Kick up the backside needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick up the backside needed

I have now made 5 jar candles, with different wicks and not happy with a single one. Seriously demotivated. Please tell me it gets better.

Marion

It certainly does! I don't know how many wick sizes and types I went through to get it right for my tins. I have narrowed it down to two now. Hoping to test the second one tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
      It certainly does! I don't know how many wick sizes and types I went through to get it right for my tins. I have narrowed it down to two now. Hoping to test the second one tonight.
      Best of luck Lou.

Marion

Comment

McMarion, it gets better! How's that?

You'll get frustrated with it sometimes, but one day it will all fall into place and everything will just work. Stick at it.

Comment

I'm with you Marion I'm doing the same thing.... it is sooooooo slow and a darn good job it's too icy to go out otherwise I would feel like screaming

Hang on in there it will come and just think how chufffed you will be then ....remember the scent throw

Comment

I do, Val. And that came. Thanks, too, Spencer - I know it makes sense but I seem to be spending a fortune on ordering different wicks (the postage!) only to find they don't work. And each time it's waiting for the candle to cure etc then waiting for it to burn wrongly. Oh just ignore me. It's very January here today! Thanks for your encouragement - it's much appreciated.

McGrumpy

Comment

It does get better, I finally have my jar candle burning properly and my hot scent throw is giving off a lovely smell. Now I just hope I can replicate it

Comment

Originally posted by Auds120 View Post
                It does get better, I finally have my jar candle burning properly and my hot scent throw is giving off a lovely smell. Now I just hope I can replicate it
                Well done, Auds120! Glad to hear it does get better. Good luck with a rerun.

Marion

Comment

Are these the square jars marion? What size jars and what types of wick have you used? I might be able to compare what we do and help you get to the bottom of it.

Comment

Hi Laura, that's really kind of you.

Jars are 75 mm diameter, squarish with rounded corners.

Wicks which tunneled (some only a little, others more): Fullmoons MP4, Scent Perfique's CSN7 & 11, 4Candles Medium wood wick cut in half to make narrower.

Wicks which burned too fast: Fullmoons MP6, 4Candles Medium wood wick (not cut)

Scent Perfique's LX16 has burned best but I now realise this type isn't cored so maybe not advisable.

Don't worry too much though - I'll just have to work through other options. Hey ho. Thanks for asking,

Marion

Comment

Have you tried any of the ECO wicks? They might be worth a go.
                      Sounds like your jars are slightly wider than our biggest so I probably can't offer a definitive tip, but we've used ECO a lot and never had problems.
                      http://www.precisionwicking.com/our-.../wedo/127.html might help as well as it's got the melt pool width of each wick!

Comment

Hi Marion

I dont use soya so this might not be helpful but they medium wood wick cut in half seems a little small especially when using scent too ....

try trimming a very small amount off the medium wick to make it a small wick...there is very little difference maybe 10mm between the small and medium 4cs wood wicks but it seems to make quite a difference...maybe worth a try

now off to sample a wee glass or two of red wine so perhaps you'd like to join me and stuff the darn candles

Comment

I haven't, Laura but willing to try anything! Can I ask what the ECO means? And are they ok for soy?

Just had a look at your website and it is absolutely lovely. I must browse properly later. Love the look of your jars.

Thanks so much for helping,

Marion

Comment

Thank you! We went to town on the packaging - so you get the homemade feel with a 'professional' finish :P

We actually had them recommended when we first bought our stock so, listening to the experts we took what they suggested and never had an issue!

They're flatwicks and are recommended for natural wax containers, we also had the option to have them coated in natural wax. I don't know if everybody gives you this option and what you will get if there isn't one so keep an eye out! They're also self-trimming, though I have had to trim on occasion, but you can't win 'em all!

Comment

Those of us who buy them....really appreciate the work that is gone into making them! So thank you for your determination!

Comment

Working...
                              X