Time to replenish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to replenish

So we're nearly out of EcoSoya XL and I'm toying with trying something else.
    We've had no major failures with XL - a little bit of frosting from time to time, sometimes a little pulling away from the glass (though I'm blaming the cold for that more than anything) but I've read lots of snippets of people mixing their soy or changing to something completely different because XL didn't work for them.

What problems, if any, has anyone else had with XL and what did you change to? I just want to hear any successes and failures so I can make a more educated decision :P

Arrrrr market research :-) can't help sorry Laura but I'll be very interests to see the many replies I'm sure you're going to get. Best of luck.

Comment

Hi Laura
      When I started out I used Soy XL and no matter what I did I just couldn't get a hot scent throw. I now believe that was because I was adding the FO at too low a temp and it wasn't binding well enough with the melted wax. I became really frustrated and disillusioned and started mixing my waxes. I eventually got the elusive hot throw with a combo of 75% XL and 25% 135. It was around about then I joined the forum and had access to all the wonderful advice available. I started adding my FO at a higher temp and bingo - hot scent throw. Not wanting to upset the apple cart I kept going with my blended wax. However, over the past 2 weeks I've gone back to just XL and still have a great scent throw, what I have noticed though is that I have more visible frosting on the candles I put dye in. So, now I wonder if the 135/XL combo reduces frosting. I'm nowhere near experienced enough to know if that is the case it's merely my observation.
      I've also been trying out paraffin wax and I think I'm leaning more towards it than soy. I like the idea of using soy but seem to get more consistent results and fewer wet spots using paraffin. I'm about to place a bigger order for wax so need to make up my mind soon!

Not sure that this helps!

Isabel

Comment

That's a great help actually Isabel! I've seen blending methods pop up on a few threads here during my searches so I think you've confirmed was I was half planning all along - grab our usual bag of XL and a small bag of 135 to mix.
        We only get regular frosting on a couple of our candles so I'm inclined to think it's the dye more than the wax but if blending with a bit of 135 even reduces it slightly, I'll be inclined to use it more often!

Comment

I use 135 CB exclusively and no problems pulling away. Occasionally you do see wet spots and the odd bit of frosting (often on the underside of the candle) but it's barely noticeable. I like it and don't think I'd use anything else for containers. But this is the only type I've tried.

Marion

Comment

Originally posted by LauraShayler View Post
            That's a great help actually Isabel! I've seen blending methods pop up on a few threads here during my searches so I think you've confirmed was I was half planning all along - grab our usual bag of XL and a small bag of 135 to mix.
            We only get regular frosting on a couple of our candles so I'm inclined to think it's the dye more than the wax but if blending with a bit of 135 even reduces it slightly, I'll be inclined to use it more often!
            I think you could be right about the dye playing a part, the deeper the colour the more obvious the frosting.
            Does anyone know what frosting actually is? Is it an imperfection in the wax, poor mixing technique or just natural for soy?

Isabel

Comment

The most common responses I've had are that it's just 'one of those things' with soy. A few US soy chandlers have said that people actually look for those imperfections when buying soy candles so that they know they're genuine.

Comment

Working...
              X