Wood Wicks & FO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Wicks & FO

I'm just about to try a couple of jars with wood wicks. Am I correct in thinking I read somewhere here to use less FO with wood wicks? I was thinking of coming down from 9% to 8% but happy to stay at 9 if this won't cause problems.

Marion

Hmmm.... depends on who you believe. There are some that say use less FO, but often do not provide much in the way of good reasons for this. Some say you'll get a better crackle from the wood wick if you use a higher amount of FO.

I've tested them with up to 12% and it causes no problems so 9% will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
      Hmmm.... depends on who you believe. There are some that say use less FO, but often do not provide much in the way of good reasons for this. Some say you'll get a better crackle from the wood wick if you use a higher amount of FO.

I've tested them with up to 12% and it causes no problems so 9% will be fine.
      Thanks Treasure! I must say I like my 9%. It's like a security blanket.

Off to try my first ever wood wicks. Using a medium one (full width) in one jar and a medium one (cut in half from top to bottom) in the other - I think someone said to wick down so trying both. Ooh what fun.

Is it the usual 3-ish days to cure? Wick in after pouring? Ridiculously excited. (note to self: get a life!)

Marion

Comment

Yup, everything else is the same as cotton wicks.

Have fun with it

Comment

Keep us posted with the results Marion.
          Hope they turn out well
          Cali x

Comment

Thanks, Cali & Spencer.

Done now, plus an overspill of 8 tealights, just to use up the last of the FO - raspberry blossom & honey. I did love how easy they were to wick - no concerns about it not being straight ec. I just hope they behave when they burn. Will let you know!

Moved on to scenting rosebuds and petals, plus pink amaranth heads, hopefully for Valentines sales. The house smells just a bit too fragrant tonight! Tempted to run off another batch of tealights while I'm in the mood. Either that or the ironing ...

Marion

Comment

One last questions, oh chandling gurus: do I trim the wick to about the same as a normal one? And is it easy enough to light? (ok, that's 2 questions but you know me - questions, questions, questions!)

Marion

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
                One last questions, oh chandling gurus: do I trim the wick to about the same as a normal one? And is it easy enough to light? (ok, that's 2 questions but you know me - questions, questions, questions!)

Marion
                I tend to trim the wicks to around 5mm (same as a normal wick). Lighting them is easy enough, just takes a little longer to get it going, maybe around 5-6 seconds of match/lighter contact.
                David Bolger - CEO of Endless Green Group Ltd
                Retailer, Distributor and Manufacturer of Hobby, Craft and Pastime supplies

Candle Making Supplies
                http://www.thatflamingcandlecompany.com

Bolgers Woodworking Supplies
                http://www.bolgers.co.uk

Comment

Hey! I find wooden wicks are best kept really short- I trim mine to about 3mm. I find any longer and they smoke which wooden wicks tend to do. Oh and I would keep FO @ the same as you are using!

C

Comment

Thanks, Candleman & Clarabell,

I'll split the difference and go for 4 mm! I must say they look great but I'll wait a few days before testing. Hoping some new cotton wicks arrive today so I can do more testing.

Marion

Comment

Working...
                    X