Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I rescue a drowning wick?

A new problem tonight!

I'm testing 2 identical jars (apart from the wicks which are both wood - one small, the other medium with a sliver cut off).

Prior to the 2nd burning I nipped a little bit of the black off each wick. I've obviously taken too much off the medium one and it's drowning. Can I do anything about this?

Marion

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
    A new problem tonight!

I'm testing 2 identical jars (apart from the wicks which are both wood - one small, the other medium with a sliver cut off).

Prior to the 2nd burning I nipped a little bit of the black off each wick. I've obviously taken too much off the medium one and it's drowning. Can I do anything about this?

Marion
    Marion
    I did this in a test burn. What I did was gently, with a pair of pliers, eased the wick out a little. Just had to remeber not to burn the candle right down because the wick may not have been attached to the sustainer.
    Ix

Comment

Or, using something to protect your hands in case the jar is hot, pour out a little of the melted wax. Just enough so it's down to the right level for the wick length.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
        Or, using something to protect your hands in case the jar is hot, pour out a little of the melted wax. Just enough so it's down to the right level for the wick length.
        Now why didn't I think of that when it happened to me....much easier!

Ix

Comment

Thanks both. I was hoping it would rescue itself but doesn't look like it so will try something! On the positive side, the other wick is behaving, if burning quite fast. I may have to settle for fewer burn hours and a pretty wick!

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
            Now why didn't I think of that when it happened to me....much easier!

Ix
            Well you see, when you get to the stage that you've fluffed up as many candles as I have, these ideas will just come naturally to you.

Comment

Done! The flame was so poor there was hardly any heat in the jar at all. Anyway, wax poured out and now it's taken off like a Roman Candle.

Thanks again,

Marion

Comment

Well you see, when you get to the stage that you've fluffed up as many candles as I have, these ideas will just come naturally to you.
                Spencer, believe me, if I lit all the malfunctioning candles I have, global warming would be advanced by about 10 years!

Comment

Done! The flame was so poor there was hardly any heat in the jar at all. Anyway, wax poured out and now it's taken off like a Roman Candle.

Thanks again,

Marion
                  Maybe you poured a little too much out...

What's your expected burn time with the wick that's working well?

Comment

Maybe you poured a little too much out...

What's your expected burn time with the wick that's working well?
                    It's a bit early to say but could be as little as 20 hours, looking at it. I was hoping for close to 30 but will have to wait and see.

I may well have poured too much out - will probably end up repeating the test. (sigh)

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                      Spencer, believe me, if I lit all the malfunctioning candles I have, global warming would be advanced by about 10 years!
                      I'll get the fire brigade on standby....

Comment

It's a bit early to say but could be as little as 20 hours, looking at it. I was hoping for close to 30 but will have to wait and see.

I may well have poured too much out - will probably end up repeating the test. (sigh)
                        How much wick does each jar hold?

oh, and if you still have the wax you poured out, throw a little bit back in. Even if it's cooled it will melt down quickly and bring the melt pool back up.

Comment

How much wick does each jar hold?

oh, and if you still have the wax you poured out, throw a little bit back in. Even if it's cooled it will melt down quickly and bring the melt pool back up.
                          Thanks Spencer - unfortunately the wax I poured out has gone into my leftovers tub. However, not a problem because ... IT LOOKS LIKE IT'S TRYING TO DROWN ITSELF AGAIN. Having flared up briefly, it's now settled into sulky silence. I'm going to give it a good talking to. Watch this space ...

The capacity of the jars is 171g, made up of 157g soy wax and 14g FO. Is there a formula for burn time?

Think I'll make some tealights to cheer myself up. At least I can do THAT! (oh better not tempt fate ...)
                          Last edited by MarionT; 28-01-2013, 09:16 PM. Reason: Can't count!

Comment

No formula as such to predict burn time. Too many variables for that.
                            The spreadsheet has a burn time calculator though. Tried that?

Comment

The capacity of the jars is 171g, made up of 157g soy wax and 14g FO. Is there a formula for burn time?
                              I use Spencers spread sheet to calculate burn times. I've found it to be pretty accurate.
                              Interestingly Skye Candles website shows their votive glasses holding 180g soy wax with burn time of 20 hrs.....maybe they're over wicked!
                              Ix

Comment

Working...
                              X