candle has tiny white spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• candle has tiny white spots

Hi, I recently made some candles but some of them have tiny white spots..
    I am using paraffin wax, stearin, dye discs and scent, on my first ever candle my dad poured way too much scent in and the candle came out really bad with imperfections all over it, am I using too much scent? Or is there other possibilities that im doing wrong, I put the candle in a water bath after 2 min from pouring the wax, then leave for about an hour then take them out, i cant post pictures of them because this is my first post, if youd like me to email pics to help me better email me your address and ill be happy to send pictures of the candles, please help, thanks.

Originally posted by purplexer View Post
    Hi, I recently made some candles but some of them have tiny white spots..
    I am using paraffin wax, stearin, dye discs and scent, on my first ever candle my dad poured way too much scent in and the candle came out really bad with imperfections all over it, am I using too much scent? Or is there other possibilities that im doing wrong, I put the candle in a water bath after 2 min from pouring the wax, then leave for about an hour then take them out, i cant post pictures of them because this is my first post, if youd like me to email pics to help me better email me your address and ill be happy to send pictures of the candles, please help, thanks.
    Hi purplexer and welcome to the forum.
    Congratulations on making your first candles...it will all spiral out of control now and you'll become as addicted as the rest of us!
    What kind of candles did you make? pillar or container. What kind of paraffin wax did you use and how much stearin, dye and scent?
    All of these things have a bearing on why your candles may have developed white spots. If you can tell us a bit more I'm sure, between us, we'll be able to give the advice you are looking for.

Isabel

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply, im not too sure on any of those things really the paraffin wax I bought online and it was said to be of a very good standard, the amounts I use are guess work usually because I dont have anything to measure by but ive read to use 10% stearin, I usually add the dye until I get it the colour I want and with scent I usually add about a drop as I never make much wax up at any one time as only have a small pan to melt the wax in. The wax I use is beaded and the stearin is in tiny dots, the white dots in the candles look exactly like the stearin, is it not melting properly or mixing properly... Ive read to never pour the wax below 85c (I think its c and not f lol) anyway so I do that im not sure where im going wrong here though.
      Any help is greatly appreciated thanks

Comment

Originally posted by purplexer View Post
        Hi, thanks for your reply, im not too sure on any of those things really the paraffin wax I bought online and it was said to be of a very good standard, the amounts I use are guess work usually because I dont have anything to measure by but ive read to use 10% stearin, I usually add the dye until I get it the colour I want and with scent I usually add about a drop as I never make much wax up at any one time as only have a small pan to melt the wax in. The wax I use is beaded and the stearin is in tiny dots, the white dots in the candles look exactly like the stearin, is it not melting properly or mixing properly... Ive read to never pour the wax below 85c (I think its c and not f lol) anyway so I do that im not sure where im going wrong here though.
        Any help is greatly appreciated thanks

Hi
        I think it may be difficult to find out where you are going wrong because you don't have exact measurements.
        I'm assuming, if you're using stearin you're making pillar candles which I have no experience in.
        However, making a candle is a bit like baking, you have to weigh and measure all you ingredients. If you're unsure how much wax you're using, you can't be sure how much stearin to add. Maybe you're right and the white dots are undissolved stearin because there is too much in the mix.
        Your scent should also be added as a percentage of your wax, msot people start around 6% if it's fragrance oil you are using.
        So if you need 250g of wax for your candle and you want to add 10% stearin you would add 25g. Your FO quantity at 6% would be 15g.
        If it is a pillar candle you are making I don't think you "have" to cool it in a water bath, I believe some people use this method if the want a shiney finish to the surface of the candle, if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will come along and correct me.
        I would suggest that you try another candle, weighing out your ingredients and leave to set without the water bath and see how that turns out.
        Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Isabel

Comment

Working...
        X