Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Un/Waxed wick

It's the weekend!

I have been using unwaxed wicks in my tin candles and after all the testing think I have chosen the one to use. However, I am now wondering whether I should use waxed wicks as that is what most customers will be used to? If so, does wax wick act differently and will I need to do all my testing again.

Be interested in people's thoughts on unwaxed vs waxed wick.

Thanks.

Happy weekend!

I shall be off into my loft for some wax melting time soon!!!

I buy mostly unwaxed wick because not only is it slightly cheaper than pre-waxed wick, but it's also no great hassle to wax it myself.

Note that all wick should be primed / waxed before you put it in a candle. Priming serves several purposes but it's mainly to ensure there is no air in the wick and to provide some instant fuel for the flame so there's something to burn before the melt pool builds.

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
      It's the weekend!

I have been using unwaxed wicks in my tin candles and after all the testing think I have chosen the one to use. However, I am now wondering whether I should use waxed wicks as that is what most customers will be used to? If so, does wax wick act differently and will I need to do all my testing again.

Be interested in people's thoughts on unwaxed vs waxed wick.

Thanks.
      Yes its the weekend ~~~when I have to work!!! Shouldn't complain -I only do 6 hours a week!!
      Have you been using un-waxed wick or pre waxed?
      If I recall correctly Spencer said it's best to wax wick as it expels any pockets of air from the wick preventing the candle from spluttering and the flame flickering.
      I buy unwaxed wicks by the metre and cut off what I need, throw it into the wax I'm melting, wait for the bubbles to stop around the wick then take out, squeeze out excess wax, lie flat until stiff (the wick not me!) Then fit my sustainer. It only takes a few minutes to do and is way cheaper than buying waxed wicks..but not so convenient.
      Hope this helps

I can hear NHS 24 calling in the distance!!!

Isabel

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post

Note that all wick should be primed / waxed before you put it in a candle. Priming serves several purposes but it's mainly to ensure there is no air in the wick and to provide some instant fuel for the flame so there's something to burn before the melt pool builds.
        For all the reading I have done, I did not know that!

Comment

For all the reading I have done, I did not know that!
          Learn something new every day eh?

As Isabel says above, air trapped in the wick due to it not being primed can cause a sputtering flame when burning, so it's best to get rid of it by priming. Again, just the way Isabel described above works well.

Also, think about how long even a small melt pool can take to form. If your wick is not primed, and therefore able to provide that small amount of fuel to the flame right away, the fuel will be the wick itself.

I've had shop bought candles in the past (before I started making them and learnt what is good and bad in terms of candles) that had no wax on the wick and after lighting, the wick quickly burnt down to the level of the wax and turned into ash.
          That meant I was just left with a jar full of wax that I couldn't burn. It went into the bin!

Comment

So, I have just had a go at priming some wicks but should have just done that then making the candle at the some time as it turned into a disaster!

I put the wick it the wax for about a minute, removed and squeezed excess and left to stiffen but then I couldn't get it through the sustainer ~ it all sort of gathered. So tried another one ~ same thing and by this time my wax with FO had cooled way too much. I have kept it ~ can I melt it and make melts or will that affect the FO?

What am I doing wrong? I was using WEDO ECO14.

Also, as I didn't prime the wax previously does it mean the testing and the wicks that work might not if waxed?

I NEED CHOCOLATE NOW!

Comment

I can empathise after a week of frustrations (all wick-related!).

First things first - chocolate on the way!

Secondly, I haven't had to do this yet as not previously used unprimed wick (I'm lazy!) but my instinct would be to add the sustainers then hold them by the sustainer and dip upside down in melted wax.

HTH,

Marion

Comment

I just so annoyed as I have finally found wicks that give good melt pools, hot throw and doesn't drink the wax and now I discover I have been doing it wrong

Just had a crunchie but in a grump!

Comment

I just so annoyed as I have finally found wicks that give good melt pools, hot throw and doesn't drink the wax and now I discover I have been doing it wrong

Just had a crunchie but in a grump!
                  Hold on tho', Crunchie Muncher! If it's been working fine for you, maybe something in your own particular method means it's ok not to prime the wicks. If it ain't broke etc etc.

Wick-demented Marion

Comment

It's not that you're doing it 'wrong', just that it would be recommended practice to prime wicks rather than not for the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread.

Don't worry, you won't be starting the testing process over again, so put that Curly Wurly down!

Comment

I am going to buy some bigger sustainers as I think that is the problem.
                      Glad I don't have to test again!
                      Oh ~ I like a curly wurly!

Comment

I am going to buy some bigger sustainers as I think that is the problem.
                        Glad I don't have to test again!
                        Oh ~ I like a curly wurly!

Well I've not had a cruchie or a curly wurly but I have just had some chow mein and the stupid mutt has just eaten the remnants off my plate causing her instant indigestion ...racing for the back door every 2 mins to eat some grass stupid stupid dog (owner!)
                        Anyway back to wicks. I use 20mm sustainers and they wick with no problems. If you can get unwaxed wick through the hole of your sustainer you should be able to get waxed through. cut the top of the wick you're threading through at an angle to make a point and it should go. If, when you squeeze the excess wax off the newly primed wick, you get a blob of cold wax at one end just cut it off. Can't see any reason for you not using the wax for melts. Take heart Lou, it will all come together!!!
                        Now, it's my turn again to stand outside in the freezing cold while the dog grazes on some grass.....hurry up and be sick for goodness sake

Isabel (devoted dog owner!)

Comment

Haha isabel. Some nice tips there.

Comment

And how is the dog now???

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
                              And how is the dog now???
                              Bright eyed and bushy tailed....unlike her owners.
                              We spent half the night out in the back garden with her (she's scared of the dark!)
                              But back to her usual self now!
                              Ix

Comment

Working...
                              X