Is it necessary to wash? part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it necessary to wash? part 2

Ok so marion (the mankiest chandler in town) brought up the subject of washing containers last week and well I've just been watching a youtube vid of a guy making beeswax candles and I noticed that his melting jugs were not just dirty with old wax but were blackened, so I'm assuming he didn't clean them between melts. Anyway, he got me thinking that whilst I wouldn't want to let things get that bad, would it really be that bad if the melting jugs weren't washed / cleaned from melt to melt. I realise that it would be an issue with fragrances but what if you only intended to ever use say 5 different fragrances. You could potentially have 5 different jugs (one for each fragrance) and the jugs would never need cleaning (unless they got blackened of course) because you would be just melting the same mix as the residue in it each time. Possible pluses for doing this would be that it would cut down on kitchen towel usage and lessen the chances of blocked drains perhaps but would it cause any problems? What are your thoughts? Am I just being manky too

Not so squeaky clean

It sounds a bit mucky but kinda makes sense, and I've seen pictures inside some well known ateliers which have really old and different colour wax all over the equipment.

Would make life easier wouldn't it
    Please come see me on:

Facebook
    Twitter

Or on my blog Candles From Home

Comment

This is the video I was referring to, check out his jug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjocJKzo128

Comment

Yukkkk!

Messy,mucky and uses microwave...I'm not sure I want to follow his advice on anything
        Please come see me on:

Facebook
        Twitter

Or on my blog Candles From Home

Comment

I don't know how he ever finds anything It was a bit chaotic and the microwave had definitely seen better days but I get the impression he has a busy, thriving business. Perhaps because he spends zero time cleaning up lol

Comment

Manky me ....

I have different plastic pouring jugs labeled with which fragrance I've used them for and rarely wash them .... seems pointless to me and I do worry about waxy drains. I melt down surplus wax in the jugs and use it for tealights so the jugs are fairly clean looking. I wipe them out from time to time and clean up drips etc.

I agree his stuff looks really manky, not pleasant but seems to work for him

Comment

Thanks Sheddie, thats good to know the more I think about it the more it makes sense and it doesn't seem manky at all, after all its not like we have to worry about contamination with candles and I think keeping the drains clear is much more important than immaculate jugs. In fact its a relief to discover that I don't have to do this, because I was starting to get concerned not only about the drains but the extra expense of the kitchen towels and the excess waste I was creating as a result, we have enough problems with waste removal without adding to it!

Comment

How he can work like that is beyond me, it looks totally chaotic. Why does he use elastic bands on his moulds? Why has he taken the turntable out of the manky microwave? Doesn't he realise that it is there to ensure a more even distribution of heat to whatever is placed inside? Should the next candle olympics be how messy you lot really are?
                View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

As I (the Manky One) have said already I wipe and wipe with kitchen roll which possibly mounts up over time, although at maybe £2 a double pack it's not that much. I then use these to light my fire (literally, not metaphorically!) as they burn really well. So there's no waste. I know there are traces of wax inside the jug but the amount is negligible and I reckon the quantity of FO I use means there wouldn't be any confusion of pongs.

I'd never work with a blackened jug though for fear of either a burning smell or black specks attaching to the finished candles. That, for me, would be New Jug Time.

Hope this helps,

Manky Marion x

Comment

Originally posted by indri View Post
                    Should the next candle olympics be how messy you lot really are?
                    Goodness no! I would be embarrassed to let anyone into my candle workshop. It actually makes the one in that video look tidy and organised!

Why does he use elastic bands on his moulds?
                    There's a good reason for this. That kind of silicone mould is made from RTVS (Room Temperature Vulcanising Silicone) and although it's quite flexible, it's not flexible enough to be able to turn it inside out to de-mould like you can with latex moulds. So, after you've made the mould you cut down one side enabling you to remove the object you've made the mould of. You have to hold it closed when you pour wax into it or the wax just pours out again, and that's what the elastic bands are for

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                      There's a good reason for this. That kind of silicone mould is made from RTVS (Room Temperature Vulcanising Silicone) and although it's quite flexible, it's not flexible enough to be able to turn it inside out to de-mould like you can with latex moulds. So, after you've made the mould you cut down one side enabling you to remove the object you've made the mould of. You have to hold it closed when you pour wax into it or the wax just pours out again, and that's what the elastic bands are for
                      Thanks for that. It just seemed so bizarre to a non candle maker like me!
                      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Originally posted by squeakyclean View Post
                        This is the video I was referring to, check out his jug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjocJKzo128
                        Omigosh! And I thought I was Manky Marion.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                          Goodness no! I would be embarrassed to let anyone into my candle workshop. It actually makes the one in that video look tidy and organised
                          Just what I was thinking about mine lol.. I know where everything is though and that's all that matters, although it has taken me 4 years to find the pot of purple glitter that had rolled off my work bench and under the fragrance shelf

Comment

I'm a little disappointed over the unenthusiastic response to my idea for the second part of the candle olympics. Ideas have been somewhat lacking (except for the excellent pillar candle burning suggestion, though I think the winner/loser of the tealight competition should burn those!)
                            View my flickr

Comment

I'm a little disappointed over the unenthusiastic response to my idea for the second part of the candle olympics. Ideas have been somewhat lacking (except for the excellent pillar candle burning suggestion, though I think the winner/loser of the tealight competition should burn those!)
                              Oh I think it's a brilliant idea.. Just give me a week or so to tidy up and organise first

A pillar burning competition could take days and days... so I agree that the winner/loser should undertake that task

Comment

Working...
                              X