Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning Time

Hi all

My latest test jar is now approaching 27.5 hours which is great - I had hoped for 30 but happy with anything over 20.

However, for probably the last 3-4 hours it's been a very small flame, existing on vapour, almost, with hardly any wax left in the jar.

So my question is would you claim a burning time of 27 hours or stop it around the point when the flame began to die down, ie 23/24 hours?

Thanks,

Marion

under promise and over deliver

(and all other annoying marketing clich├ęs!)
    Please come see me on:

Facebook
    Twitter

Or on my blog Candles From Home

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
      Hi all

My latest test jar is now approaching 27.5 hours which is great - I had hoped for 30 but happy with anything over 20.

However, for probably the last 3-4 hours it's been a very small flame, existing on vapour, almost, with hardly any wax left in the jar.

So my question is would you claim a burning time of 27 hours or stop it around the point when the flame began to die down, ie 23/24 hours?

Thanks,

Marion
      Well done you!
      I would probably go in the middle and say they had a burn time of 25+

Ix

Comment

Thanks Both. I have another test to do (probably another couple of tests) but will err on the low side.

Marion

Comment

I will add to Anna Rose's post. If you claim high but one odd candle did not burn that long (maybe was burned in a draught or similar place) the customer may complain. I would say go for around 22 hours and have them be pleasantly surprised.
          David Bolger - CEO of Endless Green Group Ltd
          Retailer, Distributor and Manufacturer of Hobby, Craft and Pastime supplies

Candle Making Supplies
          http://www.thatflamingcandlecompany.com

Bolgers Woodworking Supplies
          http://www.bolgers.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by CandleMan View Post
            I will add to Anna Rose's post. If you claim high but one odd candle did not burn that long (maybe was burned in a draught or similar place) the customer may complain. I would say go for around 22 hours and have them be pleasantly surprised.
            thanks Candleman. I will err on the low side. Another couple of tests to do to be sure but I may say between 20 and 25 hours rather than a set time.

Marion

Comment

How's the other candle burning today?

Isabel

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                How's the other candle burning today?

Isabel
                Thanks for asking Isabel. So far, so good.

I did take a tiny sliver off and straight away I could see it was burning less vigorously. At first I wondered if it would tunnel but it hasn't. There was a little residue on the sides but it's cleared now that it's down from the shoulders. I think it'll burn much longer but won't know for a couple of days.

I think for the next test I'm going to sand the small wick down slightly, rather than try cutting a sliver off. It's very hard to keep straight and even trying to take off such a small skelf. I took sandpaper to it anyway to smooth off the rough edges so I reckon if I give it a few rubs up and down I might get the right size.

It's starting to become an obsession!!!

Marion

Comment

Sounds as if you've cracked these jars! Well done you!
                  isabel

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                    Sounds as if you've cracked these jars! Well done you!
                    isabel
                    Hopefully, with wood wicks at least. 14 hours burning and about 2/5 done so I might make my 30 hours after all. Need to try the sandpaper version though. Wonder if I'll ever actually SELL one ... it's like a kind of purgatory, climbing a wall I'll never reach the top of!

But had fun tonight making up tealight boxes. Done 18 and stopped for the night. Sleep tight, all!

Comment

Working...
                    X