Temperature Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature Guide

I've always added my fragrance oil at 180f, just been reading on NGI (who supply my wax via 4C)

They say start pouring at 155f and add scent just before pouring at no less no 145f

So who's right? NGI who make the wax or other candle supply websites who say 180f (which I have been doing)

Confused

This applys to PB soy wax and the XceL, CB135 and advanced read about a lower temperature than 180f aswell

We first tried adding just before pouring, we'd seen that on the NGI site and on various posts here and US forums. However when my mother decided she couldn't smell anything, I started looking around as to why that might be and found that a lot of people add at a higher temp and stir stir stir to let it bind. So we tried that and she noticed an improvement. Now this isn't the best experiment because she often claims she can't smell anything when other people can! And I also think there is no hard and fast rule as everyone seems to do what suits them best. I have to say I'm more inclined to believe the science of binding the FO with the wax by adding at a higher temp but I'm also aware that too high a temp has been said to cause FO to burn off.

Is there proof of either of these things? I'm not too sure!

Comment

Thanks for replying Laura.... See I also read that to bind the scent with the wax, stir for 2 mins... But no mention of the 180c... Maybe it's the stirring that binds and not the heat. oh I don't know there's so much conflicting stuff online.. I think I will stick to what I've been doing

Comment

You probably don't want to hear this but I think it's all personal choice, as Laura said. I get nervous if I stir my FO for too long as it can disappear very quickly. I add mine at 83C but I use Paraffin. I stir rapidly for no more than about a min, and then pour quickly as adding the FO often reduces the temperature. If it's cooled to much I'll momentarily put it back on the heat. If I start to smell a lot of FO I know it's burning off and pour quick! I'm not sure it's an exact science, as each FO is different

Comment

Originally posted by Wicky View Post
          They say start pouring at 155f and add scent just before pouring at no less no 145f
          Everything I've read on the subject seems to agree with this lower temp for adding fragrance and that is what I have been doing and it seems to work well. Also I stir for about 3 mins as I read that was necessary somewhere too.

Comment

I use soy wax, WEDO ECO wicks and add FO at 82C and pour at 45C.
            HTH

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
              I use soy wax, WEDO ECO wicks and add FO at 82C and pour at 45C.
              HTH
              I use roughly the same temperatures as this. I stir it after adding, only for about 15 seconds, just to make sure it's mixed thoroughly. I leave it to cool but stir maybe 2 or 3 times more just to make sure it's still blended. I also think this helps cool it more quickly. HTH,

Marion

Comment

Working...
              X