1/3 of a shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/3 of a shop

I've just been offered a one third of a shop, week-to-week for my candles and other goods. Reluctantly I've turned it down. Economic necessity dictates I have a "proper" job 3 days a week so I'd struggle to take my turn of staffing the shop, plus come home and make candles, grow plants and do the other crafts I indulge in. Also I know I'm not selling enough just now to make the rent. The location is good but I really can't take the risk. It's my time more than anything.

Ho hum. It is without doubt the right decision. All the same ...

On the plus side the lady who offered it has said she will take some of my stuff to sell so it might work out well, even giving her a cut.

Ah well ...

Marion

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
    I've just been offered a one third of a shop, week-to-week for my candles and other goods. Reluctantly I've turned it down. Economic necessity dictates I have a "proper" job 3 days a week so I'd struggle to take my turn of staffing the shop, plus come home and make candles, grow plants and do the other crafts I indulge in. Also I know I'm not selling enough just now to make the rent. The location is good but I really can't take the risk. It's my time more than anything.

Ho hum. It is without doubt the right decision. All the same ...

On the plus side the lady who offered it has said she will take some of my stuff to sell so it might work out well, even giving her a cut.

Ah well ...

Marion
    Oh Marion what a pity but good news that she may stock some of your things. As they say up here "Whats for you, won't go by you!"
    A better opportunity will come along later

Isabel

Comment

Thanks Isabel. It's not the right time to take a risk, especially while I'm still cutting my "chandling teeth". Lovely to be asked though.

Marion

Comment

For me marion i would of took the risk but then i am like that and love taking risk and them paying off.

On the other hand try your products in the shop if the lady said she is willing to do that and see how it goes yiu may do quite well.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by whocky View Post
          For me marion i would of took the risk but then i am like that and love taking risk and them paying off.

On the other hand try your products in the shop if the lady said she is willing to do that and see how it goes yiu may do quite well.

Steve
          Yep, I think that's the way to go, Steve. Unfortunately too many children to educate to pack in the day job. Hey ho.

Comment

It is a shame but it is also very hard to give up the security!

Well jell (!) though as this is just what I am looking for!
            Carrie

Comment

Feels to me like you made the right decision, for now Marion. At least this way you will get to see how your candles sell, have time to grow you business and your time is probably more valuable making candles and growing plants than sat in a shop selling for three days a week. win win for you I'd say and you never know the offer may still be open when you're ready

Comment

Thanks Val & Tiaraprincess. The lady who offered it is very kind and supportive so I know she'll stock my stuff if there is room after the other tenants (hopefully) fill their corners. She's also a few years further down the line than me so a great opportunity for her. I hope she does really well - she deserves it.

Comment

Think about it this way.... If you've had that great offer now, just imagine the offers you'll receive when your craft is even more finely honed!

Must have been torment to turn the offer down, but it sounds like you've made the right decision.

One day before long you'll be making that offer to someone else

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                    Think about it this way.... If you've had that great offer now, just imagine the offers you'll receive when your craft is even more finely honed!

Must have been torment to turn the offer down, but it sounds like you've made the right decision.

One day before long you'll be making that offer to someone else
                    Thanks Grouty.

Comment

That's brilliant Marion, well done. That's exactly what we're after at the moment, but no shop shares like that exist around here sadly! So many people ask us where our shop is and at the moment we have to say that aside from our two stockists, we're only at farmers markets. Definitely worth keeping your bridges there because if people react to yours like they have ours, you'll be wanting that shop space sooner than you thought!

Comment

Originally posted by LauraShayler View Post
                        That's brilliant Marion, well done. That's exactly what we're after at the moment, but no shop shares like that exist around here sadly! So many people ask us where our shop is and at the moment we have to say that aside from our two stockists, we're only at farmers markets. Definitely worth keeping your bridges there because if people react to yours like they have ours, you'll be wanting that shop space sooner than you thought!
                        Thanks Laura. In a year or two it might be ideal but just now too much of a chance. But I will offer my stock with a bit off the price as an incentive to take it. She's a good craft fair buddy so I'm sure she'll do what she can. I just have to hope she doesn't find another chandler in my place. Good to you your products are going down a storm. Well done!

Comment

I think it was probably for the best. A few years ago I was desperate for a shop but now I'm glad I didn't do it. Galleries have been well down recently. It's all online these days. You only have to look at such places as Notonthehighstreet to see that it's so much easier to buy with a few clicks. I ordered aprons for my sisters' birthdays today that have funny personalised messages on them. They've been made and posted out within a day. I wouldn't be able to find such things in a shop.
                          Carole x
                          www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Mama good points there everthing is online these days.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by whocky View Post
                              Mama good points there everthing is online these days.

Steve
                              I agree Carole & Steve. I did all my Christmas shopping, bar chocolate, online because it's so much easier than lugging bags in and out of shops in town. Greater choice too. Thanks both.

Marion

Comment

Working...
                              X