Burning Tonight 3.....The Saga Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning Tonight 3.....The Saga Continues

Well I'm back to burning the 80mm tin that was giving me problems, to sumarise
    1st burn 4 hours Full melt pool achieved.
    2nd burn 4 Hours Full melt pull achieved.
    3rd burn 1 hour 1/2 melt pool achieved
    4th burn 7 hours Full melt pool achieved

In between 3rd and 4th burn I scraped the ledges of wax down ready to re-melt but husband re-lit not knowing of problems and it achieved a full melt pool after 3 hours.

Today its been burning for 4 hours and is tunneling again!
    It's Soy wax, 9% FO with CSN 22 wick.

Help
    Last edited by holehouse; 31-01-2013, 08:24 PM.

I swear ~ ditch those wicks!
    ECO work much better

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
      I swear ~ ditch those wicks!
      ECO work much better
      I know Lou!!
      I was continuing to burn this one to get the burn time. My Eco wicks have arrived and I melted down the other tins to re-wick with Eco, I'll try them later in the week.
      I just don't understand why sometimes CSN works and at others they don't....in the same candle!
      On the up side, I'm also burning 2 of the smaller tins (sons tell me the house smells like a Bordello -how do they know-should I worry?)
      I've wicked both with 1/2 a med wood wick and they are burning beautifully, really pleased with the scent throw and, despite the size of the wick there is still an audible crackle. I'm doing one in stages and power burning the other to see how it behaves...watch this space!
      Isabel

PS I have a box with virtually every size of CSN wicks what do I do with them?!!

Comment

I know, I lost my patience with CSN but ECO are great. Try 12 and 14 ~ 12 leaves a little wax round the edge on the first burn but that goes after the second. 14 gives a full melt pool from the get go.

I have some wood wicks but haven't got round to playing with them yet but I have seen some coloured glasses that I want to try them with for an aromatherapy range I am planning. Should get my tins launched first ~ all the packaging came this week and the photo shoot it next Friday, so getting there!

I have so many wicks and sizes ~ suppose they might come in handy later. If not sell them on ebay!

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
          I know, I lost my patience with CSN but ECO are great. Try 12 and 14 ~ 12 leaves a little wax round the edge on the first burn but that goes after the second. 14 gives a full melt pool from the get go.

I have some wood wicks but haven't got round to playing with them yet but I have seen some coloured glasses that I want to try them with for an aromatherapy range I am planning. Should get my tins launched first ~ all the packaging came this week and the photo shoot it next Friday, so getting there!

I have so many wicks and sizes ~ suppose they might come in handy later. If not sell them on ebay!
          Are your tins the 80mm ones (200ml)

Comment

These ones http://www.tinwaredirect.com/product122355/t0888-.aspx

Comment

Cheers Lou. Good luck with the photo shoot, can't wait to see your web-site, I'm sure it will be superb. Exciting times!

Comment

Just a quick question...are you burning your candles in the same place every time? It's just that when we burn our large containers on a window sill it'll tunnel a bit more than if we burn it on the table in the living room. Might be irrelevant but worth thinking about!

Comment

Originally posted by LauraShayler View Post
                  Just a quick question...are you burning your candles in the same place every time? It's just that when we burn our large containers on a window sill it'll tunnel a bit more than if we burn it on the table in the living room. Might be irrelevant but worth thinking about!
                  Was burning in the fire place in the sitting room until today, now in the dining room....next step the bin!

Comment

It might be worth trying to stick to the same conditions every time you do a test burn just to see if that makes any difference. Obviously it won't be an exact science every time because the temperature of your room and the draughts will vary but it'll be about as consistent as you can get it without getting all OCD :P

We burnt one of our large containers in a freezing cold hall during a farmers' market a few weeks ago and boy did it tunnel! We've now gone up a size of wick just in case anybody decides to burn theirs in a similar environment...god knows who'll have a house that cold but you never know!

It's possible that the changes in environment might have affected the way yours are burning.

Comment

Thanks Laura, thats helpful to know. However, with this particular candle it started it's burn/tunnel/burn loop when it was in the same place. It's onlt today that I've moved it. I don't understand it, it's not even a small shelf it's leaving today, its about 1cm all around.

Confused I am!

Comment

Laura is definitely onto something here. It has much to do with the environment you're burning the candle in.
                        It also has a lot to do with where you keep your candles when they're not in use.

If you keep your candles somewhere cool, then the wax will be cool and therefore take longer to melt than an identical candle kept at room temperature. The container will also be cool and will hold the 'coolth' well so will keep the outer wax cold and harder to melt. All this combined leads to tunnelling more than a room temperature candle will.

So at this time of year a candle kept and burnt on a windowsill will less readily give a full melt pool as one kept and burnt on a coffee table in the middle of a nice warm room.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the candlearium, yet more issues arise! Will it never end?

PS. far less of this hassle with pillar candles :P

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                          Thanks Laura, thats helpful to know. However, with this particular candle it started it's burn/tunnel/burn loop when it was in the same place. It's onlt today that I've moved it. I don't understand it, it's not even a small shelf it's leaving today, its about 1cm all around.

Confused I am!
                          Might seem like a silly question, but are you trimming the wick to the same length each time?

Just wondering if there's any correlation between the tunnelling burns and the wick being shorter than the non-tunnelling burns. Longer wick = Bigger flame = More heat radiation = Bigger melt pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                            The container will also be cool and will hold the 'coolth' well so will keep the outer wax cold and harder to melt.
                            Coolth...brilliant. That's better than bagsy.

Comment

I must admit I pinched the word "coolth" from someone else (Dr. Karl - An Aussie Dr that does a science phone in show on the radio). But I do like it

And whilst we're on the subject of "bagsy", I'm not sure my interpretation of it is the same as was mentioned on here before. To me bagsy is like "dibs". Or like saying "I called it first so I'm not it!".

Comment

Working...
                              X