Selling candles - legal requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling candles - legal requirements

I've been dabbling in candle making and have decided to have a go at making candles to sell (together with soaps, bath bombs etc). I've noticed from some of the posts that trade approved scales aren't necessary as in soap making but what about the other legal requirements. Do you need certification, insurance, anything else? All advice appreciated

Hi mr clean.

Welcome to the forum. :-)

You're going to get many replies that will be of help, my two penneth.

You will need both public and personal insurance, safety lables, safe products that you can demonstrate, with soap you will definitely need a cert, that falls under cosmetics. I think this is quite pricey and you'll find what it is called on the soap forum. Might be a safety certification assessment.

Dont need anything like this with candle......yet!!!!!!

best of luck.

Comment

Insurance is one of the biggest requirements, but you will need this when selling any products. Labelling is another requirement to show that care should be taken with use. Other than that there are not many legal requirements specifically for candle making, it comes down to common sense. You clearly need a candle that burns safely, so take some time to perfect your candles before offering them for sale.
      David Bolger - CEO of Endless Green Group Ltd
      Retailer, Distributor and Manufacturer of Hobby, Craft and Pastime supplies

Candle Making Supplies
      http://www.thatflamingcandlecompany.com

Bolgers Woodworking Supplies
      http://www.bolgers.co.uk

Comment

Ok, so I rang my insurance company and they have quoted an annual payment of £259 for there basic package which includes public and product liability, contents, stock, goods in transit, business interruption and commercial legal defense. Seems pretty pricey to me, is this the norm?

Comment

Hi queaky

sounds reasonable to me, but am sure other can advise. My insurance is no crafty but moreover camera tech. I'm paying double but this includes off shore insurance, working at heights etc.

best of luck. There might be a specific crafty type insurance that someone can recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by squeakyclean View Post
            Ok, so I rang my insurance company and they have quoted an annual payment of £259 for there basic package which includes public and product liability, contents, stock, goods in transit, business interruption and commercial legal defense. Seems pretty pricey to me, is this the norm?

A lot of companies start basic small business insurance at around that price unless it falls into a certain craft category, not quite sure how that is defined. I am starting vintage china rental and most quotes I got were for public and product liability only. They started above £200 and none would cover my stock at a relaistic price (I could buy it all again for the excess price). It doesn't even cover for theft or breakage. I shopped around and managed to get one for £130.

Comment

Thanks Rob, what with the cost of getting the candles right and safe in the first place together with the insurance side of it, its turning out to be quite a costly venture! Better not let the other half know, don't think he'll approve I guess I don't really need to worry about getting the insurance just yet anyway, not until I'm sure I've got my products spot on, but just trying to get a feel for whats in store.

Comment

Hi squeakyclean and

I got my insurance for about £55 if my memory serves me well, it covers for the product and selling at market, cant remember the official terms and am too lazy to go find the policy but if you do a search on the site you will find plenty of recommendations.

Good luck with your candle making venture

Oh and yes it is an expensive venture but fun and you don't need the insurance until you decide to sell. If you send off for the application form you will be able to phone up and get insured immediately as long as you pay by card.

Baby steps ................and have fun

val

Comment

I was looking at insurance today and found these guys via a previous thread on this forum: http://www.craftinsurance.co.uk/insu...r-partnership/ Considering the costs mentioned above this seems reasonable.

Comment

This was the original thread: http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...craft-business

It covers everything from insurance to HMRC. Worth browsing.

Comment

Vals right (again :-) ). It can be a little prices but the rewards are amazing. Once you finally overcome all the issues I'm sure you'll create something special.

I only stopped for a coffee...now I'm a 'senior member' hahaha

good luck and keep us all informed.

Comment

Originally posted by sheddie View Post
                        Hi squeakyclean and

I got my insurance for about £55 if my memory serves me well, it covers for the product and selling at market, cant remember the official terms and am too lazy to go find the policy but if you do a search on the site you will find plenty of recommendations.

Good luck with your candle making venture

Oh and yes it is an expensive venture but fun and you don't need the insurance until you decide to sell. If you send off for the application form you will be able to phone up and get insured immediately as long as you pay by card.

Baby steps ................and have fun

val

Hi
                        I've got my insurance with Ian Wallace. Ive got public/private liability cover up to £2m plus show cancellation fees stock loss/damage etc. Mine is £82 per year. Higher than some but much less than others. Mr Wallace has a web-site check it out and you may find what your looking for.

Isabel

Comment

I'm with Isabel! My product liability is £71 per year, think its about £7 per month- no public/employers liability as it is just little old me and no one ever calls to my property! Ian Wallace has been great so would thoroughly recommend (and this coming from someone who sells insurance for a job!). In this day and age I think it's so important to have that security that should something go wrong (and we all hope and test so that it doesn't!) you have cover there!

C

Comment

Also with Ian Wallace here, about £70 or £80 for product and public liability insurance.

Marion

Comment

Just a quick note - regarding insurance, almost every fair and market requires at least £5 million. We almost made the mistake of buying lower when we realised that at least 4 of the markets we'd enquired to in our area require need 5. It's worth tacking on Employers liability as well if there's a chance you might send somebody else to do a market for or with you.

Comment

Working...
                              X