Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Wax Dye

Afternoon all.

So I'm looking into grabbing some natural wax dye now that its becoming a bit more available and I wondered who else has used it and if they found that they had to change their methods regarding temperature etc. I know some of you shove the dye in with the wax at the start and others add at a certain temp. We're the latter, too scared to fix what ain't broken! We add ours at 170F.

Do you think this should alter much with natural dye?

Hi Laura

I've used natural dye with soy wax throughout and just bought some paraffin dye chips to try. The company assured me I wouldn't notice any difference. I always just shove mine in at the start and, as far as colour and hot throw are concerned, my tealights are great. Jars, as you know, I'm having issues with but I don't think the dye is an issue there (although who knows!)

Marion

Comment

Speaking of which, I just saw your pink candles on facebook, (looking lovely by the way!) how much dye got you that sort of colour saturation? The sites I've looked at recommend anything between 1 and 2.5% which is a pretty big difference! I was thinking we'd start with 1% and see what happens.
      I wouldn't have thought that a different dye should change much in the candle making process but as you say, who knows! I'm sure someone on here has considered something that I haven't!

Comment

Omigosh I'd say nothing like even 1%. I use mainly dye chips from Thornes (although I do have a big pack from 4Candles to try out - not opened yet). I've also used Fullmoons dyes too. Anyway, the last batch I made was 3 of those square jars (thank you - I'm glad you like them) which have a total capacity of 513g. I use 9% FO so had 471g wax and 42g FO. To that I added probably a large-ish chip, maybe about the size of my thumbnail (I have small hands) - say 1cm square - no larger. If I think it's still a bit pale I might add half as much again. I don't even think the dye I use would register on the scales. I think I used either Pale Pink or Rubine colour for that pink jar and I probably added some ivory to warm it up a bit. But I honestly can't remember. Because I'm wick testing I'm not really paying attention to the exact colour at this stage.

The colour is always a bit more muted with soy (as you know) so I don't get the really vibrant colours, although some have been quite bright. I am a bit of a dye addict - it's so cheap to buy and I love having 6 different greens etc. I also keep a supply of ivory dye to warm up other colours. Mixing dyes is my favourite bit.

That said, I'm using small-ish quantities - rarely more than 500g at a time. It's possible if you went up the quantities you might have to pay more attention to how much dye you use.

HTH,

Marion

Comment

Thanks Marion, it's good to know as a starting point at least. I didn't want to go throwing in 2% and coming out with a ridiculous colour! As you'll have seen from our candles we have very muted tones with a few bright colours to vary it. We also make our votives and wax melts a bit more saturated. Going from what you've said I might start with some votives because if they come out too bright it'll be a good thing!

Comment

Ordered a few colours from That Flaming Candle Company, just took delivery of some new large jars and there's a new fragrance on the way so I'm quite eager to have a play now!

Comment

One thing you have to be careful of with natural wax dye is determining what it actually is. With the phrase "natural wax dye", is it wax dye that is natural or is it dye suitable for natural wax? The phrase could be read in both ways. Best to ask the company you buy it from which type it is.
              Stephen
              Website - Soy of the North
              Blog - If Soy Candles Could Talk
              Twitter - random thoughts
              Facebook - more random thoughts

Comment

I agree, some are rather vague! I don't like websites that say it's just dye suitable for candle making, or as you said, natural wax dye without telling me either what it's made of or at least stating whether it is a natural substance itself.
                It's tough enough to find a good range of colours for natural wax as it is without facing those dilemmas!

Comment

I have some neon ones which I believe are suitable for all types of wax so will try some out on tealights first to see how they look. But not yet - the jars ... the jars ... (seeing them in my sleep!)

Comment

Originally posted by soyofthenorth View Post
                    One thing you have to be careful of with natural wax dye is determining what it actually is. With the phrase "natural wax dye", is it wax dye that is natural or is it dye suitable for natural wax? The phrase could be read in both ways. Best to ask the company you buy it from which type it is.
                    Is it possible to get wax dye that IS natural then? If so, do you know of any suppliers because I'm struggling to find any!

I checked out thornes and 4candles but could only find synthetic dyes, am I missing something

Comment

Flaming Candle Company (I belive it's CandleMan on here?) have some natural dyes and 4c's do some - right at the bottom of the page! Think they're the same colours and there's not an awful lot of choice on the market right now so we're starting with the bare bones and will then mix to get the other colours we need once we know the strengths.

Comment

Originally posted by LauraShayler View Post
                        Flaming Candle Company (I belive it's CandleMan on here?) have some natural dyes and 4c's do some - right at the bottom of the page! Think they're the same colours and there's not an awful lot of choice on the market right now so we're starting with the bare bones and will then mix to get the other colours we need once we know the strengths.
                        Bagsy...she right again, I can recommend both companies highly.

Comment

Originally posted by LauraShayler View Post
                          At the bottom of the dye page (on 4 candles) do you mean the impex for soy wax, is that natural? it doesn't say what its made from. Also its paraffin based doesn't it defeat the object of using soy wax if adding paraffin based dye? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but not sure thats what I'm looking for.

Comment

Well according to Inpex themselves - they provide a 'natural candle making dye' rather than some other sites that say it's a 'dye suitable for natural wax'.

Using paraffin dye doesn't necessarily defeat the object of using soy wax (unless you're going for 100% pure) - especially when the quantities are so small. It just means you can't run around saying that all your candles are purely natural. Which, if you're also using FO, you can't claim anyway.

Comment

I'm using EO's so I was hoping to keep it completely natural but maybe the only way to do that would be to have colourless candles I guess. I'm still in the early stages though and its all just ideas at the moment, so not 100% sure what path i'll take at this stage, just trying to get a feel for whats possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X