Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pouring tonight

Here'e tonights efforts in my lovely new tins
    Tried embeds, what did I learn? It aint as easy as it looks and Soy XL certainly can't be used for embeds.
    The first lot are Soy and the second, waiting for their second pour, are paraffin. I've tried a selection of wicks to see which are best. Aesthetically they're not great but they'll do for testing burn and scent throw. I think I may have to buy some Soy pillar blend to for embeds XL is too soft.
    Advice would be greatfully received on the best way to plant embeds.
    P1000013.JPGP1000016.JPGP1000018.JPG

Well done, Isabel. I think the orange ones look brilliant and I LOVE the tins. Think I'm going off the idea of chandling tonight. Too tired. Might go and look out some wool and start knitting instead. Good for you, though. I'll be picking your brains when I get round to tins and embeds!

Marion

Comment

Tonight I'll be mostly pouring something else :-)

eh I'll tell you what these a cracking well done you. Some talented boys and girls on here.

Little tip re the wood wicks. They look a little high on the pics. Cutting them in situ could prove difficult leading the movement. This might not be the case with you but I thought worth pointing out.

Keep em coming.

Comment

I do tins but only do embeds in the paraffin ones, I attempted soy chunks once with XL and they were far too crumbly, and haven't had time to try pillar blend, they should be easier though as I've done pillar embeds for glasses

Comment

Originally posted by Robsmithimages View Post
          Tonight I'll be mostly pouring something else :-)

eh I'll tell you what these a cracking well done you. Some talented boys and girls on here.

Little tip re the wood wicks. They look a little high on the pics. Cutting them in situ could prove difficult leading the movement. This might not be the case with you but I thought worth pointing out.

Keep em coming.

Thanks for the tip Rob, Ive got a wee tool that cuts wood wicks but I think you're right it would be easier to cut them to length before pouring.

Having a wee refreshment tonight?...thats not like you, I thought you only drank on the days that ended in Y!!!

Cheers

Isabel

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
            Well done, Isabel. I think the orange ones look brilliant and I LOVE the tins. Think I'm going off the idea of chandling tonight. Too tired. Might go and look out some wool and start knitting instead. Good for you, though. I'll be picking your brains when I get round to tins and embeds!

Marion
            Thanks Marion
            Disappointed with the soy embeds - they just bled into the wax, they were inpossible to cut because the wax is so crumbly. I liked doing the paraffin ones just need to find out the best way to plant them.
            They'll do for test burns to try out the wicks/scent.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicky View Post
              I do tins but only do embeds in the paraffin ones, I attempted soy chunks once with XL and they were far too crumbly, and haven't had time to try pillar blend, they should be easier though as I've done pillar embeds for glasses
              Thanks wicky you're right the XL is way too soft to work with. The paraffin ones seem to be a wee bit more successful. How do you plant your embeds?

Isabel

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                Thanks Marion
                Disappointed with the soy embeds - they just bled into the wax, they were inpossible to cut because the wax is so crumbly. I liked doing the paraffin ones just need to find out the best way to plant them.
                They'll do for test burns to try out the wicks/scent.
                Good luck with the testing anyway. I can't believe how much testing there is to do!

Marion

Comment

Thanks wicky you're right the XL is way too soft to work with. The paraffin ones seem to be a wee bit more successful. How do you plant your embeds?

Isabel
                  i just plant them when the wax has a skin over it, but is slightly more hard underneath (so they don't sink)..... I just push them in, or just a little skewer to make a little hole and push them into it

Comment

Originally posted by Wicky View Post
                    i just plant them when the wax has a skin over it, but is slightly more hard underneath (so they don't sink)..... I just push them in, or just a little skewer to make a little hole and push them into it
                    Thanks Wicky
                    I tried that. but the wax must have been to liquid under the skin because they just broke all around the surface of the candle. I've just done a 2nd pour on the paraffin ones and planted them when it became opaque with better results.

Isabel

Comment

Hi Isabel,

Don't be disappointed! They look great.
                      And if you're truly not happy with them, just think of it as a learning experience.

Imagine if you'd taken an order for 50 of these things and had never made them before and THEN you found out the wax is too crumbly for cutting embeds and the colour bleeds... That's learning the hard way (how I did most of my learning!).
                      So look at it as a success. You've learnt a valuable lesson in the art and you'll no doubt produce results that you're more happy with next time.

I look forward to hearing about how they burn.

As for placing the embeds.... Two ways:

1) Place them on the first pour wax just before you do the second pour and pour really gently around them.
                      2) Drop them in VERY gently just at the point the surface of the wax is clouding over.

Comment

Once again I agree with him!!!! :-)

Was just thinking though Isabel. From a sales point of view and managing customer expectations. Would I expect a natural soy candle to be all fancy or just the soy looking all natural and beautiful? Eg you wouldn't see beeswax all 'fancy' nor would you expect it to be.

Just a thought.

I still refer you to my original thoughts that they look great and shows your talents off.

Comment

Originally posted by Robsmithimages View Post
                          Once again I agree with him!!!! :-)

Was just thinking though Isabel. From a sales point of view and managing customer expectations. Would I expect a natural soy candle to be all fancy or just the soy looking all natural and beautiful? Eg you wouldn't see beeswax all 'fancy' nor would you expect it to be.

Just a thought.

I still refer you to my original thoughts that they look great and shows your talents off.
                          Yes I think your right (again) Less is more when it comes Soy. I think I'll save the embeds for paraffin.

Isabel

Comment

Happier with the paraffin ones except Ifilled one of the hearts too high and got the mark of the lolly stick on the surface
                            I tried the pour around technique with the smaller round one and the spludge with the larger - not so good.
                            Made some melts with the leftovers.

P1000020.JPGP1000021.JPGP1000022.JPG

Comment

Happier with the paraffin ones except Ifilled one of the hearts too high and got the mark of the lolly stick on the surface
                              I tried the pour around technique with the smaller round one and the spludge with the larger - not so good.
                              Made some melts with the leftovers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34644[/ATTACH]
                              The middle right hand side one looks cool. Was that the "pour around" one?

As for "spludge"... I'm lost for words. Kind of reminds me of an old Hagar The Horrible comic strip where he was eating an apple and the speech bubble to show the noise just said "Scrotch". Spludge is very apt for the act of dropping embed into wax and (as I call it) smooshing them down.

Comment

Working...
                              X