Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonky wicks

So I have wonky wicks.
    Probably because I use glue dots and the sustainers come away from the bottom? I use two lollipop sticks to hold the wick taught.
    Should I use super glue and get some wick centering tools?
    Thanks, L

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
    So I have wonky wicks.
    Probably because I use glue dots and the sustainers come away from the bottom? I use two lollipop sticks to hold the wick taught.
    Thanks, L
    I've just bought wick centring tools but not had the chance to use them yet. Will report back.

Marion

Comment

Super, thanks Marion!

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
        So I have wonky wicks.
        Thanks, L
        Lou,
        I've got some and they're ok if the fit the container you're using. 4c's do them in three sizes but I found they didn't always fit the container i use. I mostly use lolly sticks with tiny bulldog clips to hold them tight. (thanks Spyder)
        If I'm using a glass container I draw around the base and mark the centre then stick the glass back on the template and place the sustainer over the dot. If the container ia opaque I try to do fine pencil lines on the base to help me centre.
        As for gluing the sustainers I use small slivers of double sided sticky pads. Glue dots are rubbish and I have a very poor track record with super glue, I tend to get glue everywhere but where I need it causing alsorts of mayhem (and damage!)

Isabel

Comment

You'll find it's not so much about how you secure the wicks at the top as how you secure them at the bottom.

Personally I've never got on very well with glue dots, wick stickums, hot glue guns or superglue for attaching sustainers to containers. In fact I have a funny feeling that superglue doesn't work very well on glass anyway.

Which is why I pour the wax first then sink my sustainers into the setting wax at the bottom of the candle.
          After a few minutes you can pull the wick straight and use your centering tool, chopstick, clothes peg or other chosen method to hold the wick straight and taught.

Sounds far more complicated than it is.

Comment

A while ago Spencer said something which I suspect I misunderstood. Anyway, as a result of misunderstanding whatever he said (beginning to sound like an episode of Yes Minister) I tried using 2 think drinking straws. I put the first straw over the wick then put straw + wick (sustainer sticking out the end) down into the wax and centred it. I left it there for a few mins until it was becoming tacky then I put the other straw into the jar and down, pressing the sustainer down. While pressing I withdrew the straw that was over the wick, without disturbing the wick. I then pulled the other straw out gently and tiptoed away before the wick noticed. It seemed to work but I think I forgot to do it with the next test jar ... so I might try it again tonight or tomorrow.

Marion (easily confused and forgetful - practising for dotage)

Comment

That's exactly how I do it, but with only one straw.

Pour the wax into the container and wait for about a cm of the wax at the bottom to get cloudy as it sets.
              Poke the wick up the straw so just the sustainer is poking out the bottom.
              Using the straw, push the sustainer into the centre of the setting wax and down to the bottom of the container.
              Remove the straw and let the wax cool for a further 5 minutes or so.
              Use your wick centering device to hold the wick taught and straight, et voila!

Comment

I too now do the exactly the same as Spencer (thanks to a post I read from Spencer) and it works brilliantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Auds120 View Post
                  I too now do the exactly the same as Spencer (thanks to a post I read from Spencer) and it works brilliantly.

Glad to be of help

Takes a little practice to get it right but it's far easier than faffing about with glue, I'm sure you'll agree!

Comment

I swear by glue for tealights though. I use a lump of glue and rub the sustainer over it to pick up a bit then stick it to the cup. But I don't heat these prior to pouring so the wick does stay put. Doesn't work for jars though as I heat them.

Comment

That's what I do too Marion, glue gun for tealights and for anything else I use a biro case with the biro itself removed. It then becomes a rigid straw like contraption.......

I read Spencer's post too..... all these damsels and damsons in distress, enter Spencer to the rescue

Oh and I've got the three sizes of centring tools from 4C's but find the same they are only good for the exact fit container... then they work brilliantly.....

valx
                      Last edited by sheddie; 18-01-2013, 10:37 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

I use the "slushy bottom" method for tea-lights. It doesn't take long for tea lights to set so it works fine. I've used the biro trick too but ended up going back to my sticky pads.

Isabel

Comment

Haha, "slushy bottom"...

No idea why that made me laugh so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                            Haha, "slushy bottom"...

No idea why that made me laugh so much!

Spenceeerrr!!
                            Behave!!!
                            I presume you're snowed in somewhere since you're on here during school hours? If not get back to work there could be ailien snowmen trying to get in to the country as we speak.

Isabel

Comment

I live 60 miles away from where I work. First sign of snow and I was out of that office quicker than Usain Bolt!

Although I am guilty of spending a chunk of my work day perusing the forums too

No illegal alien snowmen were encountered during my shift today!

Comment

Working...
                              X