what on earth happened here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what on earth happened here?

So.... as I said yesterday I had successfully made and sent a tealight (beeswax) off to Spencer as my entrant for the Olympics. it wasn't the best tealight ever made and I was aware that it needed some improving because the flame / melt pool wasn't big enough. So today I made a 2nd attempt using a slighter bigger wick and this happened! (see below)

However, I still lit it out of curiousity and it appeared to burn quite well, much better than prototype 1. So what are your thoughts, why would it crack like that, is the wick too big?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by squeakyclean View Post
    So.... as I said yesterday I had successfully made and sent a tealight (beeswax) off to Spencer as my entrant for the Olympics. it wasn't the best tealight ever made and I was aware that it needed some improving because the flame / melt pool wasn't big enough. So today I made a 2nd attempt using a slighter bigger wick and this happened! (see below)

However, I still lit it out of curiousity and it appeared to burn quite well, much better than prototype 1. So what are your thoughts, why would it crack like that, is the wick too big?
    Hmm, how very strange. Firstly I should say I have never used beeswax so don't know much about its foilbles.
    Usually if soy or paraffin wax cracks one possible cause is the candle cooling too quickly but generally its a ragged superficial crack around the wick not a deep scar like this. So, sorry I can't help but would be really interested in what the beeswax experts have to say about it.

Isabel

Comment

I'm no expert on beeswax so hopefully someone will be along soon to give us a better idea but when I made some votives with beeswax and wood wicks this is what happened to me too. I think the size of the wood wick contributed to it and after doing some research I think it was as Isabel suggested, cooling too quickly.

I haven't used beeswax much at all, it is a whole new learning curve ....

val

Comment

Not seen anything like that - I can only assume it's a problem peculiar to beeswax. How does it feel to touch? Is it harder than the other waxes?

Marion

Comment

thanks everyone

yes marion it is a much harder wax, in fact its quite difficult to work with in imo, so I don't know if I'll persevere.

The thing is it definately didn't cool too quickly because I had placed my cups / moulds on a warm chaffer type thing and hadn't realised it was still warm (on the bottom at least) till the crack had appeared. I didn't make the first batch on the chaffer though so I'm going to try next time with the bigger wick and cold tealight cups. Maybe it was because the top cooled quicker than the rest? I'm just a bit concerned its because the wick is too big but I don't have an inbetween size, so if it doesn't work next time I might give up on beeswax and just stick to soy!

Comment

Originally posted by squeakyclean View Post
            thanks everyone

yes marion it is a much harder wax, in fact its quite difficult to work with in imo, so I don't know if I'll persevere.

The thing is it definately didn't cool too quickly because I had placed my cups / moulds on a warm chaffer type thing and hadn't realised it was still warm (on the bottom at least) till the crack had appeared. I didn't make the first batch on the chaffer though so I'm going to try next time with the bigger wick and cold tealight cups. Maybe it was because the top cooled quicker than the rest? I'm just a bit concerned its because the wick is too big but I don't have an inbetween size, so if it doesn't work next time I might give up on beeswax and just stick to soy!
            sorry if you're already said this but which wick did you use?

Comment

well, i tried several, i'm using the full moon natural mp wicks and I can't remember off the top of my head which ones because its written in my book at work and I'm at home now. I had to really wick up though to get a decent full flame and melt pool so that could possibly be a size 12? The smaller wicks were insufficient burners though and I don't think there was a size 10 in my multi pack (don't know why cos there should have been), so think I had to jump from an 8 to 12 and that could be the problem

Comment

hmm, just had a look on the full moons wick guide page and they suggest using mp14 for beeswax tealights, so the size of the wick can't be the issue, it must be because of the heat i guess. Suppose theres only one way to find out for sure but it will have to wait till tomorrow.

Comment

I burnt my beeswax tealight last night it had a big wick in it, I made them a while back and the label has fallen off so dont know for sure which one but it was a recomended size, NT wick from 4C's, it was quite a thick one and they didn't burn that long, 4 hours or so. I'm not sure I can go there at the mo, I'm having enough trouble with the rapeseed wicks.

Beeswax is a very hard wax, maybe this is why we dont see many beeswax tealights around? You see molded ones but not tealights. Rob did great with his though so it's do-able ..... come on Rob where are you, we miss you

val

Comment

that was one of my concerns, that I'd have to really wick up and get a shorter burn as a result, which is not ideal considering the price of the wax but I guess you can't have everything

Comment

Working...
                    X