Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a Buffalo water boiler be suitable for melting wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a Buffalo water boiler be suitable for melting wax?

I´ve been looking for something that can melt large quantities of wax safely and I´m considering a buffalo manual fill water boiler. It has a concealed element, a tap and variable temperature control 30؛C-110؛C. I´m thinking I can just put a 5kg slab of wax straight in the boiler set to 85؛C wait for the wax to melt, then use the tap to fill my stainless jugs.

Would this work?????????

Hi, yes they work and very well too. Just make sure you get one where the wax does not come into direct contact with the heating element.

I don't have one myself (although very tempted) but I know several chandlers that do use them. The only complaint I've heard is the ones with plastic spigots sometimes clog because the wax cools on its way out whereas the ones with metal spigots are less likely to.

Comment

Funny this should come up..... I have two of these and they are great. Each holds 25kg comfortably. As mentioned the plastic tap will not work but two brass quarter turn taps and plumbers bill to fit cost me less than £20. Takes approx 5 hr to melt 25 kg with wax I use so flick it on in afternoon and its ready to go when kids go to bed!!

Tip though- make sure u have half an inch or so of melted wax in bottom before turning on or the hearing panel will start to ' burn'.

Thoroughly reccommend!!

C

Comment

Hi la vela.

Bit of topic u turn but getting back to setting up your business in 3 weeks. Have you seen Laura's website. Woweeee. Not bad at all. Might help?

Comment

Be careful, my head might inflate to irreversible proportions! I was going to say that flattery will get you nowhere but let's not lie...it does :P

Comment

Laura your website is looking great!! Had a wee nosey and your stuff is lovely! Well done you!!!

C

Comment

Shhh, we're at risk of godzilla ego here :P But thank you very much Clarabell, it'd great to hear some lovely feedback

And apologies for hijacking your boiler thread La Vela!

Comment

Originally posted by Clarabell View Post
                Funny this should come up..... I have two of these and they are great. Each holds 25kg comfortably. As mentioned the plastic tap will not work but two brass quarter turn taps and plumbers bill to fit cost me less than £20. Takes approx 5 hr to melt 25 kg with wax I use so flick it on in afternoon and its ready to go when kids go to bed!!

Tip though- make sure u have half an inch or so of melted wax in bottom before turning on or the hearing panel will start to ' burn'.

Thoroughly reccommend!!

C
                Great advice thanks I will order from Nisbets now. They are £96 delivered for 30 litre. Would I be right in thinking this the right size to melt 25kgs? I think changing the tap for a brass one should be fairly easy to do, if not there´s a plummers merchants round the corner from where I live that should be able to do it.

I´ve been racking my brains for days on what to buy to melt wax and I´m chuffed that this will work. The 12 x 1.5 Litre stainless steel jugs I ordered have turned up now so the buffalo boiler will suit them great.

EDIT. Just found a 30 Litre Burco for £87 delivered. Happy days!
                Last edited by La Vela Loca; 13-01-2013, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I will check the website out. As regards setting up a business in 3 weeks that´s not quite my plan. I just want enough stock to start market trading in 3 weeks. I may even buy a lock up stall

I´ve found all my suppliers now so I will complete my initial ordering by tomorrow afternoon.
                  Last edited by La Vela Loca; 13-01-2013, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X