low, most people use around 6%+ in paraffin.

Comment

Originally posted by Harribo View Post
                            Hi Debs,
                            Does sound like your wick could be too small or even too big, I have had that happen before, sometimes the wick melts the wax too fast and cant cope so it drowns. Perhaps try going up and down 1 wick size? 3% fragrance load is quite low, most people use around 6%+ in paraffin.

Hi Harribo,

Ill try uping my wick size, and ill up my FO percentage as well and retest, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Harribo View Post
                              Hi Debs,
                              Harribo is spot on. It could be too big or too small. Hard to confirm without really seeing the candle burning, but I shall try...

If the wick is too big it "drinks" the wax too quickly, this means a less deep melt pool and the flame takes the second best fuel which happens to be the wick itself.

You can usually tell if the wick is too big or too small by looking at the length of the exposed wick when the flame goes small. If the wick is short (possibly with a tail of ash), it's likely too big (i.e. it's started to use the wick as fuel) and if the wick is long, it's likely too small.

Hoping that makes some sort of sense.....

Comment

Working...
                              X