Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pillar size candles in glass containers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pillar size candles in glass containers?

Hi all,

I was looking at yankee candles (US) site and they have pillar candles in large glass containers, something like a highball glass. They also have vase candles in tall vases.

I'm just wondering if anybody has tried this? I thought I'd read that the neck diameter had to be wider for that depth,because of oxygen to allow the wick to burn all the way to the bottom of the container.

I like thee look of these candles, a little bit different.

41mfSDVlX+L._SL500_SS500_.jpg
    Please come see me on:

Facebook
    Twitter

Or on my blog Candles From Home

Personally I always stick to the golden rule that a container for a candle should never be more than twice as tall as it is wide.
    If you had say a 15cm tall container that was 5cm wide you would get some serious burn issues when the candle was two thirds of the way down. This is due to the lack of airflow to the flame and means the candle will often smoke, mushroom and generally not go well.

I'm not sure what you mean by "vase candles in tall vases". Do you have a pic of those too?

I'm thinking you might mean a hurricane glass (different from a hurricane candle).

Comment

Thanks Spencer, I wonder how the Y burn, might have to buy and try it out. Although I've got to say their normal candles often have issues.

Nearly the same really as the pillar candle design.
      Please come see me on:

Facebook
      Twitter

Comment

Bet that attachment doesn't work

$(KGrHqN,!n8FD-vP8Nv0BRGYMRe+Ow~~60_12.JPG
        Last edited by Anna Rose; 21-02-2013, 07:08 PM.
        Please come see me on:

Facebook
        Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Rose View Post
          Bet that attachment doesn't work
          The attachment worked just fine

Not sure I like those candles at all!

Would be interesting to see how they burn, but I wont be pointing any of my hard earned cash in their direction!

I agree that most of their candles have burning issues. I'm not sure if it's because they've gone down hill in recent years or because I'm a bit more analytical since starting to make my own, but I'm just not as impressed with YCs as I was when I bought my first one many years ago. Some of them have actually been so bad I've not bothered relighting them!

Comment

My Mum still persists in buying the large jars...and then rings me and complains that it hasn't burnt properly and is tunnelling, so now she relies on the unlit smell from her lemon candle!

I don't like the vase candle but I quite like the pillar candle, but that could be because I'm a bit scared of trying real pillar candles, especially with rapeseed wax.
            Please come see me on:

Facebook
            Twitter

Comment

I'm shocked at how bad Yankee actually are but when I was uneducated about these things I didn't notice the mushrooming/smoking etc and just thought it was a part of burning a candle! It's our job to educated the masses!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Rose View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35240[/ATTACH]
                I actually prefer this one out of the two but I'm not sure I'd be that confident about giving it a go - as Spencer said, I don't trust how well it would burn after about half way.

If I were to try something like this it would be a stand alone pillar in a glass that sort of shape but with a wider neck. Similar effect, more trustworthy burning!

Comment

Working...
                X