Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wax melts but why the colour?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wax melts but why the colour?

    Hi all

    We have made some strawberry cheesecake scented melts and we have left them more than 30 hours before we have took them out of the mold. Now the melts are pink and looked perfect until we took them out of the mould and the bottom of the melt has white dots all over. Pic below:

    20130121_155258.png

    Why is this? I will add that we did some test runs with white soy wax just to see how many melts we got from a pound of wax, do you think this why it has caused this? although we washed the moulds out properly.

    We are using, soy wax.

    Hope someone can help.

    Thanks
    Steve

  • #2
    I removed my wax melts from the mould as soon as they were cooled.
    Did the melts leave a white dusting in the mould that is still there after washing? Mine did this and not sure why. I haven't made any more melts in case this affects the other melts making them look frosted.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Steve,

      Hard to tell because the picture comes up very small, but I think this is frosting. You often get that with soy when using dye and there's not much you can do about it really. It's just part of the joys of that particular wax.

      On a side note, did you leave them in the moulds for 30 hours for any reason or that's just when you got around to taking them out?

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi guys

        I left them in that long just because i thought they needed to be in that long with the drying.

        How long from pouring into mould to taking them out?

        Also is there a reason for the frosting and how can i avoid it?

        Im loving the smell from it im just working out bow long they will last.

        Will upload new photo when i get home from work tonight.

        Thanks
        Steve

        Comment


        • #5
          You should be able to demould them much sooner than that. With mould similar to the sizes you're using there, I can get 6 - 8 batches out of the same mould in a couple of hours, but I have the luxury of a fridge in my candle making room which helps speed things up. (This is making the assumption that you're using silicone moulds for these)

          You can test if they're ready to demould my pushing the mould from underneath on one of the middle cavities. The middle ones are the last to cool and if there is no 'give' in those ones then the whole lot are ready to come out. Even at room temperature this shouldn't take much more than half an hour to set enough to demould without deforming them. Although if your room is particularly warm it might take a little longer.

          Frosting is just a characteristic of soy (well some soy anyway). It can be frustrating and you could spend many many hours trying to avoid it, but I think resigning yourself to the fact it's going to happen regardless is the best course of action.

          There are far more experienced soy users on here than me that I'm sure will come forward with tips to avoid it as much as possible.

          As for how long melts last. A 30g one would fragrance a room for about 12 to 15 hours. So if yours are 10g for example, dividing that time by 3 would be a very rough way of working out the fragrancing time. There's no hard and fast rule on how long they last as, among other things, it depends on the fragrance as well as the melter itself. In a small melter where the flame is very close to the bowl you will get a higher heat and therefore a faster evaporation (melt lasts less time) but a bigger one where the flame is further from the bowl the evaporation rate will be slightly slower.

          S.

          Comment

          Working...
          X