Wood wicks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood wicks?

I had never even heard of wood wicks until I joined this forum about a week ago but because of all the posts about them, I thought I'd check them out on google and tbh, I don't really like the look of them. So I'm curious, why do people choose them, what are the perks? Do they burn better? Do they cost less? Are they easier to use? If you use them, is it instead of the old style wick or do you still use both depending on the type of candle. I'm debating on whether or not to get some with my next stock order so all input is appreciated thanks

Hi
    They're certainly not cheaper..quite the opposite but they do make wicking containers slightly easier. If the candle is fragranced the wood wick crackles as it burns giving a pleasing sound and a slight aroma of wood burning. They're used on their own not with a conventional wick. All in all they're just a wee bit different.
    Hope this helps

Isabel

Comment

Hi Squeakyclean And welcome!

Perks = Slightly different to the norm so they're a great talking point for potential customers
      Burn better = Than what? Conventional wicks? Very different so incomparable.
      Cost less = Noooooooooooooooooo!
      Easier to use = Yes. And no.

I use both wood wicks and conventional cotton wicks, but mainly cotton as I'm predominantly a pillar candle maker.

I would suggest getting a few with your next supplies order, if only to give them a go.
      Then at least you can make an educated decision over whether or not all the fuss is worth it.

Comment

I would echo what Isabel says - they are a doddle to wick, although much more expensive. You could try buying just one pack and see how you get on. Good luck!

Marion

Comment

Thanks for your quick responses guys that was very helpful. I think I will get some with my next order and have a play around to see what I make of them

Comment

welcome to the mad house ......

I love wood wicks and have had very good response so far but they are not for everyone. They are much more expensive and can be tempermental but so can ordinary wicks. They are so easy to use and look fantastic when they are lit, I love the way you can see the wick through the melt pool giving a layered look...plus the sound and the flickering flame ....big hit with me but I can see that they would drive some people nuts.

Have fun experimentling, they are well worth playing with.

val

Comment

Originally posted by sheddie View Post
              welcome to the mad house ......

I love wood wicks and have had very good response so far but they are not for everyone. They are much more expensive and can be tempermental but so can ordinary wicks. They are so easy to use and look fantastic when they are lit, I love the way you can see the wick through the melt pool giving a layered look...plus the sound and the flickering flame ....big hit with me but I can see that they would drive some people nuts.

Have fun experimentling, they are well worth playing with.

val
              As Val says, they don't suit everyone. At least one customer said to me she found them VERY annoying and wouldn't buy a wood wick candle.

Marion

Comment

I think they are like marmite ......

Comment

Originally posted by sheddie View Post
                  I think they are like marmite ......
                  Nail on the head, Val!

Comment

Wooden Wick and Wax Suppliers

Could anyone point me in the right direction of a good wood wick and soy wax supplier.

Many Thanks

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by doyhard View Post
                      Could anyone point me in the right direction of a good wood wick and soy wax supplier.

Many Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian
                      Welcome to the house of fun!
                      I buy my Soy and wood wicks from 4Candles. I haven't been able to find any cheaper in the UK but maybe someone else has.
                      Hope this helps.

Isabel

Comment

Hi Brian and welcome! (you know you're trapped now, don't you???)

Anyway I buy my soy wax CB 135 from Thornes for just under £90 for 25 kg. I don't think it's the cheapest but I've done all my experimenting/testing using this so don't want to change now. I don't know of anyone else other than 4Candles who sell wood wicks in the UK.

Happy chandling!

Marion

Comment

It is cheaper to buy and import the wood wicks from the US although if you are only looking for a few 4C's would be handier.

C

Comment

Originally posted by Clarabell View Post
                            It is cheaper to buy and import the wood wicks from the US although if you are only looking for a few 4C's would be handier.

C
                            C
                            I've PM'd you about that very subject!

Isabel

Comment

I brought one to see what they are like, it only cost £2.70 votive sized by the WW company, I love them, love the sound, so get cracking people and make them as you've got a customer here already lol

Yeah, Yeah I know.. I Could make them myself but I'll stick to what I'm good at

Comment

Working...
                              X