Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Votive candles?

Hi all

We have been making wax melts and have a great response with our customers so now we want to try votive s though I was wondering how many votive candles ( 15 hour ones) would a pound of wax make?

Also any advice on what wicks I should get and where to buy them?

Thanks
    Steve

A pound of wax makes 12

with regards to wicks it depends on if your using soy or paraffin

Comment

Hi wicky

I'm using soy wax sorry forgot to mention in my original post.

Thanks
      Steve

Comment

I'm officially the World's Worst Wicker so possibly not much help here (although now having success with wood wicks in soy, so far) but I just wondered if I was the only person confused by a conversation between Whocky and Wicky about Wicks and Wax???

(goes off to lie down)

Marion

Comment

Haha marion

Another question, when making votive candles do you use a wick pin then wick the candle once done or wick straight away?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by whocky View Post
            Haha marion

Another question, when making votive candles do you use a wick pin then wick the candle once done or wick straight away?

Steve
            Hi again Steve,

I have to confess I've not made Votives (only tealights and jars) and not tried wick pins either. So I'm a bit in the dark here. Are wick pins used instead of sustainers?

Marion

Comment

you can do either. you can use a wick pin that you pour the wax around. then remove the candle from the mould, tap it out its wick pin and then insert your wick and sustainer. or a much tidier way is to set up a wick assembly with sustainer over the mould prior to pouring. keep the sustainer 1mm or 2mm off the bottom of the mould and fill the wax around the sustainer and wick. this gives you a complete candle at the end, including wick and sustainer, all enclosed in the wax so it looks tidier. you will have to make sure your wick is firmly gripped on the assembly as the wax will pull on the wick as it shrinks. takes a bit of practice but results in a nice tidy little votive.
              does that make sense?

if you want to heat your moulds slightly; set up your assemblies beforehand (i use a lollipop stick and blutack to hold my wick/sustainer above the mould) measure them to the correct votive mould and then put them to one side to use once you bring your moulds out of the oven.

I'm still practicing/learning with votives but i find them very rewarding.

Comment

DaCosta, you put your votive moulds in the oven? Is this just a personal preference or something that you have to do.

Comment

DaCosta, you put your votive moulds in the oven? Is this just a personal preference or something that you have to do.
                  You need to heat the containers slightly. I put mine on top of the radiator until I'm ready to use.
                  I prefer to use wick pins when making votives and threading the wick through when finished. I heat the sustainer slightly, over a tea light and it sticks to the base of the candle. I find using the wick pins much easier and it ensures your wick is straight. It all comes down to personal preference. The wicks I use for votives are either 3x6c or 3x8c for paraffin container blend from 4 Candles

Isabel

Comment

Thanks holehouse, would the wick be the same for soy wax as well i wonder.

Comment

Thanks holehouse, would the wick be the same for soy wax as well i wonder.
                      No. These cotton core wicks only work with paraffin so far as I know. I've used CSN 12 or 14 for soy votives and they worked ok. I preferr paraffin for my votives I've found soy pillar blend quite soft and easily chipped but again it's down to personal preference.

Isabel

Comment

Working...
                      X