Hairdryers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hairdryers?

So... I was just reading the thread about imperfections and holes etc and noticed that a couple of posters had suggested using a hairdryer as a heat gun. Does this really work? Is it a certain type of hairdryer? Does it have to have a nozzle on? Does it not just blow the wax everywhere? How do you use it? I know its a lot of questions but the idea seems very strange to me. I was going to invest in a heat gun but this seems like a cheaper way of doing it. Do you just use it for the top of the candle or can it be directed to the outside of tin molds to improve the imperfections on the whole candle too?

You can use a hair dryer for this, although I've never tried.
    Many have recommended using a diffuser with it as the airstream can be a little strong. To me this would spread the heat out too much when sometimes you want to heat just a small area. A craft heat gun perfect for the job will cost less than a tenner and is perfect for the job.

They are very versatile and can be used for surface imperfections as well as zapping wet spots. Also for heating containers and moulds.

Comment

Originally posted by squeakyclean View Post
      So... I was just reading the thread about imperfections and holes etc and noticed that a couple of posters had suggested using a hairdryer as a heat gun. Does this really work? Is it a certain type of hairdryer? Does it have to have a nozzle on? Does it not just blow the wax everywhere? How do you use it? I know its a lot of questions but the idea seems very strange to me. I was going to invest in a heat gun but this seems like a cheaper way of doing it. Do you just use it for the top of the candle or can it be directed to the outside of tin molds to improve the imperfections on the whole candle too?

Hi
      I've got a heat gun but I started using a hairdryer and there's not much difference. The heat gun gets hotter but still blows quite a lot. If anything I prefer my hairdryer for candles because I could use the big curly hair diffuser (always new I'd find a use for it) and that diffused the air causing fewer splashes. I just used my regular hairdryer and put the candles in a cardboard box to help contain the splashes after a few blasts on the highest setting the candles set again with a nice smooth top.
      The heat gun is fine but (obviously) it doesn't have a diffuser so you still get splashes and the nozzle becomes red hot so finding somewhere to put it down until it cools can be a problem ( I use a baking tray). My experience is that a heatgun is no better than a hairdryer but maybe thats because my heatgun is a bog-standard B&Q own make. Maybe if you bought a more expensive one it would be better, however, the hairdryer works just fine. I've also used my hairdryer to help with wet spots on clear glass containers and again it worked just as well as the heat gun does.

HTH
      Isabel

Comment

Thanks guys, I might see if I can get a suitable hairdryer to try first because I priced up heat guns the other day and the cheapest I could find was £25 (unless you can share where your got yours from spencer). I do have a hairdryer here but I think the rest of the family will kick off if I take it to work with me

Just out of interest, I use metal moulds and all my candles have come out marked with lines all over them, would heating them in the moulds eliminate these lines?

Comment

Thanks guys, I might see if I can get a suitable hairdryer to try first because I priced up heat guns the other day and the cheapest I could find was £25 (unless you can share where your got yours from spencer). I do have a hairdryer here but I think the rest of the family will kick off if I take it to work with me

Just out of interest, I use metal moulds and all my candles have come out marked with lines all over them, would heating them in the moulds eliminate these lines?
          My heat gun came from B&Q in a nifty little case with loads of attachments for paint removal-it was £16.99. I couldn't find anywhere cheaper than that. Maybe ebay?

Comment

Hi Squeakyclean,
            I found my hair dryer barely melted the candles and I sat there hair drying them with a nozzle that focused the heat for what seemed like ages. I purchased a Bosch paint stripper heat gun (£35, but maybe spent more than necessary) that has 3 heat settings. My candle tops are melted in seconds and beautifully smooth once solidified.
            Cali x

Comment

Thanks Cali

are heat guns quieter than hairdryers?

Comment

you can get craft heat guns on ebay. they have a little stand so the hot nozzle doesn't have to come into contact with anything whilst cooling. mine was 13 pounds with postage included.

Comment

they are quieter than hairdryers yes.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...E:L:OC:GB:3160

Comment

thanks da costa, that sounds good, I'll have a look

Comment

It says its suitable for shrink plastic too, I presume that means shrink wrapping, can you shrink wrap candles with it or would that be too risky?

Comment

yes i think you can shrinkwrap candles. i was reading a thread the other day and someone had shrink-wrapped hundreds of votives. i haven't tried it myself though so can't really offer any advice on that front.

Comment

Thanks Cali

are heat guns quieter than hairdryers?
                            My heat guns quiter than the hair dryer but still kicks out some noise. I see other people have got much better prices and craft specific. If only I had wall paper that needed stripping I'd be getting my money's worth!
                            Cali x

Comment

Originally posted by Cali_ah View Post
                              My heat guns quiter than the hair dryer but still kicks out some noise. I see other people have got much better prices and craft specific. If only I had wall paper that needed stripping I'd be getting my money's worth!
                              Cali x

Oh Cali, please don't strip wallpaper with your heat gun....paint maybe but definitely not the paper unless, of course, your very well insured

Comment

Working...
                              X