Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to understand wick sizes?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to understand wick sizes?

    I found some wick for sale but all that the description says is

    1. 16/70/24 round wick.
    2. 16/72/24 round wick.
    3. 25mm round wick.

    Does anybody know that kind of wicks these three are and what they are suitable for?

    Thanks dudes.

  • #2
    Hi again La Vela Loca (The Crazy Candle! )

    These wick numbers can be a little mystifying, but hopefully this should help a little bit....

    The first number denotes how many spools were used to make the wick. The higher the number the larger the wick and the bigger the melt pool you'll get.

    The second number denotes the speed the wick was braided. The higher this number is the tighter the wicking and the slower the rate of wax consumption.

    The third number is for ready waxed wicks and denotes the temperature of the wax as the wick was coated.

    A wick that starts with 16 would probably be very small for anything other than tapers/dinner candles of maybe up to an inch in width.

    Comment


    • #3
      Spencer!

      You are a veritable mine of information. Is there nothing you don't know???

      McImpressed

      Comment


      • #4
        A decent cake recipe? Oh, hang on, we covered that elsewhere...

        Honestly, all I know about this craft has been learnt by a combination of reading (LOTS) of books and websites, teachings by chandlers far better than I and lots and lots of experimentation with more than a touch of trial and error.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hmm ... too modest by half!

          Comment


          • #6
            Perhaps.. But truthful...

            Comment


            • #7
              ......if I might add? We all learn by our mistakes? I've made loads of them and in fact look forward to making more, this is how I know that I'm progressing.

              Only today after a great photo shoot I came home, went to ma shed making some cherry candle holders and promptly hit my thumb with a hammer. :-() I'll be in church all flippin day on Sunday asking for forgiveness for my bad language :-)

              Comment


              • #8
                It's because you were "dissing" McMarion. The force is strong with her ...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                  Hi again La Vela Loca (The Crazy Candle! )

                  These wick numbers can be a little mystifying, but hopefully this should help a little bit....

                  The first number denotes how many spools were used to make the wick. The higher the number the larger the wick and the bigger the melt pool you'll get.

                  The second number denotes the speed the wick was braided. The higher this number is the tighter the wicking and the slower the rate of wax consumption.

                  The third number is for ready waxed wicks and denotes the temperature of the wax as the wick was coated.

                  A wick that starts with 16 would probably be very small for anything other than tapers/dinner candles of maybe up to an inch in width.
                  So they are no good for votives then, shame. What about the 25mm round wick?

                  I am looking for a wick supplier you see and although 4candles have a good range they are expensive and they don´t have zinc core wick (which I want to test).

                  Does anyone know of a decent wick supplier?

                  Thanks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by La Vela Loca View Post
                    So they are no good for votives then, shame. What about the 25mm round wick?I am looking for a wick supplier you see and although 4candles have a good range they are expensive and they don´t have zinc core wick (which I want to test).Does anyone know of a decent wick supplier?Thanks
                    You could try them, but might be a little small for votives. The round wicks, as far as I'm aware, are mainly used in the more viscous waxes like beeswax and palm wax etc. Again, if you can get a sample size piece to try before commiting yourself to large quatities you might find they work in votives.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                      You could try them, but might be a little small for votives. The round wicks, as far as I'm aware, are mainly used in the more viscous waxes like beeswax and palm wax etc. Again, if you can get a sample size piece to try before commiting yourself to large quatities you might find they work in votives.
                      Thanks for the advice. I´ve sorted it now!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by La Vela Loca View Post
                        So they are no good for votives then, shame. What about the 25mm round wick?

                        I am looking for a wick supplier you see and although 4candles have a good range they are expensive and they don´t have zinc core wick (which I want to test).

                        Does anyone know of a decent wick supplier?

                        Thanks

                        Don't know if you got an answer to the zinc core wick but you can order from Fullmoons Cauldron.

                        Isabel

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X