Hurricane shell candles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane shell candles

I was looking for something new and different to have a go at making instead of the run of the mill candles and found these hurricane shells( just a thin shell of wax that you embed with things like a photo and put a tea light inside the shell so your picture lights up but you don't burn your picture)

I haven't seen one before so thought I might try it. I think I need a large round mould with no wick hole in and an insert so you can embed thing in it. I can't find any in the uk! Has anyone ever made one of these? Or know where to get the moulds from?

Cheers
    jo
    www.johickling.co.uk
    Handmade Candles and Gifts

Hi Jo,

I make them quite often. I use a 6" x 6" pillar mould and just plug the wick holes before pouring.

The need for a mould insert will very much depend on what you plan on embedding in the wax. If you're embedding photos then you don't need one, you just position it in the wax, hold it against the inside of the mould with something and press a cold wet cloth on the outside of the mould at the same point. That will set a small amount of wax and hold the picture in place. Then quickly move it to a water bath to create the shell.

Larger embeds are easier with an insert but you can make your own quite easily.

I've hunted high and low for proper hurricane moulds in the UK but with no luck.

Hope that's of some help to start you off.
    Just shout if you need more info.

Spencer.

Comment

Cheers Spencer,

Thats a rather large one you got there (the mould I mean) my biggest is only 75mm but might try the method first to see if I can do it then try and find the mould!

Am I right in thinking you need pure parafin wax not blended so the the light can shine through?

Jo
      www.johickling.co.uk

Comment

Depends what you mean by blended...
        You will want a very high melt point wax for hurricanes as even a tealight in a 75mm hurricane shell will throw off enough heat to melt it a bit.

4Cs sells a wax specifically for these but it sometimes cracks when it cools. I use this wax but add PE22 to stop the cracking.

One effect of this is the wax becomes more opaque, but light still shines through if you make the shell thin enough.

It's lots of trial and error to get them right, but the effect is great.

Comment

Bit of a hijack, but I eventually want to be able to do these too and would've been interested if anybody sold proper molds here. I've been watching the few videos and a few articles on them, they can be so unique. I take a trip to the US every year, maybe I can buy a proper mold for them there? Long ways off though, only just melting my first homemade candle today ...

Anyway, I hope you're able to make them, most of the videos I watched showed how to do it using a good sized pillar mold.
          Jennifer

Welsh Candle Creations
          http://welshcandlecreations.blogspot.co.uk/
          twitter.com/WelshCandles
          facebook.com/WelshCandleCreations

Comment

If you do decide to get them on your US visit, you'll probably get a few orders from people here :P

Comment

Might have to bring an empty suitcase just for candle supplies then....Just in case!
              Jennifer

Welsh Candle Creations
              twitter.com/WelshCandles

Comment

Glad im not the only one finding it hard hehe! Just found on on this site (sorry can't post the address) manzanas candles. In the uk.

Its 5" diameter and 6.5" high and comes with an insert. £23 plus postage
                www.johickling.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Jos candles View Post
                  Glad im not the only one finding it hard hehe! Just found on on this site (sorry can't post the address) manzanas candles. In the uk.

Its 5" diameter and 6.5" high and comes with an insert. £23 plus postage
                  Nice! I'd bookmarked their website but hadn't really looked them over yet.
                  Jennifer

Welsh Candle Creations
                  twitter.com/WelshCandles

Comment

Manzanas is a member of the forum Not seen her on here in a while though.

The hurricane mould on her website looks great. I may have to invest in a couple soon

Comment

Thats a rather large one you got there (the mould I mean) my biggest is only 75mm but might try the method first to see if I can do it then try and find the mould!
                      It's perfectly feasible to make hurricane shells in 75mm moulds
                      In fact, here are some made from very similar sized moulds.

They're not hurricane candles exactly, but the first time I ever made any of these that's what they were meant to be. The blue wax is a hard hurricane shell formed in the usual way. But I got distracted and let the walls get a bit too thick so I shortened them and filled them with container wax. When the container wax has burnt away you can put a tealight inside the blue wax shell and it gives off a nice glow.

They have proven to be popular sellers...

Hybrids02.jpg

Comment

They look cool! I might have to have a go at those first, hiding the cost of the different wax from my husband is one thing but wax and a mould at the same time is a whole different thing hehe!
                        www.johickling.co.uk

Comment

Spencer, those hybrids look amazing! I'm not surprised that they're popular. Yet another thing to add to my long list of things I want to try! My husband will be very cross when I show him the list of things I want to buy
                          Jennifer

Welsh Candle Creations
                          twitter.com/WelshCandles

Comment

hiding the cost of the different wax from my husband is one thing but wax and a mould at the same time is a whole different thing hehe!
                            Haha, I know that feeling!

I'm lucky in the respect that I have to pay for my supplies as well as Amanda's. So if I don't get, neither does she
                            Unlucky in the respect that I have to pay for my supplies as well as Amanda's though

Comment

They look cool!
                              Originally posted by JenR View Post
                              Spencer, those hybrids look amazing!
                              Thank you both

As I said, I was aiming for something completely different but got distracted half way through the process.
                              They really are the product of a happy accident.

Jennifer, funny you should refer to them as "hybrids" as that's exactly what I call them.

Just remember, if/when you give them a go yourself you have to wick appropriately for the width of the inner wax and not the overall width, otherwise your shell will melt too.

Comment

Working...
                              X