Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start?

Hello, Im new to this forum and to candle making!

So new, that i havent even started yet.

I decided last week that i fancy trying candle making out so here i am looking for advice on where to start! I have seen on hobbycraft website that you can buy candle making starter kits, are these any good? and are you better to start small, like tealight size? Ive also kept a few glass vases from my last cpl of candles so that when i get good (hopefully) at making cancdles, i can use these vases and personalise them with glass paint and give as gifts.

I look forward to any responses, thanks!x

Hello Linzmain and welcome!

Some candle making kits are better than others, but sometimes they can work out to be a slightly expensive way of starting out (especially from HobbyCraft!).

Starting with small with tealights isn't specifically necessary, but many people start there as they're quick to make and not too costly in materials if things go wrong. It's also a good way to get used to the basic melting and pouring techniques.

Do you have an idea of which type of wax you plan on working with?

Spencer.

Comment

Thanks for your reply! No I hadn't even thought about that!

Maybe I should have thought about it more and done some research before deciding to try it. What in your opinion is good to start with? My end result that I'd like to have is scented candles in jars/holders

Comment

Research is what you're doing now

As for wax types... Personally I would say paraffin wax is an easier wax to work with for a beginner as it's less problematic than soy for example. But if you plan on using soy, rapeseed or something similar, then it would probably make sense to just jump in with those to save having to go through the initial learning curve again.

You will be able to get a scent throw from any type of wax if you make your candles well, so that need not be a factor in deciding. And of course, the same equipment can be used for all types of wax so there's nothing saying you can't try them all.

Comment

Hi, I'm a newbie as well and I'm just getting my supplies together to make my first tealight. This forum is a great place to learn from the candle oracles and everyone is really friendly.

Good luck
          Please come see me on:

Facebook
          Twitter

Or on my blog Candles From Home

Comment

I'm new to this craft too! I started with a kit because it came with everything I needed to try candle making out and decide if it was for me. There are some inexpensive kits out there. So far I'm enjoying it and reading a lot about the craft. I'm going to do a half day course on candle making towards the end of the month to gain more tips and knowledge. I'd suggest searching on this site for past threads and reading tons and tons elsewhere too.

good luck!

Comment

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
              As others have ,mentioned this forum is a great starting place for good sound advice based on real experience of candle making. We're a friendly, often quite mad, bunch who have a common goal- to make the best candles we possibly can and the advice given on this forum is invaluable in the quest to achieve that. There is always someone here to help solve a problem or to share their experience of a similar problem. So, any questions -ask away.
              I've only been making candles for a few months now and started out using soy. I had loads of problems, and still do, trying to get the right wick, decent scent throw etc. So much so that I changed to paraffin for a while and certainly found that more successful. I'm back with soy but still use paraffin at times. Soy is very popular because of it's "eco-friendly" tag which is why I want to concentrate on it.
              When I started out I bought a small amount of supplies from 4Candles; they have a great selection, good prices and there web-site has a huge amount of info on it. I now have a list of my preferred suppliers for various things but still use 4C's for the basics.
              I would think the first thing you have to decide is which wax you want to use and take it from there.
              If you decide to start off with a kit can I recommend (if I'm allowed) www.thatflamingcandlecompany.com The proprietor is a member of this forum and actually makes candles, so if his kits are as good as his advice, I doubt you'll go far wrong.
              Other than that there is little I can tell you but let me give you a word of warning. If you deceide to make candles be prepared to give up a huge chunk of your life because it very quickly becomes an all-consuming passion! I was a sane, perfectly normal person until I started chandling and now I'm a complete candle nut-case....aided and abetted by other nut-cases on this forum
              So, if you choose to stay, don't say you haven't been warned!

Look forward to reading your future posts.
              Good Luck

Isabel

Comment

Hi guys! I'm also very new to candles, so new that I haven't even started. I'm just recently married and DIY'ed almost everything including my unity candles however it was more just decorating them. Anyway now the wedding is over I have a massive crafty void in my life and would love a new project, my house is already coming down with candles but I think I'm gonna be divorced if I buy anymore so I decided to investigate making them and if I'm any good hopefully giving them as gifts and maybe a small sideline business (more like pie in sky dreams! Lol)

The information on here is great so I'm off to do ALOT more reading!

Comment

Welcome McLisa and Linzmain - you are now officially members of the daftest forum around.

Please feel free to post any questions/suggestions/moans and groans here - someone will have experienced the same problems and you'll be deluged with friendly, helpful advice.

As others have said I would start with one type of wax and stick to it until you get to know its foibles.

I think container candles are easiest to start with (but Spencer will doubtless wax (boom boom) lyrical about the benefits of pillar candles). I started with tealights because, as S says, there's less waste if you make errors.

My own preference is for soy but it's proving to be a right awkward customer with jar candles. However, I'm determined to crack it so persevering. My tealights have been easy though.

If you decide to add fragrance oil I would recommend buying a small set of jeweller's scales (ebay, amazon £5) and WEIGHING the oil, as opposed to measuring.

You might also want to buy a small bag of each type of wax and see which you prefer.

Finally a thermometer is essential to ensure you add the fragrance oil (known round here as FO) at the correct temperature then cool the wax again to the correct temperature before pouring into containers or moulds.

I buy my wax from Thornes but there are lots of suppliers. I would tend to avoid the hobby shops as they are aimed just at that - people who do it for a hobby, not to sell. You'll struggle to make a profit at their prices.

Also, lots of fragrance oil suppliers too - all fantastic.

Best of luck and have fun experimenting! And we warned - it's been said many times before - this IS the Hotel California. "You can check out any time but you can never leave!!!"

Marion x

Comment

Welcome to the newbies you'll love it here. At the very least candle making will give you patience, if you have it already great and if you haven't you'll be getting some so be prepared. Along with patience will come a few kilos of frustration, you'll be exasperated to your wicks end and your head will ache from the amount of banging against a wall (couldn't think of anything candle related but thought of marion's frequently used emoticon) however once passed all that theres a tealights worth of success that makes it all worthwhile :-) Write everything down so if it goes wrong you won't repeat it and if goes well you can do it over and over.
                    Keep us posted.
                    Cali xx

Comment

Originally posted by Cali_ah View Post
                      Welcome to the newbies you'll love it here. At the very least candle making will give you patience, if you have it already great and if you haven't you'll be getting some so be prepared. Along with patience will come a few kilos of frustration, you'll be exasperated to your wicks end and your head will ache from the amount of banging against a wall (couldn't think of anything candle related but thought of marion's frequently used emoticon) however once passed all that theres a tealights worth of success that makes it all worthwhile :-) Write everything down so if it goes wrong you won't repeat it and if goes well you can do it over and over.
                      Keep us posted.
                      Cali xx
                      Cali is correct. I AM the chief head banger round here! (more tests than an F1 car)

Marion

Comment

I am new to the forum and candle making. I am getting my research in. Just discovered a course near me £30 to learn basics. If I can get a friend to join me I may just do it as once I have tried it I should be even more inspired.

Reading this thread already is inspiring. I pray I do not procrastinate.

Comment

Working...
                        X