Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Votives with cb-135 soy wax?

Hi all

Does anyone on here make votive candles with cb-135 soy wax? do they last long and do you get good results? Any feedback would be great as always

Steve

Forgot to mention, what wicks should i try in the votive candles? The votive candle moulds say they last for 15 hours if that helps.

Thanks
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by whocky View Post
      Hi all

Does anyone on here make votive candles with cb-135 soy wax? do they last long and do you get good results? Any feedback would be great as always

Steve
      I've tried votives with XL and found them to be quite soft. I know there have been debates on the forum about whether a votive is a container candle or not. I've used CSN 12 or 14 for the soy votives I've made in the past but now only use Paraffin wax for them.

HTH

Isabel

Comment

Thanks holehouse

I'm asking because i use the soy cb-135 for my melts which may i add are a big hit, though I'm also wanting to do votives as well and see how they go. Didn't really want to use paraffin wax for anything.

Ponders on what to do...

Steve

Comment

Thanks holehouse

I'm asking because i use the soy cb-135 for my melts which may i add are a big hit, though I'm also wanting to do votives as well and see how they go. Didn't really want to use paraffin wax for anything.

Ponders on what to do...

Steve
          Try them out and see how they go. They burn fine but I found they were easily damaged. Alternative is you could use soy pillar blend.
          Congrats on your success with the melts. Well done.
          P.S. Votives are easy to make with the moulds and pins, most difficult thing is getting the wick pin out but it's very satisfying when you do!
          Isabel

Comment

Hi,

I make mine using the soy pillar blend because as Isabel says they are just too soft in anything other than that I have found. They either end up chipped or battered which if your wanting to sell them isnt very attractive. I guess you could try the x-cel but they look much better in pillar blend and the scent is always better in pillar than x-cel.

Serena x

Comment

Thanks for the reply's.

So here goes another approach, Is there any other soy wax that's good for melts and votives? or is the cb-135 better for the melts?

Will take a look at other waxes i just don't want to use paraffin.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the reply's.

So here goes another approach, Is there any other soy wax that's good for melts and votives? or is the cb-135 better for the melts?

Will take a look at other waxes i just don't want to use paraffin.
                Steve
                Any of the soy waxes make good melts. I use XL but I've never tried using soy pillar blend for melts but I believe PB is harder so may be more difficult to melt in a melter. I suppose the easiest way to find out is to either phone the company you get your wax from or buy a small bag and try- if it doesn't work you can always use the PB for your votives.

PS Just found this on t'nternet.
                Keep in mind that the key to making soy wax candles is quality ingredients... mainly a good soy candle wax. In this project I have used KY Candle Wax Supply's votive blend. Soy tarts and soy floative candles can be made with either a soy container wax or a soy pillar/votive blend.
                Last edited by holehouse; 06-02-2013, 06:32 PM.

Comment

So what is Soy cd-135 is it a container wax? with that statement that you found i should be ok with it.

Comment

Ok really stupid question coming here but what IS a votive? (gasps of horror all round!)

Is it not just a very small pillar candle? (or an overgrown, containerless tealight?)

I don't mean to sound flippant - I truly don't know what it is.

Marion (Clueless tonight)

Comment

So what is Soy cd-135 is it a container wax? with that statement that you found i should be ok with it.
                      Yes you should be but remember they will be easily damaged. I would imagine the soy pillar blend would be a bit more robust. It may be better to think of changing to PB for both.

Isabel

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
                        Ok really stupid question coming here but what IS a votive? (gasps of horror all round!)

Is it not just a very small pillar candle? (or an overgrown, containerless tealight?)

I don't mean to sound flippant - I truly don't know what it is.

Marion (Clueless tonight)
                        I think a votive is a bit of a mongrel candle.
                        It's a pillar because it stands alone without a container but it has to burned in a container to be safe. As it melts it fills up the container making it a container candle . A bit chicken and egg me-thinks

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                          I think a votive is a bit of a mongrel candle.
                          It's a pillar because it stands alone without a container but it has to burned in a container to be safe. As it melts it fills up the container making it a container candle . A bit chicken and egg me-thinks
                          Really??? So, you put it in a glass (or other container) that it's just slightly too small for? Golly. Learning all the time. Thanks Isabel!

Thicky of North East Fife

Comment

Haha mongrel love it

Comment

Hi again

So say i use the soy cb-135 in containers rather than votives would it work. Anyone done it?

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X