uses for tea light wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uses for tea light wax?

Hello - question from a beginner so please bear with me! I did try to search for an answer but couldn't find one.

So, I recently took a load (about 2 carrier bags full) of half used tealights that were destined for the bin. I re-melted them into candles using toilet rolls as molds and a fairly heavy wick which I got from ebay, as I had used these methods to sucessfully make some beeswax candles (from some beeswax that I found clearing out an old shed).

but as you know (and I now know!), the tea light wax melts too easily and can't be used to make stand alone candles... or can it?
    so my question, what do I do now with the tea light wax?

I have the option of jar candles (hard to relight when the wick burns down) or maybe bigger tea lights? using the bottom of a tin can?

or is there a way to thicken up the tea light wax somehow?
    thanks for any help candle sages! all your work is beautiful by the way!

Anthony

Hi Anthony

I'm a relative newcomer and doubtless the "old lags" will be along soon to correct me but my understanding is that most types of wax come in either Container Blend (for jars, tealights) or Pillar Blend (for candles which don't need a container).

Jars come in all shapes and sizes but if yours are too tall and narrow, what about buying some tins? They tend to be short and fat so trimming the wick is quite easy.

The only niggle is getting the right wick. If you're only doing this for your own use you don't have to be so fussy but if you are doing it to sell then there's a lot more to it.

Another popular option these days is filling old teacups.

Whatever you do, you will have to experiment with wicks as these can be tricky to get right. But do post your experiences here and you'll be deluged with helpful replies. The forum is great.

HTH

Marion

Comment

Hi Anthony,

I presume I'm one of the "old lags" Marion was referring to!
      If the wax you have is paraffin then try adding some stearin. Somewhere between 5-10% should get you going with a decent pillar candle.

I've not made a toilet roll tube candle in years! Forgot all about those!

Comment

thanks for the information! I am going to try hard to think of some interesting and easy available containers for the candles and if not get some stearin from ebay! I will let you know how it goes. thanks again, Anthony

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
        Hi Anthony,

If the wax you have is paraffin then try adding some stearin. Somewhere between 5-10% should get you going with a decent pillar candle.

Comment

Yup. If the cap fits ...

I see you as being a bit like Grouty in Porridge. Genial Spency ... until someone forgets to prime their wicks! Now who's our Fletch & Godber???

Hi Anthony,

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
            Yup. If the cap fits ...

I see you as being a bit like Grouty in Porridge. Genial Spency ... until someone forgets to prime their wicks! Now who's our Fletch & Godber???
            Well I wont complain at being compared with Grouty! He was always my favourite

Comment

Yup. If the cap fits ...

I'm more concerned about who Mr MacKay is going to be....know any dictatorial Scots?

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                I'm more concerned about who Mr MacKay is going to be....know any dictatorial Scots?
                Ooooh, one or two....

Comment

Ooooh, one or two....
                  Meaning??? (dangerous tone)

(oops - forgot you were Grouty - Sorry Grouty)

Comment

Ooooh, one or two....

Thin ice grouty, thin ice!
                    Loving the avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                      Thin ice grouty, thin ice!
                      Loving the avatar!

I love the way you two instantly assumed I meant you...

Thanks, it's a great avatar. Just hope people don't think that's actually me!
                      (I'm not quite so grey haired)

Comment

Has it all gone then?

Comment

Has it all gone then?
                          Has what all gone?

Comment

Oooooh... punching below the belt, Marion! BELOW THE BELT!

But you're not far from correct!!

Comment

Oooooh... punching below the belt, Marion! BELOW THE BELT!

But you're not far from correct!!
                              I'm saying nothing!

Comment

Working...
                              X