Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primed wicks

I have a couple of questions really!

I have decided to get the natural (unbleached) wick from full moons cauldron but can't decide whether it would be best to get the primed or unprimed.

Firstly, does anyone know what type of wax they have primed them with. I am planning on using them for soy and beeswax, so would prefer that they were primed with soy. I know I could ring and ask but I'm impatient and don't want to wait till working hours for an answer so if anyone knows that would be good (Marion you've used them, any ideas?)

Secondly, I read somewhere (no doubt on this forum) that you could soak the wick in the EO for a better throw, so I was planning on doing this, however, I guessing theres no point in soaking a primed wick, so can you soak a wick with fragrance before priming or does this method only work if you're using an unprimed wick anyway. Does anyone soak there wicks in fragrance and does it work?

Hi Squeakyclean

I have just started using the full moons natural wicks, so am not an expert by any means, I can tell you what I do and I am sure someone else will also help.

I buy the unprimed wicks as it is so much cheaper and it is so easy to prime them. I just dip a length of wick in the melted wax to match the wax I'm using and wait till the bubble stop then lift it out allow it it cool enough and then run my fingers down the length to press out any remaining air bubbles and straighening it. Hopefully if I am doing it wrong or there is a better way someone will point us both in the right direction..... please

As far as I know if you are using beeswax you need to prime with Beeswax but that could just be me making assumptions...

I would be interested to hear what others have to say on beeswax as I want to use it but haven't done much yet; another thing on my to do list

Val

Comment

Hi Ives/Squeaky,

I have to say I don't know which wax they are primed with. I have only bought primed with sustainer because I don't seem to have time for making up wicks with sustainers. It costs a bit more but I'm still covering my costs plus a good mark-up with my tealights.

I have had great success with their wicks for tealights but not jars. I am now starting to wonder if I should try buying unprimed wicks and prime them myself in the jars. I'm having great problems with mushroomed, ugly wicks which need a serious trim between burnings.

Re FO my own view is that it's too expensive to prime wicks with. You would have to pour some out into a flattish dish I think then soak the wick and I don't think you would want to pour the residue back into the bottle as it might contaminate it with something. But if anyone out there has tried this and thinks it's worth doing I'd be interested to read about it.

If you'd like me to post you an MP wick (primed with sustainer) I'd be happy to. Just let me know the size and PM your name & address. I don't have them all but quite a few and if I do have the one you're after (or more than one) I'll send it/them off tomorrow.

HTH,

Marion

Comment

Thanks, I'm starting to think I'd be best getting unprimed and priming with whatever I'm using. Thanks for the offer Marion but I'm also not sure what size I want anyway, so I'm going to get one of their multi packs to begin with.

With the fragrance I was thinking of just soaking it in the oil which I already have measured out for use in the candle anyway, so I wouldn't need to worry about contamination that way.

Bit worryiing to hear you've not had much success with the wicks for containers though Marion because thats made what I'll be using them for. Don't really do tealights except for competitive reasons

Comment

Originally posted by squeakyclean View Post
          Thanks, I'm starting to think I'd be best getting unprimed and priming with whatever I'm using. Thanks for the offer Marion but I'm also not sure what size I want anyway, so I'm going to get one of their multi packs to begin with.

With the fragrance I was thinking of just soaking it in the oil which I already have measured out for use in the candle anyway, so I wouldn't need to worry about contamination that way.

Bit worryiing to hear you've not had much success with the wicks for containers though Marion because thats made what I'll be using them for. Don't really do tealights except for competitive reasons
          Don't be put off by my lack of success with containers - I think most people have less hassle than me. I plan to buy a couple of commercial soy container candles and observe how they burn and compare it with my own. Then I'll have more of an idea whether my "problems" are common or if I need to keep working on them.

I've had success with wood wicks though, although I find the one that works for me is burning quite fast. I might try another jar with just a sliver off the wick to see if that helps. But I'd be happy with my jar as it is, if people will buy it with a burn time of 20 hours (I had hoped for 30 but ...)

Happy wicking!

Marion

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
            Don't be put off by my lack of success with containers - I think most people have less hassle than me. I plan to buy a couple of commercial soy container candles and observe how they burn and compare it with my own. Then I'll have more of an idea whether my "problems" are common or if I need to keep working on them.

I've had success with wood wicks though, although I find the one that works for me is burning quite fast. I might try another jar with just a sliver off the wick to see if that helps. But I'd be happy with my jar as it is, if people will buy it with a burn time of 20 hours (I had hoped for 30 but ...)

Happy wicking!

Marion

Marion The jar I tested last night is 75mm across, I tried with a large wood wick~~~Nooo Way far too big.
            So I then stuck in 1/2 the wick and it burned really well ~ only a small amount of wax left in the corners and that is disappearing now with the second burn. It would certainly be more cost effective to use 1/2 a large wood wick and get four wicks from one. Unless of course, you have plans for the slivers.

Isabel

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
              Marion The jar I tested last night is 75mm across, I tried with a large wood wick~~~Nooo Way far too big.
              So I then stuck in 1/2 the wick and it burned really well ~ only a small amount of wax left in the corners and that is disappearing now with the second burn. It would certainly be more cost effective to use 1/2 a large wood wick and get four wicks from one. Unless of course, you have plans for the slivers.

Isabel
              Thanks Isabel. I don't have any large ones but might buy one. The successful one for me was a small one (with our jars you get 2 per wick anyway because they are twice as tall as needed). I am now wondering about taking a sliver off a small one.

I took a sliver off a medium one which still looked wider than the small and it tunneled from the start! So maybe not worth slivering a bit off a small one. I'm not sure but currently melting down all earlier test jars to make up another one to try.

Either that or I just say I'm happy with around 22 hours burn and have done with it. But the competition out there seems to be able to get in excess of 30 hours for my weight of wax (which I could with traditional wicks but, as you know, I wasn't happy with the apperance of the wicks).

And on it goes ... thanks for the info. Have your unity wicks arrived?

Marion

Comment

Hi Marion

I think half a large wick is a small wick so should work. Medium wicks from 4C's are only slightly bigger than the small wicks and yet it seems to make a big difference, so it might be worth taking a sliver off a small wick .....

I have found I get less burn time with wood wicks, I'm also having an ongoing experiment with prolonging the times but haven't managed it yet.

Grrrrrrr ......

val

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by sheddie View Post
                  Hi Marion

I think half a large wick is a small wick so should work. Medium wicks from 4C's are only slightly bigger than the small wicks and yet it seems to make a big difference, so it might be worth taking a sliver off a small wick .....

I have found I get less burn time with wood wicks, I'm also having an ongoing experiment with prolonging the times but haven't managed it yet.

Grrrrrrr ......

val

Good luck.
                  Oh Val - that is the holy grail for me. If you work out how to prolong wood wick burning I'll pay you in rubies!!! (well maybe a tealight or two)

I've melted down odds and sods and about to take a sliver off a small wick. That said, I'm not keen to do it because of my experience with the medium wood wick. When I burned a medium one it burned far too fast - really fast! So I took the tiniest bit off it and it tunneled from the start. I think maybe the sliver was a bit uneven so wondering if I'd actually have the confidence to sell candles with a bit taken off a small wood wick. What if the results were unpredictable?

(worry worry worry!)

Marion x

Comment

I know what you mean it is difficult to be consistant much easier to cut a large wick down using a craft knife, if you cut a large wick down to a medium wick you are left with an extra small wick ...... does that make sense

have fun ...

Had guests so have yet to get much done today .... rugby on now so taking time out

So much to do, so little time to test, test, test ...... every time I think I have 'got it' something else pops it's ugly head up .....

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Comment

It's getting on my WICK, that's for sure! Enjoy the rugby. x

Comment

I have a French brother-in-law ............ I so enjoyed the rugby

Comment

I have a French brother-in-law ............ I so enjoyed the rugby
                          As a Scot I decline to comment ...

Comment

I also have a Scottish brother -in-law ......

Comment

I also have a Scottish brother -in-law ......
                              We're used to weeping a lot ...

Comment

Working...
                              X