Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a mushroom wick be caused by too much FO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a mushroom wick be caused by too much FO?

I've been reading up on problems with soy candles and one of the websites I looked at suggested mushrooming in wicks is caused by the Fragrance Oil.

I use 9% - I don't really want to reduce this because customers love the strength of fragrance but wondering if I should try 8%. Any thoughts?

Marion

This happened with my recent effort and I only had in 5%. I'm guessing this is what makes burn testing so important! My candle had a tiny mushroom on the first burn then none then tiny ones thereafter but when it got near to the bottom say about a quarter full the flame grew larger and it mushroomed fully with four offshoots. I googled this a lot recently and fragrance oil load can cause this but so can wick issues.

reasons I've read for mushrooming...

- the wax
    - additives
    - wick type
    - wick size too big or too small
    - fragrance load or types.

I also read that zinc cores mushroom more but that was just opinion. Hopefully an experienced chandler will pop in to help us out.

Comment

Originally posted by CANDJ View Post
      This happened with my recent effort and I only had in 5%. I'm guessing this is what makes burn testing so important! My candle had a tiny mushroom on the first burn then none then tiny ones thereafter but when it got near to the bottom say about a quarter full the flame grew larger and it mushroomed fully with four offshoots. I googled this a lot recently and fragrance oil load can cause this but so can wick issues.

reasons I've read for mushrooming...

- the wax
      - additives
      - wick type
      - wick size too big or too small
      - fragrance load or types.

I also read that zinc cores mushroom more but that was just opinion. Hopefully an experienced chandler will pop in to help us out.
      Thanks for all this info Candj - much appreciated.

The first tealight I made was with a zinc cored wick and it did mushroom so I haven't used them since. These are ECO wicks. I've tested them before with varying results. First test burn and one has split into a Y, the other 2 bent over into the wax. All had vigorous flames!

(goes back to testing ...)

Thanks again,

Marion

Comment

My wicks mushroom and I don't mind it all.

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
          My wicks mushroom and I don't mind it all.
          Another selling point perhaps....? - "The slight wick mushrooming you may experience is due to the high fragrance content of this candle."

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
            Another selling point perhaps....? - "The slight wick mushrooming you may experience is due to the high fragrance content of this candle."
            I have actually put that on my website!

Comment

Well done

Comment

A skilled sales technique right there!

Comment

That and the lovely marble effect, thanks to frosting, some of our dye candles have

Comment

Guys! This is wonderful stuff. Thank you all - I'll definitely mention the fragrance/mushroom relationship (looking for a better description than mushroom tho - any suggestions?)

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
                      Guys! This is wonderful stuff. Thank you all - I'll definitely mention the fragrance/mushroom relationship (looking for a better description than mushroom tho - any suggestions?)

Thanks!
                      The slight wick budding you may experience is caused by the rich infusion of fragrance oils used in this candle
                      Last edited by holehouse; 13-02-2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I know some people refer to them as "wick blooms", but personally I prefer mushroom.

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                          The slight wick budding you may experience is caused by the rich infusion of fragrance oils used in this candle
                          With sales talk like that you could sell snow to Inuits!

Comment

Isn't she the cat's pyjamas! Isabel - that's brilliant. Can I ask if you can remember which post had your wood wick advice blurb? I'm trying to put together a general blurb leaflet. - CANCEL THAT - I'VE FOUND IT!

Thanks again.

Marion

Comment

I certainly could, by the shed load at the moment....there's about 4" of the damn stuff outside my door....Never mind, this time next week it'll be Sangria and sun!

Comment

Working...
                              X