Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polycarbonate sphere and pesky little bubbles

Hi all,

Last night I made my first polycarbonate sphere candle (this mould http://www.pagandreams.co.uk/pics/8661.jpg ) using blended paraffin from 4candles and whilst i'm overall happy with the candle I seem to have trapped lots of airbubbles in the 'waves' in the bottom of the candle (the top whilst making it). I'm not sure if I can heat polycarbonate, as I know heating a mould can help reduce air bubbles.

Is there any other way of avoiding those pesky little air bubbles in plastic moulds?

I poured at 80c / 176f degrees - should I pour higher or lower?

I didn't want to pour at too high a temperature as I was worried about compromising the mould!

Did you tap the mould after pouring to bring the bubbles to the surface?

Also pouring slowly helps

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply Wicky.

I did tap but the bubbles seemed to appear after the wax had settled so perhaps I should have tapped again.

I'll heed the pouring slowly, it was a bit tricky pouring into the mould as it's pour hole is pretty small, made smaller by the wick assembly resting on top and I wasn't using a pan with a spout, just a normal saucepan.

Do you think adding vybar would help? I don't know if 4candles blended wax has vybar in it (i assumed it did) but I'm not sure.

Comment

I don't use pre blended, but I would of thought it would have had vybar in it....maybe someone else on here who uses it can answer that?

I've never used the mould in question, so can't really help anymore, other than the tapping and pouring slower... Maybe a jug with a spout might help ... See if you can see anything online about the pour temp for polycarbonate moulds

Comment

Although I don't use it any longer (for reasons outlined elsewhere on the forum), I can tell you that the pre-blended paraffin pillar wax from 4C doesn't contain Vybar. It's 90% straight paraffin wax and 10% stearin.

Adding some Vybar can help reduce the occurrence of bubbles in the candle surface, but it's another round of testing to work out exactly how much you need.

A far easier way is a combination of the methods mentioned above (and maybe one or two more)...

Mix your FO/EO into the wax don't whip it in. Gentle stirring will avoid getting tiny air bubble mixed in with the wax.

If possible, use a pouring jug rather than pouring from your melting pan. Far greater control that way and less chance of splashing which mean even less air mixed in with the wax.

Pour the wax slowly and gently, then after a few seconds, lift the whole mould up and give it a couple of gentle taps down on the table. This will help dislodge any bubbles that have accumulated on the candle surface.

Primed wick will have no air trapped in it. Unprimed wick will release tiny little bubbles into the wax when you pour. This tiny amount of air can accumulate in the wax and form bubbles on the surface.

Do not pour too cool. The cooler the wax the more likely it is to trap air bubbles.

I wouldn't suggest heating the plastic moulds. Plastic is a poor heat conductor and will more than likely start to melt under heat gun temperature far before the heat transmits through to the wax.

Hope that's of help and very interested to see the candles that come out of this mould

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
            Although I don't use it any longer (for reasons outlined elsewhere on the forum)
            Thanks all.

Spencer, why don't you use this wax?

I'll let you know the outcome. I haven't burnt the candle yet but hopefully it'll be lovely once alight. I've never made a sphere before this.

I'll take all these comments on board for my next round

As always, thanks to you all for the input. Very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by DaCosta View Post
              Spencer, why don't you use this wax?
              The simple answer is personal preference.
              Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with this wax at all and I used it for quite a while when I first started making candles.

As this blend is 90% paraffin wax and 10% stearin it's very easy to make the same blend yourself.
              BUT, as you get more involved in making moulded/pillar candles, you will understand the need to sometimes alter this combination ratio to obtain better burning results.

You can always add more stearin to this blend, but you can't take it out. So if you find a moulded/pillar candle is tunnelling slightly and therefore a softer wax (i.e. less stearin) would burn better, you'd be unable to manage that if you're using this blended wax.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                The simple answer is personal preference.
                Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with this wax at all and I used it for quite a while when I first started making candles.

As this blend is 90% paraffin wax and 10% stearin it's very easy to make the same blend yourself.
                BUT, as you get more involved in making moulded/pillar candles, you will understand the need to sometimes alter this combination ratio to obtain better burning results.

You can always add more stearin to this blend, but you can't take it out. So if you find a moulded/pillar candle is tunnelling slightly and therefore a softer wax (i.e. less stearin) would burn better, you'd be unable to manage that if you're using this blended wax.
                Thank you; concise as always! You're a star.

Comment

Working...
                X