Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

21 hours and counting ...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 21 hours and counting ...

    Jar still going.

    Wick behaving.

    Is this a record???

  • #2
    Originally posted by MarionT View Post
    Jar still going.

    Wick behaving.

    Is this a record???
    Great stuff -told you you'd get there!

    Comment


    • #3
      Congratulations!

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks Gals.

        Just extinguished at 22 hours so I can sleep. Should light again tomorrow by the looks of things which is great. I'd like to be able to claim 20 hours and have customers pleasantly surprised.

        So excited it's ridiculous! (if only I could crack cotton wicks ...)

        Marion

        Comment


        • #5
          I've admitted defeat at 22 hours. There's a good 1 cm of wax left but the height of the sustainer means only charred wick can be seen now. I've tried lighting again 3 times but no luck. I reckon if I'd kept it burning it would have gone for another hour or two so will try and time my next test candle for longer burns.

          I think it's just something else I'll have to add to the handout. This is turning into War & Peace.

          But all in all, a good result. Test burn no 2 starts today!

          Thanks everyon,

          Marion

          Comment


          • #6
            I had a small container on a test burn a while ago and it was doing the same thing (about 1cm of wax left). I must have waited a good 5 hours for something to happen and it just kept on going! Got to a point when I was just hoping for the wick to drown or something just so that I could be satisfied that it had burnt to the end but it wasn't having any of it :P

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LauraShayler View Post
              I had a small container on a test burn a while ago and it was doing the same thing (about 1cm of wax left). I must have waited a good 5 hours for something to happen and it just kept on going! Got to a point when I was just hoping for the wick to drown or something just so that I could be satisfied that it had burnt to the end but it wasn't having any of it :P
              Brilliant! Well done you.

              Comment


              • #8
                How's burn test 2 going?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LauraShayler View Post
                  How's burn test 2 going?
                  Great. I let it burn 6 hours and all fine. Just one niggle. I primed the wood wick this time and I would say more of the wood has gone black. I'm slightly concerned I might have trouble relighting it because I can't see much brown. But I've not long extinguished it so it may look better in a wee while. I have used a much darker wax though so hope it'll look better.

                  I've been looking at Busy Bees website and they mention 2-tone wax as being a feature of a good candle.

                  Will keep you posted! Thanks for asking Laura.

                  Marion

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hehe it seems that it's the age-old disclaimer for those quirky properties of natural wax! It's better than just saying 'one of those things' I guess :P

                    Strange about your wood wick...hopefully once it's all cooled down it'll look a lot better as you say. I must try these mystical wood wicks so I can see what you're all banging on about

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MarionT View Post
                      Great. I let it burn 6 hours and all fine. Just one niggle. I primed the wood wick this time and I would say more of the wood has gone black. I'm slightly concerned I might have trouble relighting it because I can't see much brown. But I've not long extinguished it so it may look better in a wee while. I have used a much darker wax though so hope it'll look better.

                      I've been looking at Busy Bees website and they mention 2-tone wax as being a feature of a good candle.


                      Will keep you posted! Thanks for asking Laura.

                      Marion

                      Marion, I found that too but had no problems re-lighting.
                      Great news that they're burning well.
                      Ix

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                        Marion, I found that too but had no problems re-lighting.
                        Great news that they're burning well.
                        Ix
                        Just returned from being away overnight (a whole evening and night not thinking about wax!) and relit. I took the wick down quite low (unintentionally!) and it's relit no problem. I'd say it's burning more calmly than yesterday. Will see if the melt pool behaves. If this one works ok I'm going to make another 2 - one that a customer has requested, the other to test first. If the test behaves I'll sell the other to the customer who's waiting for it. Fingers and toes firmly crossed!

                        Marion

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have another question, oh experts of Slade Prison:

                          Just reflecting on the fact that I burned 8 differently-wicked jars and all had one problem or another. Could the problems (mainly mushrooming or wicks bending down towards the melt pool) be because I left the original wick too long? I probably left it about a shade under 1 cm.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X