Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weighing scales

Hi,
    Can anyone suggest weighing scales (brand) that will serve me well? Jewellers scales have been suggested by Marion and I've had a look but there's so many! I'm currently using kitchen scales which seem to manage approximate, can get by with them for cake making but could do with definite for candle making. I want to know my measurements are accurate and I've got the right percentage of FO.
    I've already got so much from this forum I'm sure you'll be able to help
    Cali x

Hi Cali,

Any jewellers scales should do. Just make sure they're ones that measure down to 0.1g and you'll be set.

They're usually quite small so you're not going to be weighing out your wax on them, but they're great or weighing fragrance and dye.

You can get kitchen scales that measure down to 0.1g too, but they tend to be quite expensive.

Comment

These are the ones I bought and I find them great.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Po...item19d03d73ce

Marion (hope it's ok to paste this link)

Comment

Thank you both.
        Just placed an order and should be accurately weighing from Tuesday!
        Cali x

Comment

Hi

I have also just bought these scales noticing they go down to 0.1g.

Comment

Hi

I got these scales but everytime i put something on them i get different readings, sometimes i can put something on them and it wont even read the weight, im sure im not doing something right.

Steve

Comment

That's odd. It might be worth checking the battery is properly connection. Also (forgive me) but you have taken the cover off haven't you? I only suggest this because I couldn't work out why my scales weren't working and realised it was because, having taken them out of their sleeve, there was still a cover over the measuring plate.

Otherwise you might have been unlucky and bought a dud. I wouldn't struggle for too long - send them back if they don't improve.

Marion

Comment

hahaha Serious Marion? ( I persume that's your name ). I have just been taking it out of the sleeve and that's it, didnt know there was a plate on it. >>>> Runs to go and see

Comment

Originally posted by whocky View Post
                  hahaha Serious Marion? ( I persume that's your name ). I have just been taking it out of the sleeve and that's it, didnt know there was a plate on it. >>>> Runs to go and see

I have the same ones and did the same thing. The black plastic that reads digital scales is removable to reveal a metal plate. That's where you weigh. It's worth noting that these scales have a habit of turning themselves off if you wait to long to pour out ingredients or if the item is very light causing you to lose track of how much you've added. Happens to me all the time. However, they are great value for money.

Comment

I'm only giggling because I did exactly the same thing... Left the cover on and grumbled when they didn't work. Mine very nearly ended up in the bin!

Comment

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!!! You've both made my day.

And CANDJ's right about them turning themselves off. Have everything to hand before starting. Enjoy!

Marion (yes, that's the name!)

Comment

Spencer, I had been doing the same thing, i was putting stuff on them and not getting a reading or getting different readings that was all over the place.

It seems tht i have fallen for this as i was leaving the black plastic cover on, hahaha. On a side note though the instructions arent too clever though they are only scales i guess. lol

Thanks Marion

Comment

They do turn off after 60 seconds not sure if you can change that though.

Steve

Comment

Instructions? I didn't get those....

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                              Instructions? I didn't get those....
                              Spencer! No one would dare send you instructions - it would be an insult! Now how's that book coming along???

Marion

Comment

Working...
                              X