Wicks for rapeseed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicks for rapeseed

I am about to place another supplies order, this time buying a lot of wax and I want to keep working with rapeseed wax.

Starting on the next size up, votives and 6 ounce glasses (got 42 glasses as a free sample, as well as 12 8 oz and a 10 oz!!!) so I need to think about wicks.

On 4candles they recommend NT with rapeseed wax, does anyone have any experience of the two together or have any other suggestions?

Am I right in saying I should start with the recommended wick for the diameter of my container and maybe also test one on either side?

Would you advise buying prepared wicks or trying to do it myself, how hard is it for a beginner?

Sorry loads of questions

Thanks for your advice
    Please come see me on:

Facebook
    Twitter

Or on my blog Candles From Home

Hi,

I'm not going to be a great help on the rapeseed wax specifics I'm afraid, although it's definitely something I will be looking into soon. But yes, starting with a recommended wick for the diameter is always a good place to start. In my experience, these recommendations aren't ever far off, and rarely need a size up or down to get it just right.

Pre-waxed wicks are often helpful and usually very good. But not sure how easy it will be to find them pre-waxed with rapeseed. Not that this is 100% necessary, but depending on how you plan on selling your candles (i.e. 100% natural) you may want/need this!

Priming your own wicks isn't difficult at all, even for a beginner. In fact, it's incredibly difficult to get it wrong and really takes no time at all. Yeah, it's another step you have to go through, but I don't see that as a bad thing in something "hand made".

Comment

Hi Spencer I knew I could count on you

Thanks for the help. I don't think I can get a wick primed with rapeseed, however if it was soy I could still claim 100% natural.

I'm really excited with the rapeseed wax, I like the idea of it being UK or European produced, I hope it works OK in my containers.

As you know it is quite good with fragrances, my dining room has 3 unlit tealights in and every now and then I get a whiff of roses all over the ground floor. I have been toying with the idea of adding vyber, but the fragrance is good, maybe it will give the wax a nice colour.

Thanks once again.
      Please come see me on:

Facebook
      Twitter

Comment

Hi Anna Rose,
        I always prime my own wicks and find it quite satisfying. Just melt 5g or more wax depending how many wicks you're doing. Put them in the wax, take them out and place them on grease proof paper just make sure they're straight and leave to dry.
        For testing wicks some places,I think 4 candles, you can buy tester wick which gives 1 meter of each wick in a brand to test with before buying a lot of one wick size.
        Cali x

Comment

Hi Anna Rose,

I would love to work with rapeseed wax - just not had time so far and I do love soy wax.

Have you tried it with essential oils or fragrance oils?

Comment

Hi

I have tried rapeseed wax with fragrance oils, and will try EO later maybe as an aromatherapy candle.
            Please come see me on:

Facebook
            Twitter

Comment

I wish I could help you Anna Rose, I am having my own demons to fight regarding finding the right wicks for rapeseed. It seems to need bigger wicks than soy but smaller than beeswax.

I started with 4C's NT wicks but haven't had great results, I am trying some from Fullmoons and TFCC at the mo, with moderate results....very much a work in progress so not much help to you at the mo.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help, I am at my wicks end with them ....

valx

Comment

Hi Val,

With my tealights I found that wicks for beeswax were rubbish with the rapeseed wax and eventually had good results with TL15 and TL18. I think these were a little smaller than some I've read about being used with soy wax.

What did you find was the problems with NT wick?

Hope your wick issues resolve soon

Originally posted by sheddie View Post
                I wish I could help you Anna Rose, I am having my own demons to fight regarding finding the right wicks for rapeseed. It seems to need bigger wicks than soy but smaller than beeswax.

I started with 4C's NT wicks but haven't had great results, I am trying some from Fullmoons and TFCC at the mo, with moderate results....very much a work in progress so not much help to you at the mo.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help, I am at my wicks end with them ....

valx
                Please come see me on:

Facebook
                Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Rose View Post
                  Hi

I have tried rapeseed wax with fragrance oils, and will try EO later maybe as an aromatherapy candle.
                  thanks Anna Rose - when I get round to this I'll share my results with the forum

Comment

Hi Anna Rose, the main issues were with the wick falling over, they were okay most of the time and then they would let me down, I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong (probably) or if they need a stronger core. This is especially the case with votives, I didn't find them very good there. I have got rather a lot of sizes in the NT range and will try them again at some point as I am sure it is the workman at fault rather than the tools, so to speak.

I am trying to find the right wick for scented tealights at the mo ...... the saga continues

Comment

Val the person we need advice from is Zing, she sells rapeseed candles for £95!!!
                      Please come see me on:

Facebook
                      Twitter

Comment

I have just started with rapeseed and I use CD and CDN with good results.

/Yvonne

Comment

Originally posted by Yvelis View Post
                          I have just started with rapeseed and I use CD and CDN with good results.

/Yvonne
                          Hi Yvonne,

Do you get them from 4 candles?
                          Please come see me on:

Facebook
                          Twitter

Comment

Yeh I know... impressive huh. I would love them to join in and share a few tips. Probably not going to happen though

It just goes to show what clever marketing can do doesn't it..... plus a good materials. I think their organic label is a little misleading though as it is the essential oils that are organic, not the wax! It does mention it somewhere but you have to search for it.

I do like their site though and they have great taste in using Rapeseed

val

Comment

Yes their site looks good, very moody black and white, "about us" photo. It just gives an overall impression of wealth and class, hence the prices. I'd love to know if they actually sell any.

I was wondering about the organic wax, also not completely convinced by the use of metals on the top. They look good but would they effect the wick and I hope she has checked that all the pretty bits are organic as well.

I have sent a private message to Zing asking her if she would like to join in the discussion on rapeseed wax, nothing yet.
                              Please come see me on:

Facebook
                              Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X