Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jars and jars and jars ...

Test night 3.JPG

Don't say I'm not trying. Burning 8 jars tonight - all different wicks.

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]34787[/ATTACH]

Don't say I'm not trying. Burning 8 jars tonight - all different wicks.
    Wow Marion, thats some amount of testing! Surely out of all of that there will be a wick you're happy with!
    I'm impressed by your approach, clearly I'm far too stingy to do it that way, I usually make up two and if I'm not happy with the wicks plonk them in the double boiler whip the rogue wick out and stick a new one in and try again!!
    Hope it works!

isabel

PS I'm sure your house must smell lovely!

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
      Wow Marion, thats some amount of testing! Surely out of all of that there will be a wick you're happy with!
      I'm impressed by your approach, clearly I'm far too stingy to do it that way, I usually make up two and if I'm not happy with the wicks plonk them in the double boiler whip the rogue wick out and stick a new one in and try again!!
      Hope it works!

isabel

PS I'm sure your house must smell lovely!
      Yes, Isabel, that would be the sensible way to do it! I'm impatient though with so many tests that haven't gone well so I don't want to wait for the candle to cure then test and find it's gone wrong. And so it starts again! Also, I want to burn the ones which look possible successes right to the bottom so I know how many hours they'll burn for. I'm aiming for 30+ but may have to revise that.

The house, by the way, is almost unbearably fragrant! After tonight I'm moving them all to separate rooms so I can check the hot throw. It's going to be busy!

Marion

Comment

With eight burning at once I'd imagine the whole street is fragrant
        Please come see me on:

Facebook
        Twitter

Or on my blog Candles From Home

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Rose View Post
          With eight burning at once I'd imagine the whole street is fragrant
          Yup! I can't lie to you - they can smell it in the next town.

Comment

That's one way of advertising!
            Please come see me on:

Facebook
            Twitter

Or on my blog Candles From Home

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Rose View Post
              That's one way of advertising!
              Chortle. (I know my spells!)

Marion x

Comment

How did the ECO 10 go?!!

Comment

Originally posted by LauraShayler View Post
                  How did the ECO 10 go?!!
                  Eco 6, 8 & 10 all burned well. Too early to say which is best as I only had about 3 hours last night but full melt pool from all. My only niggle is the wick has turned over a bit like a shepherd's crook and is pointing downwards. I'll trim before relighting but wonder if this is usual? The Y jar candle I was given had a wick that remained upright, albeit I assume it was paraffin.

Thanks for asking,

Marion

Comment

Eco 6, 8 & 10 all burned well. Too early to say which is best as I only had about 3 hours last night but full melt pool from all. My only niggle is the wick has turned over a bit like a shepherd's crook and is pointing downwards. I'll trim before relighting but wonder if this is usual? The Y jar candle I was given had a wick that remained upright, albeit I assume it was paraffin.

Thanks for asking,

Marion
                    Hi Marion,
                    I think its because the Eco wicks are self trimming so they do bend at the tip, cored wicks tend to stand up straighter than the self trimming ones. That being said I do still have to trim the self trimming wicks especially in the larger sized wick.

Comment

Originally posted by Harribo View Post
                      Hi Marion,
                      I think its because the Eco wicks are self trimming so they do bend at the tip, cored wicks tend to stand up straighter than the self trimming ones. That being said I do still have to trim the self trimming wicks especially in the larger sized wick.
                      Thanks for that, Harribo. So ... beginning to wonder, is it worth my pursuing the drive for a self-trimming wick with soy wax?

Marion

Comment

Thanks for that, Harribo. So ... beginning to wonder, is it worth my pursuing the drive for a self-trimming wick with soy wax?

Marion
                        Well this is from my own personal experience but as yet I have never had a candle where I have not had to trim the wick, shop bought or handmade, even with these supposed self trimming wicks x

Comment

Originally posted by Harribo View Post
                          Well this is from my own personal experience but as yet I have never had a candle that I have not had to trim the wick, shop bought or handmade, even with these supposed self trimming wicks x
                          That's really helpful. I've only had one shop-bought jar candle ever (I always bought pillars) and I have to say it self-trimmed which REALLY disappointed me! It was a Yankee too so I thought I'd better try and match that. But if it's so hard to do I'll just add trimming to my instructions.

Marion

Comment

That's really helpful. I've only had one shop-bought jar candle ever (I always bought pillars) and I have to say it self-trimmed which REALLY disappointed me! It was a Yankee too so I thought I'd better try and match that. But if it's so hard to do I'll just add trimming to my instructions.

Marion
                            That's strange as all the Yankee ones I have had have always needed a trim, they usually get massive shrooms and if you don't trim they would smoke. I always thought Yankee used a cored wick which are not self trimming but I might be wrong about that .

Comment

Yeah that often happens with ours - I'm not sure that a self trimming wick actually exists Or at least maybe the shepherds crook look is the best alternative! I always cut that back when I relight anyway though I'm sure I don't need to unless I don't want pool debris which, safety aside, is not a good look

Comment

Working...
                              X