Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All aboard

Hi there,

I am a new recruit and would like to ask for a few pointers if that's okay:-

(1) I would like to be able to say that my candles are "organic". I am currently using ECO soya wax. i would also be using dye chips and fragrance oils. How could I achieve this?

My candle tins are 70mm by 35mm.

(2) Could you tell me what sort of Wick specifically I should use for ECO soya wax and what length?
    (3) when putting in the wick with wax sustainers how do you fix the wax sustainer to the bottom of the tin?
    (4) What is the best way to clean your pouring jug? I used a pyrex glass one as I had not yet invested in the proper pouring jug (now bought) and the wax hardened within secs, silly me. Hence I dont want to run into that problem again.

I do apologise for my lack of knowledge but I have read lots of stories about making candles but i was recommended to sign up to this forum and you I know a lot is trial and error but I am on a bit of a budget so the least amount of muck ups the better haha.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my War and Peace.

Jonean (Scotland)

Hi daisiboo and welcome. I'm fairly new to this too, so no expert by any means but I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1.To be able to call your candles organic, you would need to source completely organic ingredients (i don't know if this is possible because I haven't looked), so I imagine that people would expect you to only use natural dyes and fragrances etc.
    2.? don't use this wax sorry
    3. dip the sustainer in your melting wax then quickly place in the container where it will set and stay
    4.???? still trying to figure out the best way myself. I wipe with a paper towel immediately, scrape of any stubborn thick bits then wash in soapy water but its not ideal
    HTH

Comment

Just to add for no. 2, you will need to practice with the different sizes of wicks whichever wax you use because so many factors can affect the way it burns but you should be able to find a guide to wick sizes from the company you buy it from. If you are still going organic, you will need to source an organic wick too. I use full cauldrons wicks, not sure if they would call them organic but they are natural.

Comment

Good start, welcome to the forum.
        Please come see me on:

Facebook
        Twitter

Or on my blog Candles From Home

Comment

Welcome to the forum Jonean, there is loads of information in the archives of the forum, all your answers and hundreds more are in there somewhere, it's well worth a read if you can spare the time.

So much with candle making is about testing your wicks with your chosen wax and then testing again when you add FO, dye etc.

I have never seen organic wax anywhere, is there such a thing, or organic wicks, dye and Fragrance oils, essential oils yes but then that is a whole new learning curve when burning candles as many essential oils just don't like being burnt in a candle so you would find that an expensive experiment I think.

I also clean up with kitchen towel, I use loads of the stuff then wash in hot soapy water, once I'm happy the wax is removed if the glass is still greasy looking I wash in the dishwasher, it's a bit of a pain but haven't found an easier way so hopefully someone else will turn up with a better answer.

Good luck and I'm sure you will find lots of help here as you progress, let us know if you find a supplier for organic wax .

val

Comment

Originally posted by Daisiboo View Post
            Hi there,

I am a new recruit and would like to ask for a few pointers if that's okay:-

(1) I would like to be able to say that my candles are "organic". I am currently using ECO soya wax. i would also be using dye chips and fragrance oils. How could I achieve this?

My candle tins are 70mm by 35mm.

(2) Could you tell me what sort of Wick specifically I should use for ECO soya wax and what length?
            (3) when putting in the wick with wax sustainers how do you fix the wax sustainer to the bottom of the tin?
            (4) What is the best way to clean your pouring jug? I used a pyrex glass one as I had not yet invested in the proper pouring jug (now bought) and the wax hardened within secs, silly me. Hence I dont want to run into that problem again.

I do apologise for my lack of knowledge but I have read lots of stories about making candles but i was recommended to sign up to this forum and you I know a lot is trial and error but I am on a bit of a budget so the least amount of muck ups the better haha.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my War and Peace.

Jonean (Scotland)
            Hi Jonean,

Welcome to the forum and to chandling! There is a fount of knowledge here and everyone is incredibly helpful so feel free to post questions at any time.

I make tealights and jar candles (a work in progress!) and use soy CB135 which isn't quite the same as yours, I think. But I'll have a go at answering your questions, in a general way.

1. I'm not sure if FOs can be organic - I think they have chemicals added to them to achieve the smells. you might need to use Essential Oils which (I think!) are pure extracts from the plants etc they represent. But someone else will correct me on this, I'm sure.

2. Choosing the wick is a laborious process. I haven't tried tins but working with jars just now which are roughly 70 mm diameter, 40 mm deep. I've tried MANY wicks and am settling on either small wood wicks (from 4Candles) or MP6/MP8 from Fullmoons Cauldron. I have no idea if any of these qualify as organic. But I do know lots of things interfere with correct burning (type of wick, amount of FO/EO used). I have even carried out what I think are identical tests (same FO, wick, jar) and found different results. Everyone here will echo that you must test, test then test again! There are no short cuts here, sadly.

3. I have a big lump of sticky wax glue (bought from Thornes) and I gouge a bit of that out with the base of the sustainer before pressing into the tealight cups. Others add the wick after. For jars (which have to be heated so wax glue melts) I pour, leave the wax a bit then drop a primed (dipped in wax) wick into the jar. I think support this using a wick centring tool - lots of different methods. I like the thin plastic ones which are about 4 down on this page: http://www.4candles.co.uk/access/can...cessories.html

4. I wipe and wipe my jug with kitchen roll which I keep and use to help light my fire. Lots of people on the forum wash in hot soapy water, then allow the water to cool and scoop the wax off the top with a sieve but I don't have the courage to do that. Our drains are a bit troublesome normally so I don't want to add to the problem.

Hope that helps - you'll be given lots of advice and you have to work out what is best for you. But it's great here and VERY addictive! Welcome to the madhouse.

Marion x

ps where are you in Scotland? I'm in North East Fife and Isabel (Holehouse) is just outside Glasgow

Comment

Hi Marion,

I have been a bit slow navigating around the forum etc. I have tonight posted another question as I couldnt find this original one!! silly me. But I have found you now thank goodness. many thanks for all your advice above, I shall be test, test, testing away hahaha.

Thanks again Marion,

Jonean x

PS Im from Fife

Comment

Originally posted by Daisiboo View Post

PS Im from Fife
                Me too! North East Fife - right at the top.

Comment

Working...
                X