Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing tonight 2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Testing tonight 2

    Well I'm back in testing mode. I thought I would test the large tins and so far have done two today.
    First up is Soy XL with 9% Baby Powder and CSN22 wick- I got a full melt pool after 2 hours and great scent throw however I think Lou was spot on when she said a CSN18 is better. I think this is slightly over-wicked and could come down a size.
    Second was XL with 9% White Narcissus and a large wood wick. Again a full melt pool in just under 2 hrs (the tins are approx 3"). The wick is definitely too big but going by the melt pool in a previous test with a Med wick, I think that may be too small. The scent throw with the WN and the wood wick was REALLY powerful but wonder if that was because it was burning the wax too fast.
    I know I can trim down the size of the large wicks but don't know how cosistent this would be. I've ordered wooden wicks from Unity and also ordered some of their single ply wood wicks (they were too cheap not to) so here's my question.
    Theoretically, if I use a single ply wick it should create a smaller melt pool than an double ply wick since the double ply would get hotter, or am I way off base with that assumption?
    Has anyone any experience of single ply wicks? I would really rather be able to use a standard size rather than footer about trying to trim large wicks down.

    Any advice gratefully received!!




    Isabel

  • #2
    I don't know, Isabel, but would be interested in the answer.

    Can I ask, is there a CSN 20? I was only able to order 18 and 22 (but then I was looking for primed with sustainer which might cut down choice)

    Marion

    (away to make up more boxes of tealights and may do a batch of black cherry & gluwein later)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MarionT View Post
      I don't know, Isabel, but would be interested in the answer.

      Can I ask, is there a CSN 20? I was only able to order 18 and 22 (but then I was looking for primed with sustainer which might cut down choice)

      Marion

      (away to make up more boxes of tealights and may do a batch of black cherry & gluwein later)
      I wondered that too but no-onw seems to stock it if there is
      I found out today that Scent Perfique was at a Trade Fair at the SECC over the weekend until Monday. They apparently had a lot of their stock discounted!!!
      As I said in a previous post....at the coos tail again!

      Isabel

      Comment


      • #4
        Fabulous ~ enjoy testing.
        Yeah, CSN22 is the one I think but I didn't get a full melt pool with some scents with that. So have reverted back to WEDO ECO ~ scent throw is fab ~ especially if you leave to cure a bit longer. Just wicked some tin with 10, 12 and 14 to make sure I have the right one. 14 gives melt pool first burn, 12 and 10 don't give a full pool first burn leaving a few mms but that melts on the second burn.
        x

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
          Fabulous ~ enjoy testing.
          Yeah, CSN22 is the one I think but I didn't get a full melt pool with some scents with that. So have reverted back to WEDO ECO ~ scent throw is fab ~ especially if you leave to cure a bit longer. Just wicked some tin with 10, 12 and 14 to make sure I have the right one. 14 gives melt pool first burn, 12 and 10 don't give a full pool first burn leaving a few mms but that melts on the second burn.
          x

          Did you think the CSN 18 was to small Lou?
          I've ordered some more Eco wicks -just waiting for them to arrive.

          IX

          Comment


          • #6
            Can you find out who organised the trade fair so we can be on the mailing list for future? Hmph! Mind you, the weather's not been ideal for travelling (for me).



            Originally posted by holehouse View Post
            I wondered that too but no-onw seems to stock it if there is
            I found out today that Scent Perfique was at a Trade Fair at the SECC over the weekend until Monday. They apparently had a lot of their stock discounted!!!
            As I said in a previous post....at the coos tail again!

            Isabel

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah, I think so. Melted them all down and replaced wicks today. Can't find notes
              I am sticking with ECO ~ I like 14 best but like I say 10 and 12 give a full melt on the second burn, can't decide if thats cool or not!
              x

              Comment


              • #8
                Bloody hell Isabel you never stop????!!!! :-) be delighted to see the results. Good luck x

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Robsmithimages View Post
                  Bloody hell Isabel you never stop????!!!! :-) be delighted to see the results. Good luck x
                  The struggle to find perfection is a long one.....sigh!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MarionT View Post
                    Can you find out who organised the trade fair so we can be on the mailing list for future? Hmph! Mind you, the weather's not been ideal for travelling (for me).

                    I've just checked SP's web site - did you know they were based in Ellon in Aberdeenshire!?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                      I've just checked SP's web site - did you know they were based in Ellon in Aberdeenshire!?
                      WHIT???? Oh hold on ... that rings a vague bell ... (note to self: pay attention!)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Right I'm not playing anymore!
                        Having got a full melt pool in the large tins with the CSN 22 wicks on x2 3 hour burns I thought I'd go for Harribo's "Power burn"
                        Well almost 3 hours into it I'm getting Marions roman bath look - steps from the sides. Why does this happen? If the wick is big enough to achieve a full melt pool over 6 hours burning why should it suddenly stop? I know lack of oxygen can cause this but would that be the case in straight sided <3" tin? I'm waiting for some Eco wicks to arrive to try them but I really thought I'd cracked the big tin first time
                        A couple more questions and I'd be grateful for as many and varied answers as you care to give.

                        Why is candlemaking so difficult?
                        Why do people who have never tried it think it's a doddle? (including me!)
                        Why didn't I just stick to cooking?
                        Is there ever a light at the end of the tunnel? (pun intended)
                        Why can't I just be happy with Ikeas 95p jars?

                        I think I've caught a bit of Marions melancholy but it's just so frustrating!!!!



                        Fed-up with chandling

                        GlasgowX

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hi Isabel.

                          There was a saying that I used to use whilst teaching self defence to the British army (told you many talents!!!!!!!). Well anyway this is about you and not me. The saying we used was said by Master Gichin Funakoshi, he said "to seek safety, first one must go to the heart of danger"

                          It sounds like you are at this position now. Honestly this is a huge turning point for you, you will look back at this point in the future as a pivotal, important moment of clarity.

                          Well done you for getting this far, work backwards, do some candles that you know you can do, make them the best candles in the world and move forward.

                          Best of luck x

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Oh boy Isabel you have my wholehearted support and understanding in this, it is sooo frustrating and scary sometimes. We are with you, hang on in there, you are not alone...... seriously

                            This is one of the hardest crafts I have ever done and hopefully will eventually be one of the most rewarding ..... as Rob says hang on in there you are making serious progress, it just doesn't seem like that right now

                            valx

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                              Right I'm not playing anymore!
                              Having got a full melt pool in the large tins with the CSN 22 wicks on x2 3 hour burns I thought I'd go for Harribo's "Power burn"
                              Well almost 3 hours into it I'm getting Marions roman bath look - steps from the sides. Why does this happen? If the wick is big enough to achieve a full melt pool over 6 hours burning why should it suddenly stop? I know lack of oxygen can cause this but would that be the case in straight sided <3" tin? I'm waiting for some Eco wicks to arrive to try them but I really thought I'd cracked the big tin first time
                              A couple more questions and I'd be grateful for as many and varied answers as you care to give.

                              Why is candlemaking so difficult?
                              Why do people who have never tried it think it's a doddle? (including me!)
                              Why didn't I just stick to cooking?
                              Is there ever a light at the end of the tunnel? (pun intended)
                              Why can't I just be happy with Ikeas 95p jars?

                              I think I've caught a bit of Marions melancholy but it's just so frustrating!!!!



                              Fed-up with chandling

                              GlasgowX
                              Isabel was this a different fragrance oil you was testing to your first tins? What fragrance oil was it? What wax? How much fragrance? Any dye? What diameter is your tin?
                              Last edited by Harribo; 27-01-2013, 12:45 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X