Aluminium tins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminium tins

I've just ordered some aluminium tins to try them out.
    They're 64mm across and I plan to use my mix of soy XL and 135 with 9% FO probably no dye but possibly coloured inserts (getting brave)
    I use CSN wicks and would probably start testing with a CSN16 and go up or down from there. But, assuming that the aluminium will heat up with the flame should I be looking at under wicking to start with?

Isabel

Hi Isabel.

I used the big fat wood wicks in them!!!!! Melt pool and a half!!!! It's was beeswax so there was no worries on a scent throw etc. to be fair the tin didn't heat up that much, all dependent on how big you want the pool?

Comment

Originally posted by Robsmithimages View Post
      Hi Isabel.

I used the big fat wood wicks in them!!!!! Melt pool and a half!!!! It's was beeswax so there was no worries on a scent throw etc. to be fair the tin didn't heat up that much, all dependent on how big you want the pool?
      Thanks Rob, I will probably do some with wood wicks too but wanted to use "ordinary" wicks as well. So did you use a large wick for that kind of diameter? I was thinking small/medium.

Comment

Looking forward to hearing how it goes, Isabel. Tins possibly on my list of things to try ...

Marion

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
          Thanks Rob, I will probably do some with wood wicks too but wanted to use "ordinary" wicks as well. So did you use a large wick for that kind of diameter? I was thinking small/medium.
          Hi Isabel. The big fat ones!!!!!! :-). Yep. I just used the guidelines and advice on the 4c website. Wacked them into status jars with some lovely beeswax (from a local friend). To be honest they have burnt well.

Whopps sorry that you hadn't mentioned woodwicks!!!!!!!!!! Hahaha

back to my Argentinian friend :-)
          Last edited by Robsmithimages; 16-01-2013, 11:28 PM.

Comment

I thought the only decent red stuff that came from Argentina was beef!

Comment

Hi Isabel,

Stick to your guns and start off with the wick you're familiar with. You will have some idea already of the melt pool it's capable of and that's a good start. You will notice if there is any change, i.e. if the tin conducting heat is adding to the melt pool depth and can wick up or down from there. Test test test....

On that note, RWR is right in that the tins won't het up THAT much, well not much more than a glass jar of similar size would, but they'll heat up enough to soften the wax and create that deeper melt pool. They actually heat up from the melted wax itself as well as the radiant heat of the flame. This effect if far more pronounced in a tin than in glass.

Is a deep melt pool a problem? Only if you have a wick that's not designed to handle it. A non-cored wick such as the LX range would almost certainly fall over in a deep melt pool, but a nice cotton or paper cored one (not zinc cored as you're using soy) would be able to stand up to it.

Hope that's of some help to you.

Comment

One thing that did disappointed me re the tins. That you can't see the flame after a while. We placed them like we do with most of our on top of the fire surround.

Comment

Hiya,
                  I use tins but mine are slightly bigger at 70mm across.
                  I have done some testing and this is what I found.
                  WEDO ECO 14, CSN18 and RRD50 all give an even melt pool. However, I am going to do some ECO12 testing again because my ECO14 have quite a big flame and seemed to be drinking the wax rather quickly.
                  With the CSN wicks I found the with some fragrances I got an melt pool to the edge and others I didn't.
                  Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                    Hi Isabel,

Stick to your guns and start off with the wick you're familiar with. You will have some idea already of the melt pool it's capable of and that's a good start. You will notice if there is any change, i.e. if the tin conducting heat is adding to the melt pool depth and can wick up or down from there. Test test test....

On that note, RWR is right in that the tins won't het up THAT much, well not much more than a glass jar of similar size would, but they'll heat up enough to soften the wax and create that deeper melt pool. They actually heat up from the melted wax itself as well as the radiant heat of the flame. This effect if far more pronounced in a tin than in glass.

Is a deep melt pool a problem? Only if you have a wick that's not designed to handle it. A non-cored wick such as the LX range would almost certainly fall over in a deep melt pool, but a nice cotton or paper cored one (not zinc cored as you're using soy) would be able to stand up to it.

Hope that's of some help to you.

Cheers Spencer great advice as usual, looking forward to getting started with them. I saw some lovely candles (lovely prices too) in John Lewis that had little embeds in and thought the usual......I could do that! So I'll give them a go and keep you posted.
                    @RWR (oops!) Good point you make about not seeing the flame, I must confess that never entered my head, but given I've just ordered 250 tins I'll just have to live with it!
                    @Burning it (can I as what your real name is?!!) Thanks for that advice it's really helpful. I've done a fair amount of wick testing in containers but always seem to come back to CSN. I know what you mean re the scent throw with CSN I've found all the Christmassy spicey ones worked well with them but was less impressed with the subtler scents. I haven't tried RRD and I know Marion swears by MP wicks from Full moons. Think I might order some and give them a go.

Thanks everyone progress report to follow!

Isabel

Comment

250 tins ..............wow, keep us posted on how you do with those - they're great for travelling and mobile therapists

although if they contain wood wicks, I did have a comment that someone, whilst meditating thought the place was on firealthough once they realised what it was they loved the idea ...... oh and someone else said they are too noisy so could I make some candles with just plain wicks for when they meditate .....

I am in major testing mode at the moment, it's so darn hard waiting to test them ................. off to meditate Ouuummmmmmmmm

Just ordered some wicks from Full Moons so we shall see how I get on... I use Rapeseed so lots of trial and error going on, only tried 4C's wick up to now.

val

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                        @Burning it (can I as what your real name is?!!)
                        My real name is Lou!

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
                          My real name is Lou!
                          Hi Lou....much easier than burning_it_at_both_ends!

Comment

I am making some tins tonight

Comment

Originally posted by sheddie View Post
                              250 tins ..............wow, keep us posted on how you do with those - they're great for travelling and mobile therapists

although if they contain wood wicks, I did have a comment that someone, whilst meditating thought the place was on firealthough once they realised what it was they loved the idea ...... oh and someone else said they are too noisy so could I make some candles with just plain wicks for when they meditate .....

I am in major testing mode at the moment, it's so darn hard waiting to test them ................. off to meditate Ouuummmmmmmmm

Just ordered some wicks from Full Moons so we shall see how I get on... I use Rapeseed so lots of trial and error going on, only tried 4C's wick up to now.

val
                              Haha never thought the crackle of a wood wick would put someone off meditating!

Yeah Val, I know 250 I must be mad, most sensible people would buy 1 or 2 to try! but I've had lots of people ask if I can make them so.... hopefully I will get through them. My husband will freak when they're delivered.

Good luck with the testing, I'll be with you in spirit since I'll be doing the same!

Isabel

Comment

Working...
                              X