The Marion Jar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Marion Jar

Well we met and had a good blether over huge strawberry tarts.
    I wouldn't think those around us thought we were particularly remarkable until.....we started pulling half burned candles from Mary Poppins-like bags.
    We then proceeded to disect and discuss each one in turn...when we eventually came up for air all of our "neighbours" had moved on leaving Marion and I on "Candle Island" However it was nice to spend time talking candles with someone who didn't quickly develop that glazed expression (I'm sure you know the one!)
    So now I have some of THE JARS
    Marion has chronicled her journey with these jars on the forum and, in her endeavour to achieve the perfect burn, has tried virtually every wick known to mankind. My plan is to trawll through all her JAR posts and note down each of the wicks she has tried to see whats left or which gave better results and use that info as my starting point. So here comes my question.
    Zinc core wicks. From past gleaned info I thought zinc core was not recommended for Soy wax but I have a feeling, that when I was wading through all the posts here before joining the forum, I read some people do use ZC in soy. Did they work? Was there a lot of mushrooming? (sorry budding) I believe they are the coolest burning wick so did you achieve a scent throw?
    I have a full compliment of CSN and Eco wicks I can try but are there any other wicks (with the exception of wood wicks) that you have successfully tried? What about LX or RRD? Any advice is welcome!

Isabel

PS Contrary to popular opinion, no riot police, men in white coats, Koffe Annan, SAS or US Marine Core were required during our meeting!!

Glad your meeting went well and no outside agencies were required to keep the proceedings from becoming unruly!

And yes I know very well all about THAT expression. Seen it many times, but it's never put me off.

Just a quick note on zinc cored wicks in soy.... The reason they don't work so well is they are very cool burning and soy needs quite a high temp flame to be able to reach a full melt pool.

You CAN use ZCs, BUT you would need such a big wick that it would probably smoke and mushroom/bud quite severely.

Comment

Thanks Spencer, I thought that was the case but somehow I thought someone on the forum had tried them in soy.
      I'm hoping there is something out there that will work for us but I will probably repeat some of Marions tests since I use XL and she uses 135. Surely between us we'll find a solution....two heads etc

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post

PS Contrary to popular opinion, no riot police, men in white coats, Koffe Annan, SAS or US Marine Core were required during our meeting!!
        No ... but they were watching us leave ...

Comment

Thanks Spencer, I thought that was the case but somehow I thought someone on the forum had tried them in soy.
          I'm hoping there is something out there that will work for us but I will probably repeat some of Marions tests since I use XL and she uses 135. Surely between us we'll find a solution....two heads etc
          This is extremely dilligent of you, Nurse Gladys. Can I ask a typical thicky question please: what is the difference between CB135 and Xcel? And before someone says "they are different blends" (duh!) I wonder if anyone knows what is different about them and how/why they behave differently?

Marion (sooooooooo glad to have a jar compadre! It's been a lonely journey thus far ...)

Comment

Well we met and had a good blether over huge strawberry tarts.
            I wouldn't think those around us thought we were particularly remarkable until.....we started pulling half burned candles from Mary Poppins-like bags.
            We then proceeded to disect and discuss each one in turn...when we eventually came up for air all of our "neighbours" had moved on leaving Marion and I on "Candle Island" However it was nice to spend time talking candles with someone who didn't quickly develop that glazed expression (I'm sure you know the one!)
            It was bordering on being sitcom-like. In fact, there's an idea for a 6-episode series: Candle & Co! Nurse G and I will, of course, be played by Eva & Elle

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
              This is extremely dilligent of you, Nurse Gladys. Can I ask a typical thicky question please: what is the difference between CB135 and Xcel? And before someone says "they are different blends" (duh!) I wonder if anyone knows what is different about them and how/why they behave differently?

Marion (sooooooooo glad to have a jar compadre! It's been a lonely journey thus far ...)
              The names?

Comment

The names?

Tsk. Naughty step now!

Comment

The Xcel has a slightly higher melt point and is designed to be less likely to suffer wet spots and blooming/frosting (allegedly).
                  Other than that, on paper they're the same thing.
                  Last edited by Spencer101; 16-02-2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

It was bordering on being sitcom-like. In fact, there's an idea for a 6-episode series: Candle & Co! Nurse G and I will, of course, be played by Eva & Elle
                    Leading man will be WICKsy from Eastenders!

Comment

Leading man will be WICKsy from Eastenders!
                      Groan ...

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                        The Xcel has a slightly higher melt point and is designed to be less likely to suffer wet spots and blooming/frosting (allegedly).
                        Other than that, on paper they're the same thing.
                        In other words ... it's eXCELlent!!!!!

Thanks, Grouty

Comment

I'm not so sure about the wet spots but think it might frost less. Having a higher melt point, would I have to use a bigger wick in xcel than Marion tried in 135?

Comment

Working...
                          X