Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soya wax in glass containers (wet spots?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soya wax in glass containers (wet spots?)

Hi guys, I've not used Soy wax yet but I have a potential order of 20 glass container candles and I've had problems with my paraffin container blend getting wet spots so I was wondering if Soya might be easier to work with in this situation?

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by DaCosta; 08-02-2013, 11:45 AM.

Hi
    Congratulations on your order..well done!
    I have found wet spots more of a problem in soy than paraffin, however, there are a few things I do to minimise them.
    Wet spots, I think, are caused by the wax shrinking away from the container when cooling so cooling temp seems to be everything.
    I cool my containers in an insulated bag (cool bag) with the top zipped shut, this in the main, works for me but occassionally I have had wet spots develop overnight after the candle has set. Previous posts suggest that this is caused by the drop of temp overnight when heating is off etc so best to keep the containers in the warmest room for a day or so.
    The other thing to do, if you don't already, is heat your containers before pouring. I either put mine in the oven or pop them on top of a radiator until I'm ready to pour. Pouring temp is also a factor.
    There has been a huge amount written on this forum about how to avoid wet spots but the over-riding opinion is that we should just embrace them as a natural occurence in container candles. Take a look at Yankee candles and the number of wet spots they have!
    Good luck with the order, I hope it goes well for you!

Isabel

Comment

I would say embracing wet spots is the way forward. I've tried many methods over the years of avoiding them, but the 100% solution is an elusive beast.

The problem is you can produce a lovely batch of wet spot free candles but the minute you hand them over a delivery company they head for an unheated warehouse or sorting office and as the wax cools more the wet spots appear.

Comment

As Spencer says, go with it. I don't have a huge problem but if anyone does ask my response will be that they are the mark of a hand-poured candle.

HTH,

Marion

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
          As Spencer says, go with it. I don't have a huge problem but if anyone does ask my response will be that they are the mark of a hand-poured candle.

HTH,

Marion
          Do you by any chance work in marketing?
          Please come see me on:

Facebook
          Twitter

Or on my blog Candles From Home

Comment

Well, I have a little honeysuckle tester cooling slowly in an also-cooling oven at the moment (although it will have to come out at dinner time!). I heated the glass to 35 degrees and poured at 65 degrees, so fingers crossed.

I don't have an insulated bag but I'm sure I can wrap it in something overnight.... Like you guys have found, they look fine until overnight and as you say the temperature must be dropping and low and behold, in the morning = disappointment.

I'll stick with paraffin though as it's what I've been using and I don't want to change too much for fear of c*%king it all up! I like the idea of soya but I have enough on my plate without changing waxes too!

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Rose View Post
              Do you by any chance work in marketing?
              Hah, no! But I work in a college and my desk is next to the Retail Lecturers so I pick their brains shamelessly. Also my chief "tester" is a lecturer in Business and a Yankee-addict.

Marion

Comment

Good old wet spots!!! Pain in the butt however unavoidable! As spencer said- perfect wet spot free candles can develop them overnight, on delivery, during storage! I don't stress about them. If they are present so be it- I have never had anyone comment on them and if the candle smells good I don't think anyone will!

I'm with Marion- mark of a hand poured candle!!!!

C

Comment

oh, oh, oh this is soooo good to hear

Comment

I'm not sure my customers will be so understanding... but at least it makes me feel better

Comment

I had two about 2-3 days after I made my glass container candle. They looked like little maps of Africa or Egypt. I believe it is related to room temperature and how your candle cools from what I've read. I read conflicting things abut heating up the glass containers and I didn't heat mine. I read about someone using a warm water bath. Not sure how that works.

Comment

Originally posted by DaCosta View Post
                        I'm not sure my customers will be so understanding... but at least it makes me feel better

Here's a question for you... before you started making container candles, did you ever pick one up in a shop and decide you wouldn't buy it because it had a wet spot?

I know I didn't. In fact, I only even noticed wet spots because they appeared in the first candle I ever made and I was absolutely devastated that my first ever candle was not "perfect".

In reality, the wet spots in that particular candle were the least of my worries (it was an absolute catalogue of errors!), but the story serves the purpose of pointing out that although you say you customers might not be so understanding about wet spots, the likelihood is they wont even bat an eyelid at them!

Comment

You guys have cheered me up as I was having the same problem and beginning to give up as I have been having wet spot troubles and also what looks like bubbles in the wax despite never having the bubbles before. Question is it because I poored it too cool or too quick or what? please help

Comment

Bubbles in the wax would more than likely be a combination of pouring too cool and not carefully enough.

Alternatively it could be caused by overly vigorous stirring during the melting and mixing process.

Comment

Thanks Spencer I think I poured it 2 cool as i was seeing if that would help but seemed 2 make it worse but im still learning as most of my time doing this has been a warmer time of year so cooling hasnt been such an issue and maybe abit quick xxx

Thank u xxxx

Comment

Working...
                              X