Valentines Candles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valentines Candles.

"Mum, can you make me a candle for Ruth for Valentines, one in a jar with a red heart in it.?"
    So thats's what I was asked, and because I'm mad I gave it a go today. While doing it second-born son comes in.
    "Oh cool! Can you make one for Lauren while your at it?"
    Anyway here are the prototypes to try.
    They're made in paraffin wax, both jars are medium wood wicked, one wick cut down slighty smaller than the other square container has 3x22c.
    Problems-
    Need to draw lines across the jar to keep heart straight.
    I would have been happier if I could have got sharper edges to the heart..is that possible?
    I made the hearts last night and today blasted the glass with a heat gun then held the heart in place until it stuck. I poured the white at 60.
    Anyone any ideas how to improve them?
    These were made as testers so I'll try them in a few days. However, Cupid will be shooting his arrow all too soon so I'll have to get my skates on!!

IsabelP1000041.JPGP1000046.JPG

Oh they look cute! Well done x

Comment

Omigosh they are gorgeous! Well done Isabel - they are fantastic. Very envious.

Marion

Comment

Thanks Marion and Lou. Just need to work out how to make the edges sharper and also starighten them up a bit.
        I used a new SP Fo - tangerine, grapefruit and lime explosion......mmm lovely, the cold throw is amazing lets hope it's as good when I burn them.

Ix

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
          Thanks Marion and Lou. Just need to work out how to make the edges sharper and also starighten them up a bit.
          I used a new SP Fo - tangerine, grapefruit and lime explosion......mmm lovely, the cold throw is amazing lets hope it's as good when I burn them.

Ix
          I have that one - it's lovely. My favourites just now are Pomegranate Cider, Pink Lemonade. I've also had a request for more Ginger & Lime but have used all of it so need to order more. I wasn't that impressed - it just smelled of lime to me but the customer who bought them ended up giving some away to her friends when they smelled them so is after more. I think SP are hard to beat.

Your candles are beautiful Isabel. I'm so impressed.

Comment

Are we talking Sensory Perfection or Scent Perfique?
            Those scents sounds fabulous! I have just been asked for a ginger candle and I have to admit with lime sounds lush.

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
              Are we talking Sensory Perfection or Scent Perfique?
              Those scents sounds fabulous! I have just been asked for a ginger candle and I have to admit with lime sounds lush.
              Scent Perfique, Lou.

Comment

Well done Isabel. Very impressive!
                Nice to see you trying something a bit technical

As for sharper edges on the hearts... what are you using to cut them out?

I have made similar candles in the past and have plastic cutters that have a blunt cutting edge and metal ones that have a very sharp cutting edge. The metal ones work far better as they don't crush the wax as you're cutting through it.

A little bit of testing is needed to get the timing right for cutting. Far too soon and you get a poorly defined shape. Just a little too soon and you'll get a set layer on the top and bottom of the wax sheet, with a soft middle layer, that when you cut through will separate at the edges and splay out. Too late and you'll be melting it all back down and trying again.

I make these cutouts by pouring the wax into a smallish non stick baking tray and waiting until you can just make a dent in the wax with a gentle push of your fingertip. Then use sharp edged cutters to push through the wax.

One last tip is to make the cutouts a little higher melting temperature than your main wax (overpour). This can be accomplished by adding a little stearin (for paraffin wax only) to the wax for the hearts. All it means is, when you pour your main wax it will be less likely to melt the cutout you've already got in the container and giving it fuzzy edges.

Not much more I can add other than that. It's yet another case of practice practice practice..

Comment

Thanks!
                  Have you tried the dye chips from there?

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
                    Thanks!
                    Have you tried the dye chips from there?
                    I've bought some and only used part of one chip in a test. I think they're fine. No noticeable difference from any other dye I've used so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                      Well done Isabel. Very impressive!
                      Nice to see you trying something a bit technical

As for sharper edges on the hearts... what are you using to cut them out?

I have made similar candles in the past and have plastic cutters that have a blunt cutting edge and metal ones that have a very sharp cutting edge. The metal ones work far better as they don't crush the wax as you're cutting through it.

A little bit of testing is needed to get the timing right for cutting. Far too soon and you get a poorly defined shape. Just a little too soon and you'll get a set layer on the top and bottom of the wax sheet, with a soft middle layer, that when you cut through will separate at the edges and splay out. Too late and you'll be melting it all back down and trying again.

I make these cutouts by pouring the wax into a smallish non stick baking tray and waiting until you can just make a dent in the wax with a gentle push of your fingertip. Then use sharp edged cutters to push through the wax.

One last tip is to make the cutouts a little higher melting temperature than your main wax (overpour). This can be accomplished by adding a little stearin (for paraffin wax only) to the wax for the hearts. All it means is, when you pour your main wax it will be less likely to melt the cutout you've already got in the container and giving it fuzzy edges.

Not much more I can add other than that. It's yet another case of practice practice practice..
                      Hi Spencer.
                      Great info as usual.
                      I poured into a parchment lined baking tray then waited until the wax had a nice sheen and felt spongey. I used a metal pastry cutter. I think I maybe made the hearts a little too thick they're probably about 4-5mm, maybe if they were thinner they would be crisper.
                      Would adding stearin cause the dye to lighten or go creamy? I'm still struggling to get that deep blood-red colour I want. How much stearin is "a little"?
                      Any tips on how to attach to the glass? I spent ages scraping drips of wax from the glass before adding the over-pour.

All suggestions welcome!
                      Just have to hope they burn OK because I really do not intend making a dozen until I get it right, I'd be far cheaper giving my son the £12.99 he said it would cost to buy one!!!

Isabel

Comment

They look great Isabel.... no advice from me I am clueless

and impressed

Comment

Originally posted by sheddie View Post
                          They look great Isabel.... no advice from me I am clueless

and impressed
                          Thanks Val, they're ok for testers but could do better...story of my life!
                          I suspect they may get a bit messy when they burn but nothing I can do about that!
                          No sign of the wood wicks yet.....wish they would hurry up!

Ix

Comment

Just think Isabel if the wood wicks turned up you would be distracted from getting these right and they look fab and I am sure losts of people would love to buy them....at any time of the year

Comment

Burning one of the heart jars with cotton wick. 2hours into burn and I've almost got a full melt pool with great scent throw---woo-hoo
                              Dare I say it....no I won't bother pride and falls etc!!

Isabel

Comment

Working...
                              X