Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As the runners in the tea-light marathon approach the starting blocks

The preparation (for some) is over. Entries are flooding in to Grouty
    The crowd is poised...the smell of anticipation is in the air ( £6.95 for 100g suitable for soy, paraffin and beeswax).....the camera is ready to roll as the participants line up.
    National anthems rehearsed (Oh flower of Sco...) Winners rostrum built....medals polished...OK you get the picture

The state of play currently is

Lane 1 Marion Fletch T Entry received (with bribe)
    Lane 2 Laura Shayler Entry received
    Lane 3 Val Barraclough Sheddie
    Lane 4 Ives Squeakyclean Entry received
    Lane 5 Louise Porridge Burning_it_at_both_ends Entry received
    Lane 6 Isabel Gladys Holehouse Entry received
    Lane 7 Naz B
    Lane 8 Wicky Entry received
    Lane 9 Da Costa
    Lane 10CaliH
    Lane 11Auds 120
    Lane 12Anna Rose
    Lane 13DebbiesW
    Lane 14

There is still time to complete and send your entry however, our impartial adjudicator (did he accept that bribe from fletch Hmmm..rubs chin) will announce a closing date ( Won't you Mr Davis) for all entries to be received and then

LET THE BURNS BEGIN!!!

PS I'll be taking my Ipad on hols (did I mention..) so I'll be checking up on results (Although I'm reliably informed by my tic tac man that the winner is ......Grouty.....all those free candles!)
    Last edited by holehouse; 16-02-2013, 01:47 PM.

There MAY actually be another entry received, but I wont know until Monday.

I popped out to the train station to collect "The Outlaws" this morning, and when I got back home my lovely postman has put a note through my door saying he was unable to post a package because it was 9p short on postage! 9p???? Honestly??

I'm sure had I been in, he would have just made some comment about my name, sung his little song and let me have the envelope. Anyway, I'm busy this afternoon with the outlaws visiting but will pop along to the post office Monday after work. I will come back and advise if it is another entry or something I'd bought from ebay and forgotten all about

Considering some of you are reporting 6hr+ burn times I'm going to have to make burn night either a Friday or Saturday as I'll not be able to burn them until after the little pests go to bed. Can't be sitting up until 2am on a school night now can I?!?

So grateful if those of you that are yet to submit could do so soonish, as the temptation to burn all these great looking/smelling tealights is getting too much for little old me!!

Comment

Oooh I wonder if that was my candle? lol. I did send it a while ago... Ahem.

Comment

I'd just like to say that (rugby matches excepted) I would prefer SCOTLAND THE BRAVE for my National Anthem. I could now launch into a diatribe on gender codes in music but given I don't want the glazed expressions to spread through my chandling buddies, I'll simply say this: the gruesome Flower of Scotland is full of feminine gender codes, implying a less strong contribution, whereas Scotland the Brave is sturdy and masculine in both harmonics, chord & melody progression and is consistent with my tealight bursting the tape, as indeed I expect it to do.

That'sorl.

Fletch (wot never bribed no one with nuffink, you just prove I did)

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
        The preparation (for some) is over. Entries are flooding in to Grouty
        The crowd is poised...the smell of anticipation is in the air ( £6.95 for 100g suitable for soy, paraffin and beeswax).....the camera is ready to roll as the participants line up.
        National anthems rehearsed (Oh flower of Sco...) Winners rostrum built....medals polished...OK you get the picture

The state of play currently is

Lane 1 Marion Fletch T Entry received (with bribe)
        Lane 2 Laura Shayler Entry received
        Lane 3 Val Barraclough Sheddie
        Lane 4 Ives Squeakyclean Entry received
        Lane 5 Louise Porridge Burning_it_at_both_ends Entry received
        Lane 6 Isabel Gladys Holehouse Entry received
        Lane 7 Naz B
        Lane 8 Wicky Entry received
        Lane 9 Da Costa
        Lane 10CaliH
        Lane 11Auds 120
        Lane 12Anna Rose
        Lane 13DebbiesW
        Lane 14

There is still time to complete and send your entry however, our impartial adjudicator (did he accept that bribe from fletch Hmmm..rubs chin) will announce a closing date ( Won't you Mr Davis) for all entries to be received and then

LET THE BURNS BEGIN!!!

PS I'll be taking my Ipad on hols (did I mention..) so I'll be checking up on results (Although I'm reliably informed by my tic tac man that the winner is ......Grouty.....all those free candles!)

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
          I'd just like to say that (rugby matches excepted) I would prefer SCOTLAND THE BRAVE for my National Anthem. I could now launch into a diatribe on gender codes in music but given I don't want the glazed expressions to spread through my chandling buddies, I'll simply say this: the gruesome Flower of Scotland is full of feminine gender codes, implying a less strong contribution, whereas Scotland the Brave is sturdy and masculine in both harmonics, chord & melody progression and is consistent with my tealight bursting the tape, as indeed I expect it to do.

That'sorl.

Fletch (wot never bribed no one with nuffink, you just prove I did)
          Jeezo Is that soap box of yours not worn out yet!
          I have no preference and enjoy both equally.

However, I should probably now confess to having doctored my tea light. I have added a secret component to ensure that it lasts 5 mins less than the shortest burning candle to ensure that one of the people making tea lights for the first time wins! (I am so noble)
          So thats the real reason why mine will die first not because it's c**p.

Isabel

Comment

Jeezo Is that soap box of yours not worn out yet!
            I have no preference and enjoy both equally.

However, I should probably now confess to having doctored my tea light. I have added a secret component to ensure that it lasts 5 mins less than the shortest burning candle to ensure that one of the people making tea lights for the first time wins! (I am so noble)
            So thats the real reason why mine will die first not because it's c**p.

Isabel
            Nope. I am definitely the one on Duracells!

Anyhoo, I advise giving up chandling and taking up writing fiction instead cos the fairy stories are fairly tripping off the keyboard today!!!

A Well Wisher

Comment

A Well Wisher
              The subtleties of this little 'joke' will become clear during the award ceremony.....

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                The subtleties of this little 'joke' will become clear during the award ceremony.....

Hmmm. An anonymous donation to the Spencer slush fund?
                Honest, your honour it wasn't a bribe, it was for services rendered!

Ha!

Comment

Hmmm. An anonymous donation to the Spencer slush fund?
                  Honest, your honour it wasn't a bribe, it was for services rendered!

Ha!
                  I shall produce character witnesses a thousand deep. Let's start with my "nephew" Dell-Boy and my "uncle" Arfur Daley. They'll vouch for my upstandingness. Hmph!

Comment

Nope. I am definitely the one on Duracells!

Anyhoo, I advise giving up chandling and taking up writing fiction instead cos the fairy stories are fairly tripping off the keyboard today!!!

A Well Wisher
                    Dear Well Wisher
                    I am cut to the quick with your comments...fairy story..not me, I am the noble Scot on this forum ....always there for the underdog!
                    Unlike that other chandler ..resorting to bribes, violence and downright skullduggery to influence the outcome of this life-changing event.

Isabel (Sweetness and light, wholesome as home baked apple-pie)

Comment

Thou doth protest too much methinks!

Comment

Just a touch! I've seen it in the flesh. She literally growled at anyone who sat next to us. No wonder they all left, despite my sparkling conversation ...

Comment

Dear Well Wisher
                          I am cut to the quick with your comments...fairy story..not me, I am the noble Scot on this forum ....always there for the underdog!
                          Unlike that other chandler ..resorting to bribes, violence and downright skullduggery to influence the outcome of this life-changing event.

Ooh, forgot about violence - ta for the suggestion, Sweetness! xx

Comment

Just a touch! I've seen it in the flesh. She literally growled at anyone who sat next to us. No wonder they all left, despite my sparkling conversation ...
                            Defamation, Slander, Libel, vilification, transducement and calumny. Just covering all bases
                            Thanks Wiki (haha Wicki..get it!)

Comment

(haha Wicki..get it!)
                              Naughty step!!

Comment

Working...
                              X