Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax and your prices?

Hi all

I'm currently taking a look around for some prices on soy wax container 135. Anyway i can get a 50lb bag for £70 ( thats with delivery ) and was wondering what other people are paying for wax. I know that 4c's have got it at £86 with delivery I'm just looking for more suppliers.

Thanks
    Steve

I pick it up from my local branch of Thornes and pay just under £90 for 25 kg so I think you're beating that by miles. However, I'm reluctant to change supplier, having had a bit of trouble getting hot throw, FO weight and wicks just right.

Marion

Comment

MarionT Do you make candles as a business or just for personal use?

Comment

It's a fledgling business. I have a garden plants business and adding the candles as an extra to make a bit of cash outside the growing season. I've not looked into how much cheaper I could make my candles by buying elsewhere. To be honest, I've pretty much worked out tealights so not keen to change anything in the mix. I'm struggling with jars just now - can't get the right wick. But it's quite a price difference. Where do you buy your CB135 for that price? It might be worth my contemplating a change (groan)

Marion

Originally posted by whocky View Post
        MarionT Do you make candles as a business or just for personal use?

Comment

I get it at that price from a seller who sells on ebay ( top rates seller i must add ). I will get the persons name for you and a link and you can take a look, they also sell chunks of wax ( used parrafin wax ) very cheap.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve. I might try a small batch (once I've sorted my jars out!)

Marion

Comment

what problems are you having with the jars?

Comment

Originally posted by whocky View Post
                what problems are you having with the jars?
                It's a bit of a saga.

Tried 7 different wicks, all with the same formula of wax, FO and same method (perfect for tealights). Anyway, 2 main problems: one is the wick splitting into a kind of Y shape (not the end of the world) and the other is tunneling. Only the largest wicks I've tested achieve full melt pool and those burn far too fast. The others all achieve smaller melt pools so every time they're relit another shelf appears around the edges. I've tried non-cored LX16 (which I believe isn't ideal anyway because it can flop over, bringing the flame closer to the glass), cored CSN 7 and 11 (next move is to try larger CSN as the 11 was better than 7), MP4 and MP6 and 2 widths of wood. The widest wood and the MP6 achieved a large melt pools and burned too fast.

I think the next move is large CSNs or maybe double-wicking which I really don't want to do. I think it takes away from the appearance of the candle and my jars are only 75 mm across at the widest point.

I just need to keep trucking on - I'll get there ... sometime! Thanks for asking,

Marion

Comment

Quite a price difference. But wax comes in many qualities.
                  Check out my page on various paracord projects you can make!

Comment

Marion did you try any of the Eco wicks? An 8 or 6 might work in your jar? Sorry for poking my nose in!!

C

Comment

Originally posted by Clarabell View Post
                      Marion did you try any of the Eco wicks? An 8 or 6 might work in your jar? Sorry for poking my nose in!!

C
                      Clarabell, all nose-poking gratefully accepted!

Thanks for the suggestion. Last night I ordered a variety of wicks, including ECO 6, 8 & 10 so hoping one of them is suitable. I've also ordered CSN 18 & 22 (couldn't get 20) plus some larger MPs from Fullmoons Cauldron. SURELY one of them will work???

Thanks again,

Marion

Comment

Working...
                      X