Candle Making Courses or Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candle Making Courses or Books

Hi, I have joined the forum today and I'm really interested in learning how to make my own scented candles (given how much money I give to Yankee!).

I live in Shropshire and the nearest classes I've found are in Birmingham or Warrington. Does anybody know of any training either local classes or online?

Or could anybody recommend the best books for a beginner.

Thanks for any advice and I look forward to getting to know you all.
    Please come see me on:

Facebook
    Twitter

Or on my blog Candles From Home

Plush Folly (www.plushfolly.com) have some home study courses.

Comment

Have you tried making candles already?

I'd recommend buying a kit to begin with. The kits are designed so that you get all the ingredients you need, you just have to follow the instructions. Once you've had a go you can always buy the ingredients separately and have a go at your own creations then.

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
        Plush Folly (www.plushfolly.com) have some home study courses.
        Has anyone tried their courses? I wonder if there's the remotest chance this type of course would short-cut all this flipping testing which is so frustrating.

Marion

Comment

I don't think there are any shortcuts!

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
            I don't think there are any shortcuts!
            I thought you might say that

Comment

Originally posted by DaCosta View Post
              Have you tried making candles already?

I'd recommend buying a kit to begin with. The kits are designed so that you get all the ingredients you need, you just have to follow the instructions. Once you've had a go you can always buy the ingredients separately and have a go at your own creations then.
              No I haven't had ago yet, I was hoping to join a night class at our local college, but no luck.

I'm watching a kit on ebay at the moment, so that will be a start.

Thanks for the advice
              Please come see me on:

Facebook
              Twitter

Comment

Thanks for the advice on Plush Folly, I'll take a look.

Have you tried one of their courses?
                Please come see me on:

Facebook
                Twitter

Comment

I haven't but did watch the video on how to make a container candle as a starting point ~ http://plushfolly.com/videos/how-to-...tainer-candle/

Comment

Just watched this video...so excited, I want to have ago now!
                    Please come see me on:

Facebook
                    Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Rose View Post
                      Just watched this video...so excited, I want to have ago now!
                      I thinks its a good start but doesn't explain wick sizes and working out how much wax, fragrance oil to use.

Comment

I can give some insight into Plush Folly. I did not do their home candle making kit but I did have their distance learning perfume kit and for Christmas I got their candle making kit.

Candle kit - it comes with about 800g of soya wax, three scents, a small dye chip, nightlight containers and wicks that are primed, braided wicks and tiny glass and tin containers which are pointless for testing throw etc. it comes with printed but not particularly advanced instructions ie after reading here I discovered you need to consider wax and container temperature and quality of fragrance used plus wick sizing. It wasn't expensive at 15 quid and is an okay way to start as I'm a beginner too.

i have seen other candle kits that contain thermometers as part of the kit which would probably be better plus I have no idea about the quality of either their wax or fragrances. They need to be used in high quantities to give good throw in candles as they are primarily for bath and body products.

PF will give you a basic starting point but you need to do lots of research and reading to fill in gaps and perfect candle making. If you look at their past students, there is one that have a candle business so maybe doing their in person courses might be better, I just thought it looked like a pain to get to.

the perfume home learning course - cannot give a completely accurate review since I didn't follow it as directed. I got a box of supplies and access to their learning materials through their website as downloadable PDFs. They go module by module and the perfume making had 4 modules - it was a mix of information I.e history of scents, simple blending tips etc to about 2 recipes per module. Now here's the bit I didn't use which sounds useful - during a PF home course you can contact them with any concerns or questions, you are required to complete assignments and send samples to them.

i think it was tough because scent blending is a difficult science so while some things were easy, I was out of my depth in others. I do still refer to those PDFs though.

Their courses could be good if you keep in contact with them during the process but since I live in London where there is always a lot going on, I think I will find a candle course here that I can physically go to and ask questions on the spot without doing the amount of guesswork that home learning takes.

Comment

So ... only all the things that go wrong then!

Comment

Hi Anna Rose you do know there is no escape now don't you...... you are hooked

What worked for me might not work for you but I would read every darn thing you can on this forum, there is more info on here than you will ever find in a book, if you have the time

.........and then just do it, you will find it is not as easy as it looks but it is sooo worthwhile and if you keep it simple to start with you will get along just fine... I foolishly jumped right in and 'enjoyed' many a night testing, testing, testing.

The only way to learn is to have a go and learn by your mistakes, there's plenty of people on here who will help you if you get stuck. I don't know what I would have done without the support ... pulled my hair out probably, especially when I was trying to get a scent throw.

Have fun and

val

Comment

Some great advice again...do a runner while you still can :-)

My tip? Simple. Don't do any course, unless its free. I was in the same boat only a couple of months back.

Get actively involved here, read, read and then read some more.

Buy LOADS of supplies and then make candles, making lots of mistakes and then learning from them.

Good luck. :-)

oh and my personal tip, would be to buy lots of wine!!!!!!!! Red of course :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X