Glaze for carved candles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glaze for carved candles?

I was just wondering if anyone uses glaze to finish off their candles, I have seen on a previous thread that chinaglaze could be used but I was wondering if there was anything better or easier to get hold of,thanks very much Rob

Hi Rob and welcome

You can buy various spray glazes for candles and some gloss coatings that you dip the cooled candle into to coat them.

Personally I don't like either. The sprays are expensive, usually recommended to use them outside only and can prove a little patchy, not to mention the lengthy drying times on some. The dip version involves having a large vat of the stuff melted to coat the candles properly and this can be a painful process if you're only glossing a small number of candles.

I find either method makes the candles look plastic and somehow tacky. But that's my personal opinion.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I just find that once iv carved the candle it looses colour and its also very brittle and easily breaks.

Comment

Hi Rob. Are you making those dip and carve candles?

Now there's a talent! I tried it and failed spectacularly!

Most of those I've seen have been coated in some way with glaze, so presumably it's a necessary step.

Good luck finding a glaze that works for you and would love to see some of your creations!

Comment

yea its dip and carve, iv liteally done about 10 but havnt done more due to not having a glaze, iv tried to upload a pic, did it work?
          Attached Files

Comment

They look far better than my attempts!

Mine looked like badly peeled vegetables!

Comment

They look great Rob, that takes some skill to carve those

Comment

Working...
              X