Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4CS Wood Wicks

ITS' TESTING NIGHT!!!!!

So ... I have 2 jar candles burning merrily away. One has a 4Cs Medium Wood wick while the other has the same wick sliced in half to make it thinner and that's the one that's worked best.

This is good news because it means I have 4 wicks from one. The wicks are so long and my jars quite dumpy so I can cut them in half widthways and now it looks as if each half can be split lengthways. But ... (there's always a but) ... I noticed when I was splitting the wicks that each seemed to be made up of 2 thing bits pressed together. And when I burned the thicker wick it actually began to divide (my trademark Y shape - it's following me, I swear!) The thinner one has also split a bit but as it's quite thin it's less noticeable.

Other than that, I'm delighted, although I haven't heard a single crack or spit. Good hot throw on my usual 9% FO.

Marion

Hi Marion.

Great news am so pleased for you. I've had similar results but felt the fatter one gave the better melt pool over three hours. I was using the status jars from mister chips though.

For me the crackling came on second and so on burns. The further down the jar the more echoey the noise.

Comment

I presume the "2 thing bits" is actually 2 thin bits
      4C's wicks are 2 ply and I have noticed, that before they're burned they can sometime de-laminate(Whoooo big word but probably wrong!)
      However my wicks seem to curl over slightly as they burn so don't separate. I think the Y could be some kind of supernatural sign

Isabel

Comment

I suspect you're right, Isabel! I'll market it as a design feature.

Thanks for the info re crackling, RWR - I'll let you know!

Marion

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
          , RWR - I'll let you know!

Marion
          Right Marion. I thought we had an agreement???????? Drop the RWR of else I'll send spencer Norris to sort you out. :-) hahahahah

Comment

Oops, my bad!

(goes off to give self a talking to ...)

Comment

Woodwicks the candle company have a newish design pending x wood wick is there latest range as they believe it gives an improved burn and crackle. Not sure how they can patent / copy wright an X. But hey ho.

Got me thinking though re the design of a woodwick. I know we have some very talented scroll saw workers on here :-) so perhaps the following suggestion might be an opportunity?

swedish candles anyone????????

yep instead of having a flat wick or indeed a X why not have the roaring Swedish (log) candle whereby there is a whole in the middle cut by criss cross lines across the wood (log).....? So am saying a small alternative to the woodwick which you would place in containers etc but the wick is of a Swedish candle design. Hope this makes sense.

interested to know if this can be done and if the burn would work, would certainly improve the crackle.

Comment

I'd never had the inclination to have a play with wood wicks until reading these latest threads. Damn you lot!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LauraShayler View Post
                  I'd never had the inclination to have a play with wood wicks until reading these latest threads. Damn you lot!!!

Remeber the words of this forums theme song - "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!"
                  (Hotel California for those too young to know!!

Isabel

Comment

Oh, now I have that song stuck in my head again!!!!

Comment

Vastly overrated and a one hit wonder. Now Jefferson airplane. Now that a different matter :-)

so spence can you invent a Swedish log woodwick?

Comment

Originally posted by Robsmithimages View Post
                        Vastly overrated and a one hit wonder. Now Jefferson airplane. Now that a different matter :-)

so spence can you invent a Swedish log woodwick?

The Eagles were one hit wonders?!!!! Sort yourself out man!
                        I agree about JA though!
                        Spencer can do anything!
                        I would love to see what these Swedish wicks look like I can't get a picture in my mind from your description Rob.
                        Isabel

Comment

I'm not old enough to know either of those groups... (I wish!)
                          But I am named after one of the greatest bands that ever was...

A Swedish Log Candle type wick would be great, but not sure possible. Could you Imagine how thin the cuts would have to be?? For those of you that don't know what a SLC is, It's a log standing on end with a cross cut down from the top end almost all the way down. You then light the thing in the cut. They burn hot and you can put pans on them and cook.

I think for more information on these we should put out a call for our friend Sheila (Tartan Witch) to show up!!

(Does the link to the pic work?)

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post

(Does the link to the pic work?)
                            I can't open it, Spencer. So ... I can't hear Hotel California without Joe Walsh's yowling guitar solo going round in my head (just after "you can never leave"). Fab.

Also a fan of Jefferson and Fairport Convention (for the real oldies round these parts). I've seen Richard Thompson live, twice in recent years and he doesn't disappoint. Also appeared with Danny Thomson of Pentangle. Ooh, I can feel a Sandy Denny CD night approaching.

Anyway, back on track - a friend told me she had been given a candle with a cross-shaped wood wick so now I'd like to know if we can buy these. Anyone know?

Marion

Comment

Not a candle in our sense of the word, but it's called a Swedish Log Candle.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X