Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remelt wax melts?

Hi guys

I have made half a pound of wax melts ( 10% ) fo. The problem is i think i have been doing it wrong so if i remelt them*how would i go about scenting them this time 12% and weighing fo in grams because if i add too much wont the wax go funny?

The wax im using is soy

Thanks
    Steve

Hi Steve

Why do you think you've been doing it wrong, what exactly have you been doing and what do you hope to achieve? It might be a little difficult to know how much fragrance oil is in the melts if you add more. It is likely to be a trial and error situation this time but at least you will learn loads.

I am not the best person to answer really as I don't use soya but someone will be along soon I am sure who will help you.

val

Comment

Hi Steve,

I've not tried melts yet, only tealights and jars (an ongoing nightmare!) but I do use soy exclusively.

I use 9% FO and find that gives a fantastic hot throw but, as I said, I don't know about melts so maybe more than that is required.

I have concerns about heating the FO up again but not sure why. It was added at a hot temperature so I can't think why it wouldn't be a good idea so maybe one of the more scientific bods here could advise on that.

But I do wonder if you could use the wax in tealights? They are normally fairly straightforward and I've put some of my abandoned jars' wax into tealights.

Marion

Comment

Originally posted by whocky View Post
        Hi guysI have made half a pound of wax melts ( 10% ) fo. The problem is i think i have been doing it wrong so if i remelt them*how would i go about scenting them this time 12% and weighing fo in grams because if i add too much wont the wax go funny?The wax im using is soyThanksSteve
        Hi Steve,I too am interested to hear how you think you've done them wrong...Sadly, there is no real way of being able to know how much additional FO to add and get a perfect 12%. There is no problem remelting the wax and trying again, but during the heating process you will lose some of the FO through evaporation. Adding 2% more to the original wax weight would get you somewhere near it but it wont be perfect. As suggested, with such a small amount of wax it may be worthwhile turning it into something practical like tealights and starting over with fresh wax. Not because the wax is no good now, but because you wont get an exact percentage of FO by adding more. Just for the record, I've made melts with soy and paraffin waxes and never use more than 10% FO load in either to get great results. S.

Comment

Hi Steve
          Just wanted to echo what the others have said. I make Soy wax melts with between 6-9% FO and they are very highly scented when they burn. As Marion and Spencer said it may be better to turn them into t-lights rather than try to alter them.
          Isabel

Comment

Working...
          X