Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holes and craters on the surface

I have another problem!

After discovering my wicks are fine I have started making tiny batches ~ three lavender and three citrus candles but they have set really weirdly. The citrus have actual holes on the top and the lavender have craters on the top )not round the wick but between the wick and tin). I have no idea why this has happened. I usually make the candles singly in bean/dog food/custard tins but this time because I wanted to make three of each used my genware steel jug, everything else was the same ~ wax, FO and temperatures.

Can someone shed some light on what has happened? Can these imperfections be cured with a blast of the hairdryer?

This is just typical as they are supposed to be my proper candles to sell.

I have wine now and a box of chocolates!

I've found the odd small hole or little group of holes in the top of soy jars - it happens now and then. No idea why. What kind of candles are they Lou?

Comment

These are my tin candles with soy xcel, ECO14 wick and 9% FO that I have made loads of times as test candles. The holes are quite big ~ I thought something had got in the wax.

Starting to think candle making is not for me!

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
        I have another problem!

After discovering my wicks are fine I have started making tiny batches ~ three lavender and three citrus candles but they have set really weirdly. The citrus have actual holes on the top and the lavender have craters on the top )not round the wick but between the wick and tin). I have no idea why this has happened. I usually make the candles singly in bean/dog food/custard tins but this time because I wanted to make three of each used my genware steel jug, everything else was the same ~ wax, FO and temperatures.

Can someone shed some light on what has happened? Can these imperfections be cured with a blast of the hairdryer?

This is just typical as they are supposed to be my proper candles to sell.

I have wine now and a box of chocolates!

NO NO NO Not wine and chocolates on a candle making night!!
        This often happens to me but worry not, armed with your trusty heat gun (hairdryer) blast the blighters to kingdom come!
        Wait until tomorrow to do it so that it's fully set and any splashes around the tin will wipe off with a baby wipe.
        I often give the tins a couple of taps with a spoon when they are at the "slushy bottom" stage and that seems to help too.
        I sometimes think it's cause by the candle cooling too quickly.

Remember if it all goes wrong just now it'll be fine when you swing into full production

Isabel

Comment

For want of a better phrase, show us your tins!

Could you post a pic or two of the offending candles?
          Difficult to suggest a solution without seeing this particular problem.

Comment

You wanna see my tins!
            Here they are ~ the one with craters hasn't come out too good but you can see them at the bottom.
            P2040011.jpgP2040012.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
              For want of a better phrase, show us your tins!

Could you post a pic or two of the offending candles?
              Difficult to suggest a solution without seeing this particular problem.
              Ooh Missus!

Comment

You wanna see my tins!
                Here they are ~ the one with craters hasn't come out too good but you can see them at the bottom.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]34945[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]34946[/ATTACH]
                Lou, These are the same holes I sometimes get. They come out easily with a heat gun. Would be good to know what causes them though.

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                  Lou, These are the same holes I sometimes get. They come out easily with a heat gun. Would be good to know what causes them though.
                  Thanks, I will blast them tomorrow ~ stand back
                  I think they cooled too quickly ~ the dogs kept wanting to go out and I am sure opening and closing the door didn't help.

Comment

Nothing a heat gun ( hair dryer ) wont sort out Don't give up.

Comment

Originally posted by whocky View Post
                      Nothing a heat gun ( hair dryer ) wont sort out Don't give up.
                      Thank you! I will do that this morning

Comment

I have used a hair dryer on the offending candles and they look much better but I can't get the hole out of one of them. Also does using too much heat on them affect the FO?
                        I made another citrus candle today and that too has got a hole in it?! I have also made four another scents and they all look fine.
                        Very strange.

Comment

I have used a hair dryer on the offending candles and they look much better but I can't get the hole out of one of them. Also does using too much heat on them affect the FO?
                          I made another citrus candle today and that too has got a hole in it?! I have also made four another scents and they all look fine.
                          Very strange.

Hi Lou
                          Sometimes when this happens to me and I apply direct heat the hole seems to get a bit bigger..wonder if it's maybe an air-bubble?
                          Anyway, all I do is continue to heat until it goes away. I've melted as much as 2cm deep in the past to get rid of a pot hole without affecting the scent throw.

Isabel

Comment

Thanks Isabel ~ that is good to know. I was worries the FO might evaporate or something.
                            I am going to leave the one I couldn't get out and give it to a friend, she won't a tiny imperfection.
                            x

Comment

Tiny imperfections are what makes our candles special and look hand made .... I would be thrilled to get one of your candles as I am sure she will be

Comment

Working...
                              X